Ennis could score 20 points every game | Syracusefan.com

Ennis could score 20 points every game

NineOneSeven

2018-19 Iggy Hoops Leader Scorer
And we will need him to at another point this season. With the ball in his hands as much as it is? Definitely. Loved his aggression. Had some sloppy passes tonight, but he hit some big shots.

If our success is dependent on our point guard scoring 20 points on 16 or 17 shots, we're in big trouble.

We were playing 2 on 5 for long stretches of the second half tonight; this team needs other players to pick up the scoring slack so Ennis can focus more on distributing.

And we will need him to at another point this season. With the ball in his hands as much as it is? Definitely. Loved his aggression. Had some sloppy passes tonight, but he hit some big shots.

Feel the same way. I've been wanting him to do this more and more. With Cooney off we just don't have the offensive firepower. I'm not sure if it was Grant not playing the second half, but Ennis was definitely looking to get his own a lot more. I am fine with it because I feel he can get by his guy basically whenever he wants.

If our success is dependent on our point guard scoring 20 points on 16 or 17 shots, we're in big trouble.

We were playing 2 on 5 for long stretches of the second half tonight; this team needs other players to pick up the scoring slack so Ennis can focus more on distributing.

Eh, I agree about still needing other scorers but disagree about focusing on distributing over scoring.

He can do both. If don't necessarily consider handing the ball to Fair for an iso-play distributing. Nothing bad happens when Ennis gets aggressive on O. Attack the rim, draw defenders, then distribute if the D dictates it.

Eh, I agree about still needing other scorers but disagree about focusing on distributing over scoring.

He can do both. If don't necessarily consider handing the ball to Fair for an iso-play distributing. Nothing bad happens when Ennis gets aggressive on O. Attack the rim, draw defenders, then distribute if the D dictates it.

Some of this is personal preference - ideally, I prefer a point guard who limits his shot attempts (though I'm not sure we have that luxury with his offensively-challenged teammates). And I'm just not sold on Ennis as an efficient scorer at this stage of his development - if he's taking enough shots to score 20, I think a lot of empty possessions are going to come with that.

I like the midrange shot he's been taking, though, and I'm glad he scored 20 tonight. Wish he could consistently make layups - they set up another great back-door opportunity on the pass from Baye in the second half. We could use those easy buckets.

Just saw this quote

Boeheim: "Tyler we asked to be more offensive minded and I thought that was the key, really."

Yes. A couple of times: but not every game.

Never understood why some people prefer a "pure point guard" I'd rather have a point guard who can score so other teams need to pay attention to him as well - instead of being able to double another player. And the role of a point guard is to put the team in the best position to score - if that turns out to mean him taking a shot in that particular time down the court, I want him to take the shot.

Never understood why some people prefer a "pure point guard" I'd rather have a point guard who can score so other teams need to pay attention to him as well - instead of being able to double another player. And the role of a point guard is to put the team in the best position to score - if that turns out to mean him taking a shot in that particular time down the court, I want him to take the shot.

Luckily we have a point guard who can do both. The best point guards are the ones that can determine what the team needs that game and play accordingly. When our offense is stagnant like it has been lately I think he could be more aggressive. He usually waits until the end of the game to kick it up a little bit, but I think tonight's second half showed that he can get his whenever.

Well, Tyler recognized no one else but CJ could score tonight, so he HAD to be more aggressive and shoot. Would like to see him with more assists, but ya do whatcha gotta do to win.

Luckily we have a point guard who can do both. The best point guards are the ones that can determine what the team needs that game and play accordingly. When our offense is stagnant like it has been lately I think he could be more aggressive. He usually waits until the end of the game to kick it up a little bit, but I think tonight's second half showed that he can get his whenever.

Bingo. Ideally you have a guy who can do both but doesn't focus on scoring most of the time. Our most successful teams have revolved around that type of point guard.

Right now we need Ennis to do more, but I'm hopeful that the four other guys on the court can raise their games to the point where Ennis gets more than 3 assists and takes fewer than 18 shots.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom