Edwards. . . . . | Syracusefan.com

Edwards. . . . .

Once the season is beyond redemption he'll get much more time. JB has always played everyone who can help him win right now, until they cant or it doesnt matter. I'm guessing it won't matter around mid Decemberish this year

Once the season is beyond redemption he'll get much more time. JB has always played everyone who can help him win right now, until they cant or it doesnt matter. I'm guessing it won't matter around mid Decemberish this year
That's the correct assessment. The coaches haven't given up on this season and are playing the players who show best in practice and letting them have time to play together and gel as a team.

Not much evidence about “doesn’t matter” if you mean a point in a lost season. JB has always had his teams in contention for post-season (bubble or NIT), except in the probation years. Even then, he leaned heavily on his short rotation, trying to win each game.
If Edwards is going to play more, he needs to show he deserves more by his play this season.

Not much evidence about “doesn’t matter” if you mean a point in a lost season. JB has always had his teams in contention for post-season (bubble or NIT), except in the probation years. Even then, he leaned heavily on his short rotation, trying to win each game.
If Edwards is going to play more, he needs to show he deserves more by his play this season.
I would like to see a lineup of

1: Hughes
2: Buddy
3: Guerrier
4: Marek
5: Edwards

Id like to see a lineup of all the posts you’ve made about the different lineups you want to see.
There are approximately 6 that i can remember. My point is that the one strength this group of players have is versatility.
Joe: 1/2
Goodine: 1/2
Hughes1/2/3
Marek: 3/4/5
Edwards:/4/5
Bras: 3/4

The combinations i would experiment with would focus on
Getting more size on the floor and getting the ball more in Hughes hands.
Joe and Buddy up top are a huge defensive liability. That then gets magnified by having Hughes at the 3 as he is to small for the back of the zone. Regardless of my Combos the overall goal would be to get bigger. JBs zone will simply not work without size. So to answer your question i think it was 6.

I agree. For as much as JB is getting beat up on this board he has never had a season reach a "doesnt matter" point because of exactly your point, hes always been in contention. IMHO this is going to be the first year that this has a very real shot of occurring, hence the "doesnt matter" possibility.

This season's slogan. ;)

Edited that. Trivia: the movie was filmed as a Canadian tax dodge. My dad was not interested in going, so I went to the premiere in my house painting wear (it was right after work). Oh, the correct quote:
It just doesn't matter because all the really good looking women will still go out with them cause they got all the money! It just doesn't matter!

I was about to make my own thread on Jesse, and figured I'd tag it on to this one to save the mods some work. :)

Most of my posts on the forum are social and/or attempts at humor, as despite the fact that I am an extremely avid Cuse fan, my technical knowledge regarding the sports doesn't come near that of so many others here. So I leave those discussions up to them for the most part.

That being said, watching today's game (and other games), and seeing many of the posts in the game thread about him, I really wanted to chime in on this guy.

He's obviously athletic. He moves well, has great height, and a great wingspan. Despite his height, seems to have great hands, especially on those loose balls on or near the floor (cue Chip/Millhouse joke here). Many have already commented on that.

But the thing I see about him is, despite the fact that he is built like so many of our "typical" players, he has that look of a guy that can really add some great weight. I find that the shoulders are often a good indicator of a player's ability to do this. This guy's shoulders look like Dwight Howard's, minus about 80 pounds. But the thing is I can actually see this guy with that extra weight in a good way.

Another thing is he presents himself well to the ball handler. Now I don't know how much responsibility you want to put on the ball handler, and how much on the person setting the pick, but Jesse seems to body up to the defender WAY better than any of our other bigs at the top of the key when screening. Chukwu and Sidibe always seem to give a half-hearted attempt or maybe stick a leg out and get called for an illegal screen and then roll to the paint where rarely anyone wants to pass to them. But today, those picks by Jesse disrupted the defenders, freed up the ball handler, and then he slid to the basket. Now that does no good if you suck when you slide to the basket, but as I stated at the beginning of this paragraph, he presents himself so well as he slides to the basket that we had no trouble finding him. Add to that the fact that the players might have more confidence passing to him than the other bigs due to his better hands, and those plays were things of beauty.

As so many others have stated, I look forward to the development of this young kid. He could end up being a force when with some S&C when he moves to the inside of the line.

Damn I swore I wouldn't jump on that bandwagon and make that joke.

Agility and dexterity: two things he has over Sidibe.

Just for the future of the program he should be getting minutes - he looks like he has real potential - on a side not I'm just not seeing the great upside of Guerrier

I was about to make my own thread on Jesse, and figured I'd tag it on to this one to save the mods some work. :)

Most of my posts on the forum are social and/or attempts at humor, as despite the fact that I am an extremely avid Cuse fan, my technical knowledge regarding the sports doesn't come near that of so many others here. So I leave those discussions up to them for the most part.

That being said, watching today's game (and other games), and seeing many of the posts in the game thread about him, I really wanted to chime in on this guy.

He's obviously athletic. He moves well, has great height, and a great wingspan. Despite his height, seems to have great hands, especially on those loose balls on or near the floor (cue Chip/Millhouse joke here). Many have already commented on that.

But the thing I see about him is, despite the fact that he is built like so many of our "typical" players, he has that look of a guy that can really add some great weight. I find that the shoulders are often a good indicator of a player's ability to do this. This guy's shoulders look like Dwight Howard's, minus about 80 pounds. But the thing is I can actually see this guy with that extra weight in a good way.

Another thing is he presents himself well to the ball handler. Now I don't know how much responsibility you want to put on the ball handler, and how much on the person setting the pick, but Jesse seems to body up to the defender WAY better than any of our other bigs at the top of the key when screening. Chukwu and Sidibe always seem to give a half-hearted attempt or maybe stick a leg out and get called for an illegal screen and then roll to the paint where rarely anyone wants to pass to them. But today, those picks by Jesse disrupted the defenders, freed up the ball handler, and then he slid to the basket. Now that does no good if you suck when you slide to the basket, but as I stated at the beginning of this paragraph, he presents himself so well as he slides to the basket that we had no trouble finding him. Add to that the fact that the players might have more confidence passing to him than the other bigs due to his better hands, and those plays were things of beauty.

As so many others have stated, I look forward to the development of this young kid. He could end up being a force when with some S&C when he moves to the inside of the line.

Damn I swore I wouldn't jump on that bandwagon and make that joke.
You can tell when he's in the game that his teammates look for him in a way they don't look to pass down low to other players.

That tells me in practice that when he gets the ball, he finishes. They know this.

Let's get him on the Etan Thomas fitness regiment.

What a difference in a game where our 3s are actually falling. Fun game to watch as opposed to some of our stinkers this year. Let's hope they can keep it up. At least this game gives the fans some hope.

Edwards looked terrific on a couple pick and roll plays. I can't remember the last time SU executed a pick and roll with their center. That is something to look for in future games when he gets some playing time.

The other thing I'm noticing is a concerted effort this year to get down the court and get shots before opponents have a chance to set up. This could be a change in philosophy as well as a change in personnel. I think Girard is much quicker with the ball than we've seen in a pg the last few years. Marek is also showing the ability to push the ball.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SyraFreed

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom