Ennis has been incredible. | Syracusefan.com

Ennis has been incredible.

Rocco

Watching you.
Our new buddy, Dan Dakich, couldn't stop gushing about the kid. Yet again, he plays beyond his years and leads Syracuse to their most dominant and impressive win of the year. Along the way, he has 17 points, 8 assists, 7 rebounds, 4 steals, only 1 turnover and was 6-8 from the field. If anyone is counting, that is 17 points on 8 shots. Incredible.

The kid continues to play very sound ball. As the season continues, he will only get better and better. That is a great sign for Cuse Nation. Before long, he will finally start getting recognition along the likes of the other top freshmen in the country. He has improved his ast/to ratio to 4.55. He has 41 assists to only 9 turnovers all season (8 games). He's also averaging 3 steals/game.

Keep it going "Ennis the Menace".

Tyler+Ennis+Colgate+v+Syracuse+KG6LQcbiRnel.jpg

Jake said:
his numbers are off the chart good for a freshman pg. the other thing that dawned on me tonight is how effect the stall game is going to be with him running the pg. We ran it for 8 minutes tonight, and lost 3 pts.
He is just about ideal. He won't do what mcw does now but he might be better for us

Our new buddy, Dan Dakich, couldn't stop gushing about the kid. Yet again, he plays beyond his years and leads Syracuse to their most dominant and impressive win of the year. Along the way, he has 17 points, 8 assists, 7 rebounds, 4 steals, only 1 turnover and was 6-8 from the field. If anyone is counting, that is 17 points on 8 shots. Incredible.

The kid continues to play very sound ball. As the season continues, he will only get better and better. That is a great sign for Cuse Nation. Before long, he will finally start getting recognition along the likes of the other top freshmen in the country. He has improved his ast/to ratio to 4.55. He has 41 assists to only 9 turnovers all season (8 games). He's also averaging 3 steals/game.

Keep it going "Ennis the Menace".

Tyler+Ennis+Colgate+v+Syracuse+KG6LQcbiRnel.jpg

2 or 3 years from now he will be a very good player for SU

Gotta be honest, I tempered my expectations w/ Ennis before the season. I've just seen too many frosh PG struggle. Boy I am glad to be wrong on this one. The kid is a STUD. By next year, he's a top 5 college PG.

2 or 3 years from now he will be a very good player for SU

I would argue that he is already a good player for us. He was instrumental in beating Minnesota, Cal, Baylor and Indiana. Not bad downed competition in his first 8 starts.

Gotta be honest, I tempered my expectations w/ Ennis before the season. I've just seen too many frosh PG struggle. Boy I am glad to be wrong on this one. The kid is a STUD. By next year, he's a top 5 college PG.
I think he's top 5 NOW. Furthermore we have never had a pg play under greater control. I'm surprised when he makes a bad play. The game seems so simple to him.

Hell, even noted Kentucky/Louisville apologist Pat Forde was on twitter talking about his growing man crush on Tyler during the game.

H

He's going to be just as good as MCW in the NBA next year.

He is as ideal a PG for JB here at SU as we will ever find.

However, just keeping it real. IMO, at this stage, he is not quick enough, and may not shoot well enough, to be a star in the NBA. Maybe after his sophomore year.

He is as ideal a PG for JB here at SU as we will ever find.

However, just keeping it real. IMO, at this stage, he is not quick enough, and may not shoot well enough, to be a star in the NBA. Maybe after his sophomore year.

Honestly, who cares? What does NBA have to do with a guy being a great college player for us?

This is one of the topics that repeatedly come up on this board that drive me nuts.

Hit the weight room and tidy the jumper up a bit and he's good to go after next season.

I hate to say it but I'm glad MCW left - Ennis is already a better college PG after 7 games and it isnt close

Not since Josh Pace's lefty shot put or maybe the patented Ricky Jackson fundamentally sound up and under has a Syracuse player trademark move made me so excited. I'm talking of course about the TYLER ENNIS CLASSY LAY-UP. It's just too classy. Looks like they took a picture of his layup and put it in a text book about basketball.

Honestly, who cares? What does NBA have to do with a guy being a great college player for us?

This is one of the topics that repeatedly come up on this board that drive me nuts.

The answer is that the NBA takes some of our best players before they graduate.

The answer is that the NBA takes some of our best players before they graduate.

That has nothing to do with what the post I was responding to was about.

