Eli HAS to go pro | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Eli HAS to go pro

I'm thinking DNic, but I'd have to look it up.

Fun fact: Even though Lawrence Moten held the BE career scoring record for 25 years (eclipsed this year by Marquette player Markus Howard), he never won the yearly scoring title.

Correct.

Interesting point: if SU doesn't make a run in the ACC tournament, they will have missed the NCAA tourney both times they had the leading scorer in a "traditional" conference.

Eli is a great example where Boeheim and staff got it right. They knew he was going to be special even after a mediocre year at ECU. Sometimes we just focus on the misses but its nice to see home runs like this. I just wish he had a stronger supporting cast.

"Eli is a great example where Boeheim and staff got it right. They knew he was going to be special even after a mediocre year at ECU. Sometimes we just focus on the misses but its nice to see home runs like this. "

you do realize elijah came to the SU camps and we passed on him initially ? could have been 4 yrs not 2.
so when you say "they knew he was going to be special " no . they didn't. not til much later. i call miss.

Last edited:
"Eli is a great example where Boeheim and staff got it right. They knew he was going to be special even after a mediocre year at ECU. Sometimes we just focus on the misses but its nice to see home runs like this. "

you do realize elijah came to the SU camps and we passed on him initially ? could have been 4 yrs not 2.
so when you say "they knew he was going to be special " no . they didn't. not til much later. i call miss.

This is wrong. They clearly liked him, probably didnt have a spot. Eli was injured his first year at ecu so its not likw they saw him there and were like, “yea, now were convinced”

Eli should go.

His stock is not getting any higher.

He has 4 years of college life, 3 years playing BB. He has his degree. Playing one more year with this team will not propel him into a supernova. He has learned what he needs to learn here, his next growth spurt would be at the next level. He should get there ASAP and maximize that earning, and try to get into the right situation with the right organization (both of which he has no control of whether this year or next).

I wish him all the best.

This is wrong. They clearly liked him, probably didnt have a spot. Eli was injured his first year at ecu so its not likw they saw him there and were like, “yea, now were convinced”
Interesting to go back and read the Recruiting thread on Eli that started when when Zags mentioned the SU and Eli connection. Interesting takes by some folks.

Interesting to go back and read the Recruiting thread on Eli that started when when Zags mentioned the SU and Eli connection. Interesting takes by some folks.

This makes me look good. Thanks.

we wanted and got battle

we wanted and got battle
yes we stole battle from his previous commit michigan. but there were 4 players in that class (coughmoyercough) and elijah wasn't one of them. also found this comment from battle :

Battle also said Syracuse's recent announcement that associate head coach Mike Hopkins will take over in three years when Jim Boeheim is expected to retire played into his decision.

"It mattered," Battle said. "He's a great guy who will be a terrific head coach. He's high-energy, and I'm very comfortable and confident in Coach Hop."

so yes we passed on elijah first time around.so i call miss. and were damn lucky to get another chance. cuz battle's gone. and elijah is not only the best player on this team but one of the best in the ACC today.

Last edited:
yes we stole battle from his previous commit michigan. but there were 4 players in that class and elijah wasn't one of them. also found this comment from battle :

Battle also said Syracuse's recent announcement that associate head coach Mike Hopkins will take over in three years when Jim Boeheim is expected to retire played into his decision.

"It mattered," Battle said. "He's a great guy who will be a terrific head coach. He's high-energy, and I'm very comfortable and confident in Coach Hop."

so yes we passed on elijah first time. i call miss. and were damn lucky to get another chance. cuz battle's gone. and elijah is not only the best player on this team but one of the best in the ACC today.

Did we pass or not have room? Based on the evidence, it seems like the latter.

Eli is a great all-around player, level-headed, well spoken. Will be successful someplace and life in general.
Think it was after Wake Forest game that Edwards had to step in and play significant minutes-
Jesse said Eli was in his ear coaching him what to do the whole time out there. That impressed me.

Like Tyus last season -great player and quality guy that SU fans can be proud of.

yes we stole battle from his previous commit michigan. but there were 4 players in that class (coughmoyercough) and elijah wasn't one of them. also found this comment from battle :

so yes we passed on elijah first time around.so i call miss. and were damn lucky to get another chance. cuz battle's gone. and elijah is not only the best player on this team but one of the best in the ACC today.

You’re trying to revise history.

You’re trying to revise history.
from the san diego tribune :

"And to think that Hughes was pretty much overlooked. A Syracuse fan growing up, Hughes attended the Orange basketball camp and stood out. When it was time for college, Hughes said he had offers from Seton Hall, Providence, Iona, and a couple of Mid-American Conference teams, but not Syracuse. The Orange showed some interest, but had received NCAA sanctions in 2015 that limited the number of available scholarships."
“The kid grew up a Syracuse fan,” said Lebo, who left ECU a few months after Hughes. “We tried everything to try to keep him, but who can really blame a kid when he has a chance to go to his dream place?”

so yes we passed first time around. that's the history. miss.

Last edited:
The Orange showed some interest, but had received NCAA sanctions in 2015 that limited the number of available scholarships."

Battle

from the san diego tribune :

"And to think that Hughes was pretty much overlooked. A Syracuse fan growing up, Hughes attended the Orange basketball camp and stood out. When it was time for college, Hughes said he had offers from Seton Hall, Providence, Iona, and a couple of Mid-American Conference teams, but not Syracuse. The Orange showed some interest, but had received NCAA sanctions in 2015 that limited the number of available scholarships."
“The kid grew up a Syracuse fan,” said Lebo, who left ECU a few months after Hughes. “We tried everything to try to keep him, but who can really blame a kid when he has a chance to go to his dream place?”

so yes we passed first time around. that's the history. miss.
Miss? Funny because i couldve sworn i saw him playing for syracuse this past tuesday.

we brought in battle yes. also taureen thompson, matt moyer, white and gillon. passed on elijah.
don't make it sound like we had to choose between battle and hughes. could have had both . used schoolies instead on grad transfers and those 2 other busts and believe still had one left. also pretty sure i saw them playing on the same floor at the same time just last season. and not at the same position. so we got 2 yrs instead of 4 is the bottom line. elijah wanted to come here first. we passed. and now he's ACC leading scorer.

Last edited:
we brought in battle yes. also taureen thompson, matt moyer, white and gillon. passed on elijah.
don't make it sound like we had to choose between battle and hughes. could have had both . used schoolies instead on grad transfers and those 2 other busts and believe still had one left. also pretty sure i saw them playing on the same floor at the same time just last season. and not at the same position. so we got 2 yrs instead of 4 is the bottom line. elijah wanted to come here first. we passed. and now he's ACC leading scorer.

we recruited both as 2Gs. And Thompson and Moyer are bigs. And nobody Including you would have taken Hughes over battle in 2015.

Weird this is your take. How unexpected

Just saw a sports media site that had Hughes at 54.

Amazing the number of overseas players early in the first round.

This might be your worst take of all time. And from my standpoint you’ve had a ton of them.

if hughes doesnt get a first round deal...might not be soo obvious to leave...i could see him leading a ranked team and having a higher profile next year and that getting him into the first round next year...

i think he's likely gone but could see a scenario where he stays

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom