Elijah Robinson Appreciation Thread | Syracusefan.com

Elijah Robinson Appreciation Thread

StLouisCuse

Walk On
Think Elijah deserves his own thread for his masterful work in this one. E-rob caught a lot of flack on this board after the Ohio performance and rightfully so. But MAN, did he show his coaching chops today. In just six days to clean-up the defense and prepare for this "vaunted" G-Tech running game, he passed with flying colors. Tackling was significantly improved and love the tweak to have Diggs man the middle in place of Heard. Also saw what looked like many run-designed blitzes.

Very impressive performance by Big E!

Now just move duce back to corner. He’s not going to get a NFL look regardless of his position so let’s ditch this safety experiment before it costs us a game down the road. Feels like we’re giving up several big plays or scores each week because he has no feel for angles and takes himself out of the play.

Grant’s position at buffalo was safety and he did well there… so why not just switch their positions?

Last edited:
Prevent didn’t kill us….onside kick….that hurt. But overall, Coach E made some very nice tweaks from week 1. Hopefully we can get a little more pressure on the QB going forward.
GT’s offense does not feature a ton of drop back’s sitting in the pocket. Plus you have to play King to run.

GT’s offense does not feature a ton of drop back’s sitting in the pocket. Plus you have to play King to run.
Yeah, not an overwhelming amount of pressure but King was struggling generating much from the pocket so we stuck with it. Really strong coaching (and I was very critical after week 1). Really impressive display yesterday.

Kudos to coach E. Great job by him and his defensive staff to refocus over the last week and provide a much better defensive showing while losing Wax. (By the way I loved how Marlow scootered out to the defense a few times to provide inputs during timeouts, he was very involved).
While scheme was intended to force King to pass the ball, I am interested in seeing as the season moves forward how he schemes pressure on the QB. Currently team has 4 sacks total (not sure about TFLs). Also 1 int and 1 fumble recovery. Currently how the makeup of the team is breaking, Offense is the juggernaut and D is complimentary piece. Still will need our D to make things happen whether forcing a turnover or getting some sacks once we start getting deeper in the schedule. I look forward to seeing how this D evolves.

Think Elijah deserves his own thread for his masterful work in this one. E-rob caught a lot of flack on this board after the Ohio performance and rightfully so. But MAN, did he show his coaching chops today. In just six days to clean-up the defense and prepare for this "vaunted" G-Tech running game, he passed with flying colors. Tackling was significantly improved and love the tweak to have Diggs man the middle in place of Heard. Also saw what looked like many run-designed blitzes.

Very impressive performance by Big E!
If you haven't had a chance listen to Frans post-game. He goes into detail about the thought process of putting Diggs at Middle linebacker. It's a great listen.

If you haven't had a chance listen to Frans post-game. He goes into detail about the thought process of putting Diggs at Middle linebacker. It's a great listen.

It wasn’t your typical MLB based on what I saw. Almost like a hybrid between MLB and the nose tackle of the old desert swarm defenses that tedy bruschi played in.

He would run blitz the A gap and on passing downs was the spy on king.

The defense played much better this week.

We played the 3-3-5 last week against Ohio too, so this wasn’t a “new” adjustment. Diggs plays more than ten snaps at LB vs Ohio.

I love that we play 6 and 7 DBs at times depending on the game situation. In recent years we’ve been adamant about sticking with 5 DBs and I think that hurt us. This years defense has already shown more versatility and flexibility than in recent years.

The focus this week has to be on special teams. Yikes!

Now just move duce back to corner. He’s not going to get a NFL look regardless of his position so let’s ditch this safety experiment before it costs us a game down the road. Feels like we’re giving up several big plays or scores each week because he has no feel for angles and takes himself out of the play.

Grant’s position at buffalo was safety and he did well there… so why not just switch their positions?
Only been 2 games in. They are still learning and developing. The staff has a long term plan with these guys. Give it time.

More nonsense

On the positive side:
-I like what he did with Diggs yesterday. Made him a big disruptor.

-I think he had a good plan vs GA Tech. Took away their RB.

-Looks like he will adjust our base to match who we are playing. That will make us even harder to plan for.

On the negative:
-We haven't brought much pressure in either game and have played soft in coverage. A lot of 3 man rushes too. Is that how he is overall or was that just the plan these last two games? It will be interesting to see how we play vs a non running team.

-The tackling in both games and angles taken by the players have been really poor. That isn't completely on the coach. We need to clean that up going forward.

Every MAC team can play out of their mind week 1/2 NIU has taken down BC and ND in consecutive years and are middle of the pack BG isn't anything special and they almost beat Ped St. Ohio RB having a day didn't mean anything just tip your cap. There will be another game this year where we get gashed on the ground and there will also be one where some QB goes throw for throw with McCord and puts up 450 yards. Doesn't mean the D sucks and won't be very good overall over the course of 12 games.

Need to do well spying the QB for Stanford game Daniels running ability Lamson short yardage are easily their biggest strength.