ennis had 1 turnover tonite? | Syracusefan.com

ennis had 1 turnover tonite?

Actually, I did not see him turn the ball over unless it was the play where he drived & hit BMK in the hands with a pass that went out of bounds, but I thought that one would have been on BMK.

I'm going to say something that may sound a little crazy. IMO, he may need to take a few more chances. Like in transition, if he finds a seam, he should slash and attack the rim a little more often. It may lead to an extra turnover or two, but it will be worth it. When we play the elite teams, we can't play back on our - ahem - 'Heels. He will likely have to be a little more aggressive with his decisions. Every sport has its optimal risk/reward balance. If you play it safe all the time, you won't win as much as the other guy who takes the right chances.

But it was nice to see him hit a couple nice threes in the second half, the first at 44-40 when we needed to restretch the lead.

Fire away.

I'm going to say something that may sound a little crazy. IMO, he may need to take a few more chances. Like in transition, if he finds a seam, he should slash and attack the rim a little more often. It may lead to an extra turnover or two, but it will be worth it. When we play the elite teams, we can't play back on our - ahem - 'Heels. He will likely have to be a little more aggressive with his decisions. Every sport has its optimal risk/reward balance. If you play it safe all the time, you won't win as much as the other guy who takes the right chances.

But it was nice to see him hit a couple nice threes in the second half, the first at 44-40 when we needed to restretch the lead.

Fire away.

I'm steering my ship next to yours and am not awaiting the full volley to be returned before I concur. I'll stick my neck out and agree with you that "well enough" for now may not only be not optimal, but may also venture into the realms of "not well enough" against a foe with a formidable half court defense who also has a good offense and/or catches us at a time when our defense isn't up to par. It doesn't even need to be an elite team, or on the road as witnessed a few days ago against Miami I'm not trying to criticize Tyler/the team any more than a parent who has a kid capable of getting A's in school would when they are only getting B's, even though said parent could be satisfied because their other kids get C's.

I'd certainly trade a couple of turnovers for some easy transition buckets, especially when we have athletes like Fair and Grant to finish at the rim, or Cooney to kick out to in transition(which I have seen and applauded when it actually happened). I love Ennis and think we are beyond fortunate to have him, but to say his game can't improve is to show a lack of faith in the kid. Stats are kept on balls thrown away and shots missed, but not on opportunities thrown away or missed. A lot of folks won't consider things that can't be measured(or even easily measured), but that goes far beyond sports and I don't want to get off topic with illustrations. If I am forced to stay close to home(even though I realize it wont be the most effective analogy), I could say in a sense Coleman's tendency to be tentative with his shots at time's parallel Tyler's tendency to be tentative on the break. We are just more forgiving of killing a break than we are of killing a quick put back for some reason.

Again, overall I love the kid and don't want to put the lack of fast breaking all on Tyler. I haven't really observed closely enough to note if his teammates have been running the floor as well as their counterparts in the past. I also can't rule out that JB hasnt reined him in a bit for now. Regardless, let's not give our friend HJB too hard of a time for showing some insight. In life you're going to have less opportunity for mistakes when you take fewer risks, but less opportunity for success. I don't claim to know the optimal level of risk we're capable of, so I certainly can not claim we currently are at it. Maybe some of you can? I imagine those type of questions are what help keep message boards like this afloat. The Captain is about to retire to his quarters unless ensnared in some more good threads.

This is crazy. Last year we had MCW, who did exactly what some poster's here are criticizing Ennis for and the results were some very erratic performances. The key to TE's game is consistency. He is a bona fida coach on the floor. He only makes the safe play and he protects the ball with acumen. In the college game O spurts come and go, but the best team's have D consistency, and D consistency starts with limiting TO's and easy fast break points by the foe. When you take a risk, the problem isn't that you don't score on that play, the real problem is that when you don't succeed the ball is coming back at you for an easy two at the other end.

Actually, I did not see him turn the ball over unless it was the play where he drived & hit BMK in the hands with a pass that went out of bounds, but I thought that one would have been on BMK.
It indeed was that play that they gave him a turnover - ridiculous.

Unless I'm misremembering, I'm pretty sure he threw one pass right into a Hokie defender for a pretty easy steal. When I saw it, I was a little shocked and had to check the guy's jersey number to make sure it was Ennis.

Without watching the game again, I can't be sure though.

Yes. That was it. Unfortunately, Christmas had some early foul trouble. He is usually the grateful recipient of that pass and sends it home. I think that JB is being cautious about his big men, because Coleman has a flat tire. When (dare I say If) Coleman comes back at full strength soon, we can continue the platoon that was working well. Christmas has been providing more offense. Coleman provides offense and was actually improving defensively. And, BMK is a defensive difference maker. He is, unfortunately, good for a turnover or two due to his hands. But, he does pull down rebounds, and those same hands are responsible for swatting, deflecting and wreaking havoc on our opponents.

Yes. That was it. Unfortunately, Christmas had some early foul trouble. He is usually the grateful recipient of that pass and sends it home. I think that JB is being cautious about his big men, because Coleman has a flat tire. When (dare I say If) Coleman comes back at full strength soon, we can continue the platoon that was working well. Christmas has been providing more offense. Coleman provides offense and was actually improving defensively. And, BMK is a defensive difference maker. He is, unfortunately, good for a turnover or two due to his hands. But, he does pull down rebounds, and those same hands are responsible for swatting, deflecting and wreaking havoc on our opponents.
When was this? His defense has been below average at best and he can't finish a layup. I'd rather give Rak and Baye the lion's share of minutes.

This is crazy. Last year we had MCW, who did exactly what some poster's here are criticizing Ennis for and the results were some very erratic performances. The key to TE's game is consistency. He is a bona fida coach on the floor. He only makes the safe play and he protects the ball with acumen. In the college game O spurts come and go, but the best team's have D consistency, and D consistency starts with limiting TO's and easy fast break points by the foe. When you take a risk, the problem isn't that you don't score on that play, the real problem is that when you don't succeed the ball is coming back at you for an easy two at the other end.

exactly. scoop was the same way, remember all those high risk passes and alley oops he would try? drove us nuts. if theres a play to be made ennis will make it, see the pass to cj for the dunk last nite. if its not, or if its risky, hes gonna hold on to it.

Easier to let him gradually expand his risk taking than reel it in. See Scoop, MCW, etc...

He's doing exactly what is being asked of him. My only question was "can he be an additional 3 point threat?" Question, answered. Now you can't play off him either. Uh-oh. C'mon out on him and see what happens.

Reminds me so much of Sherm in that sense. Not a great 3 pt. shooter but solid and hit them when it counted.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom