Emphasis on transition | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Emphasis on transition

Our big guys don’t look for an outlet. We do run off steals. Off rebounds our guards come back towards the rebounder to get the ball. The bigs look for the guard nearest them. They do not take the ball high, pivot, and look down court for the fast break possibility.
But that's something that can be coached up. I think it's obvious to some that JB just doesn't want to run anymore. Others are convinced it's been a personnel issue for the last 5 years, as if our talent and athleticism fell off a cliff. Well it has to some extent but we're not rutgers bad where we should be getting outscored in fast break points by the sisters of the poor.

I think it is tough to be a running team when you only have 6 or 7 guys.
JB only played 7 for most of the last 40 years. I think many of you are looking for excuses because, let's face it, it's pretty hard to accept that JB has disowned what used to be a hallmark of the program over most of his tenure. It almost feels like treason from a brand perspective.

Last edited:
You have to coach the players you have.
And you can only do so much to change their games.

This group is limited in number and abilities.
The point guard plays point guard out of necessity, not out of inclination or experience.
As much as I enjoy a running game, the Orange have Chukwu and Brissett rebounding and passing to Howard.
It's not Seikaly and Coleman outletting to Douglas.

This season is mostly about defense.
If the Orange Squeeze is effective they'll have a chance against anyone.

You have to coach the players you have.
And you can only do so much to change their games.

This group is limited in number and abilities.
The point guard plays point guard out of necessity, not out of inclination or experience.
As much as I enjoy a running game, the Orange have Chukwu and Brissett rebounding and passing to Howard.
It's not Seikaly and Coleman outletting to Douglas.

This season is mostly about defense.
If the Orange Squeeze is effective they'll have a chance against anyone.

Howard was recruited as a PG and has predominantly played PG. it’s not out of necessity.

Howard was recruited as a PG and has predominantly played PG. it’s not out of necessity.

200.gif

He was recruited over. Geno was brought in as well to bolster the postion. HW too. That tells me all I need to know about JB’s confidence in the position last year. Obviously JB has coddled him to the media especially because we have nobody else. Fine. The kid has improved a lot I know. The bar was set very low however.

He was recruited over. Geno was brought in as well to bolster the postion. HW too. That tells me all I need to know about JB’s confidence in the position last year. Obviously JB has coddled him to the media especially because we have nobody else. Fine. The kid has improved a lot I know. The bar was set very low however.
Recruited over how?

Recruited over how?

Obviously we don’t know how it all would’ve played out but there is no way in hell Quade wasn’t being pitched major minutes and/or the keys to the bus, IMO. Things could’ve changed once practice started and such but he wasn’t coming here to play 2nd fiddle to Howard nor were the coaches foreseeing that, IMO.

A
Obviously we don’t know how it all would’ve played out but there is no way in hell Quade wasn’t being pitched major minutes and/or the keys to the bus, IMO. Things could’ve changed once practice started and such but he wasn’t coming here to play 2nd fiddle to Howard nor were the coaches foreseeing that, IMO.
Ahhh. I forgot about quade. My bad. Dohhhh

A

Ahhh. I forgot about quade. My bad. Dohhhh

I mean like I said we truly don’t know how he would’ve performed here but the staff went after this kid as hard as any recruitment I can ever remember. They did it for a reason and not for him to not have the rock in his hands. Especially considering he isn’t another tall PG/combo project JB is infatuated with.

Last edited:
To my eye, SU has looked to run noticeably less since the 2013 Final Four game ended with a backcourt of Trevor Cooney and James Southerland. I think JB is trying to avoid a similar situation at all costs.

Also, in 2013, MCW and Triche were competent ball handlers so if one of them got in foul trouble, the other could take over. Since then, SU has had to lean on its main PG to play huge minutes because backups have been barely competent or non-existent. It makes sense to play slower to minimize the possibility and effect of foul trouble.

Guys like Tyler Ennis and Frank Howard were and are perfectly capable of getting fast break buckets.

I recall the 2013 team as a team that didn't run much. the 2012 team was our last traditional SU fast break team. I recall all the fouls called in the Ohio State game hurt us because the constant interruptions prevented us from running while it didn't bother a half court team like the Buckeyes.

I recall the 2013 team as a team that didn't run much. the 2012 team was our last traditional SU fast break team. I recall all the fouls called in the Ohio State game hurt us because the constant interruptions prevented us from running while it didn't bother a half court team like the Buckeyes.
2012-13 was a slower paced team because of the stifling defense. But we got a good amount of transition buckets that season. MCW, Triche, CJ and Southy could all get out on the break. It just wasn’t at the same volume as we had in the 2008-2012 seasons.

I'm glad someone bumped this thread. I counted more than a few times today where Frank looked to pass and ended up the first SU player down the court, facing multiple Pitt defenders. I'm not sure why the other guys didn't get the memo, but he overtook a couple teammates in the process.

We just aren't a running team anymore, unless it's completely uncontested.