People talk about NBA potential [or lack thereof] as though it makes players more or less effectual in our program.

his numbers are off the chart good for a freshman pg. the other thing that dawned on me tonight is how effect the stall game is going to be with him running the pg. We ran it for 8 minutes tonight, and lost 3 pts.
I take your point, but I hate the stall ball! It's like the four corners. <sigh> A necessary evil, perhaps.

I was simply responding to anglerman's post #7. However, IMO, it is important to be able to put players in the NBA from our program, in order to attract future recruits. So it's important to do so at the right time with each player to maximize their NBA potential.

I was simply responding to anglerman's post #7. However, IMO, it is important to be able to put players in the NBA from our program, in order to attract future recruits. So it's important to do so at the right time with each player to maximize their NBA potential.

I think that is a huge fallacy--a truism that people always say as if it were fact, despite little evidence to support the merit of that theory. Prior to the last few years, we're coming off of a stretch where our NBA numbers had dwindled to virtually nothing... and yet we're recruiting better than we have since the late 80s.

And besides--Flynn busting as an NBA player didn't "hurt" our recruiting. Nor did Fab. Nor did Wes [relatively speaking; he's obviously playing better this season under D'antoni's system]. So I respectfully submit: does putting players in the NBA really have anything to do with our ability to attract future recruits?

Seems to me that recruits are selecting SU for a LOT of reasons--in no particular order, the desire to play for a HOF coach, the amenities of the Melo center, the opportunity to play in the Carrier Dome, being in an impressive conference where they can play against the top teams, our Final Four run, the four year run of sustained excellence we are currently on, etc. --that have nothing to do with whether we put players in the NBA on a consistent basis. I'm not saying that is ISN'T a factor--just that I strongly doubt that it is nearly as big of a factor as some insinuate.

Last edited:

Who are 5 better ones now?

I think that is a huge fallacy--a truism that people always say as if it were fact, despite little evidence to support the merit of that theory. Prior to the last few years, we're coming off of a stretch where our NBA numbers had dwindled to virtually nothing... and yet we're recruiting better than we have since the late 80s.

And besides--Flynn busting as an NBA player didn't "hurt" our recruiting. Nor did Fab. Nor did Wes [relatively speaking; he's obviously playing better this season under D'antoni's system]. So I respectfully submit: does putting players in the NBA really have anything to do with our ability to attract future recruits?

And I respectfully answer: All else being equal, yes. I don't disagree with your angle here. As a rule, success breeds more success. I have long maintained that I think JB is a relatively better coach with second-tier players, so he has had good teams without NBA-quality players, to your point. But I think getting Carmelo, and winning the NC, put us over the top recruiting-wise. We had a mini-drought after Carmelo left on getting 5-star recruits and producing NBA talent. But nothing gives a coach and a program legitimacy like winning an NC, and having a star like Carmelo, who is involved in the program, and the recruits look up to him. A five-star kid coming in can say to himself and his advisors, "Yeah, Syracuse can make me like Carmelo Anthony". It doesn't work so well to say, "Yeah, Syracuse can make me like Paul Harris".

And I respectfully answer: All else being equal, yes. I don't disagree with your angle here. As a rule, success breeds more success. I have long maintained that I think JB is a relatively better coach with second-tier players, so he has had good teams without NBA-quality players, to your point. But I think getting Carmelo, and winning the NC, put us over the top recruiting-wise. We had a mini-drought after Carmelo left on getting 5-star recruits and producing NBA talent. But nothing gives a coach and a program legitimacy like winning an NC, and having a star like Carmelo, who is involved in the program, and the recruits look up to him. A five-star kid coming in can say to himself and his advisors, "Yeah, Syracuse can make me like Carmelo Anthony". It doesn't work so well to say, "Yeah, Syracuse can make me like Paul Harris".

Except that all else ISN'T equal. Syracuse has a lot of factors in our favor that few other programs--including some elite ones--have to offer recruits.

No doubt, winning the NC put us over the top recruiting-wise. But look at the players we put into the NBA post Carmelo--Hak, and then about four years later Donte Green. Did that adversely impact our ability to recruit? Doubtful, as it preceded our return to recruiting excellence. In fact, I don't think that there is a doubt that the Melo center has had as much if not more impact on our ability to attract elite talent as Melo himself [borrowing from your example].

All things being equal, sure--I'd like to see us put more guys in the NBA and have those guys do well. I just don't think that it has nearly as big of an impact as you imply. Our sustained period of current excellence recruiting is evidence of that.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom