Encouraging notes from the P-S | Syracusefan.com

Encouraging notes from the P-S

Upstate

Co 2020 Cali Winner, Rcd/Rcpts/TD Rcpts (5)/TFL
A couple things to watch for from the current men's team:

A lot of players have shed weight. We mentioned the slimmer frames of Scoop Jardine and Brandon Triche over the summer. But Fab Melo and Dion Waiters are slimmer too. Both players said they lost weight during the offseason to become quicker, better versions of their freshmen selves.
Waiters looks great. He said he's lost about 10-12 pounds. SU assistant coach Mike Hopkins confirmed that Waiters exhibited a more disciplined work ethic during the offseason.

A couple other early observations: Baye Moussa Keita's hand/wrist has completely healed from post-season surgery; SU assistant Bernie Fine said Keita has also worked on improving his strength. And Michael Carter-Williams is taller and lankier than you might expect. Carter-Williams, a point guard, is listed at 6-5. He's all of that. And the early reports from SU veterans is that he's a player with vast potential.

Wow Dion and Fab news is really great not because I'm surprised but because I hadn't really heard anything on that front.

I am interested to see who breaks out this year. I'm hoping Triche blows up, along with MCW.

When you are as big as Fab was, It isn't too hard to lose weight. Dion looked pretty chiseled and found a way to lose weight. I hope it was some form of fat and not muscle.

Carter-Williams, a point guard, is listed at 6-5.

Not to make this one of those "height" threads, but I passed MCW on campus last week. He's closer to 6'2" than 6'5". I think I was actually a bit taller than him. I was really surprised, maybe we were on uneven ground or something.

Gmac said MCW has a wingspan of 6'10"

Sent from my Vortex using Tapatalk

When you are as big as Fab was, It isn't too hard to lose weight. Dion looked pretty chiseled and found a way to lose weight. I hope it was some form of fat and not muscle.

i ran into dion this summer. you could tell he had lost weight. didnt lose muscle tone or mass but his midsection and backside(no jokes) were thinner.

The dreaded hieght arguements begin before the kid has seen a minute of court time! LOL

He looked tall and lanky in the McD game compared to the other guards.

The dreaded hieght arguements begin before the kid has seen a minute of court time! LOL

He looked tall and lanky in the McD game compared to the other guards.

Again, it was just a passing glance, I could be way off.

Again, it was just a passing glance, I could be way off.

Not doubting you, just laughing a bit because of your height thread comment. It seems they pop up every so often and opinions can differ greatly.

Not to make this one of those "height" threads, but I passed MCW on campus last week. He's closer to 6'2" than 6'5". I think I was actually a bit taller than him. I was really surprised, maybe we were on uneven ground or something.

It was just a passing glance but I looked closer 5'8" rather than my "self reported" height of 5'9" on my driver's license as I walked past MCW on Campus ... but I could have been on a slipper slope ... but I think I was definitely shorter than him

Same. I'd only seen him from a distance before, but I passed him on campus this morning and was surprised at how short he looked. Maybe 6'3"?

(Not that I want to get into arguments about players' heights and possible inflation. Last I recall, the "is C.J. Fair 6'5" or is he 6'8"?" debate got more heated than the "Nassib: Good or Awful?" back-and-forth on the football side.)

I just don't know how people at a glance or even a passing can tell the difference between 1 to 2 inches.

In order for this season to be a success Melo, Keita, or Rak must develop a post game. If not we cannot win games bombing jumpers from outside. I really, really think losing RJ to graduation is going to be a huge downside for this years team.

KJO, Southerland and Fair could also surprise though and show a demand the ball high post game. Its to early to tell.

I just don't know how people at a glance or even a passing can tell the difference between 1 to 2 inches.

It's pretty easy honestly. At 6'2 it's out of the ordinary for me to have to look up at somebody. If BK is 6'3 I'd imagine it's similar.

It's pretty easy honestly. At 6'2 it's out of the ordinary for me to have to look up at somebody. If BK is 6'3 I'd imagine it's similar.
6'7 here. If I'm looking up at someone they're at least 6'10

at least 6 times a day

At least it's countered by the ladies looking up and smiling and being happy they can wear heels without towering over you. I get that at my height so I'm sure you're good with that too.

Hey but if you tell me how tall these players are I'll take your word for it!