End of OSU-ND | Syracusefan.com

End of OSU-ND

Frozen

2022 Cali Winner (Rushing Yards)
The TD with :01 left put OSU up 16-14. If I’m their coach, I take a knee instead of trying the PAT.

If the PAT gets blocked and taken back all the way, the game is tied and goes to OT.

If you take a knee, the only way ND could win is if they return the kickoff for a TD or the kickoff is a touchback or goes out of bounds and now ND needs to throw a pass on the last play of the game for a highly unlikely touchdown.

These are the things I think about.

The TD with :01 left put OSU up 16-14. If I’m their coach, I take a knee instead of trying the PAT.

If the PAT gets blocked and taken back all the way, the game is tied and goes to OT.

If you take a knee, the only way ND could win is if they return the kickoff for a TD or the kickoff is a touchback or goes out of bounds and now ND needs to throw a pass on the last play of the game for a highly unlikely touchdown.

What if they take the knee and have a 2 point lead and kickoff and on the ensuing possession, they are called for 2 penalties putting ND in position to kick a long field goal which they make and win 17-16?

What if they take the knee and have a 2 point lead and kickoff and on the ensuing possession, they are called for 2 penalties putting ND in position to kick a long field goal which they make and win 17-16?
If they get two penalties at that juncture of the game, they’d deserve to lose.

I thought the same thing, they return it to midfield and get a 15 yard penalty which adds an extra play.

An ugly, questionably coached game. ESPN called it an instant classic. The B1G runs through Michigan and Penn State.

Agreed. If this were the NFL I would pause as a PI is at the spot of the foul. But in college even if there were a PI yesterday it only takes the ball to the 50.

'What McCord didn't realize was that Notre Dame (4-1) only had 10 players on the field for the final two plays from the Irish 1-yard line — an incompletion in the end zone to Marvin Harrison Jr. and Trayanum's decisive run that sent Buckeyes players streaming onto the field in celebration only to be sent back to the sideline for a replay review that put a second back on the clock.

Freeman recognized the error on the last play, but wanted to avoid a penalty that would have moved the ball 1/2 yard closer to the goal line or that would give Ohio State (4-0) another play.

"We were trying to get a fourth defensive lineman in the game,” Irish coach Marcus Freeman said. “I told him ‘Just stay off, we can’t afford a penalty.’ I didn’t have any timeouts left.”

that's just stoopid . penalty is 6 inches. and do you wince whenever you hear marvin jr.?

Last edited:
you can do everything write except have a bad kick and haveit run back,. for the last play to beat you, you need to do a bunch of things wrong not one

An ugly, questionably coached game. ESPN called it an instant classic. The B1G runs through Michigan and Penn State.
Penn St ran 97 plays on offense. Iowa ran 33

Iowa only had 76 total total yards of offense.

Apparently ND thought tOSU wasn't tough enough to score so they only had 3 DLmen and 10 players in? Guess Holtz was right.

You could say the same thing about giving up a score on the PAT.

Both are not likely but I would think a blocked PAT returned for 2 is more probable than kicking off with 1 second left and ND getting into FG range (a kick they still have to actually make). ND needed a penalty on the KO (which happened), then 2 penalties in a row while on O, then not had a FG blocked and had it go through the uprights. Potentially that FG would have been a long one.

Four things going your way < one thing.

Both are not likely but I would think a blocked PAT returned for 2 is more probable than kicking off with 1 second left and ND getting into FG range (a kick they still have to actually make). ND needed a penalty on the KO (which happened), then 2 penalties in a row while on O, then not had a FG blocked and had it go through the uprights. Potentially that FG would have been a long one.

Four things going your way < one thing.
It’s two things, a blocked PAT and then a run back.
Both not likely and not worth second guessing.

I would have gone for 2.

Just for fun.

Both not likely and not worth second guessing.
that's why you buy insurance.

a35eed82f71a0609ab7069c82957d2cd.jpg

you never really know do you ?

My only regret is that both team's couldn't lose.
I just tried to focus on all those Irish fans headed home miserable . Duke Louisville and USC the next 3 weeks. Chances are there hopes for a playoff spot are done before halfway through season.

Apparently ND thought tOSU wasn't tough enough to score so they only had 3 DLmen and 10 players in? Guess Holtz was right.
Days antics on the field after the game were embarrassing. He acted like he wanted to fight Holtz for saying they weren't a very tough team, yet he didn't have faith in his "tough" quarterback to get him 1 foot inside the 5 yard line on their 2nd to last drive. He is a total meat head.

I said the same thing at the end of the game. Risk not near worth taking.