Ennis not a 1 and done player per Jim Boeheim | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Ennis not a 1 and done player per Jim Boeheim

Really? What is that you think he needs to improve on? I'm curious because he seems much more of a finished product than MCW was last year.

He's got to get stronger. Unlike, say, a Jonny Flynn type of player, Tyler can't just blow by people, he has to play a more savvy game based on using his body to shield the ball. He can do that now against college kids (shockingly, a bit - but the new rules have helped him; he won't face the kind of hacking that Louisville used to use in their press, or Pitt used in the half court), but he's not strong enough to hold a grown man off with his hip, at least not yet, and who is he going to defend? He's got to improve his lateral quickness. He needs to become a better shooter. He's got a great feel for the game, but not too many Pablo Prigioni types make it as point guard in the NBA. He's got to work on his body and mature a bit.

I agree that in certain ways, Tyler seems farther along than MCW. You're right to say that. Tyler doesn't have that habit of jumping in the air and then not knowing where to pass the ball. Mike was not a good shooter here. (It's shocking really, how much he has improved. If he shot like this in March, we would be defending champs right now.) Mike was skinny and not filled out, but he is 6-6, not 6-2, and has long rangy arms to get steals, even at the NBA level. He has a great eye for the pass on the break, in particular, but struggled at times with the entry pass to the low post.

Tyler can make some passes that Mike couldn't, and vice versa. Mike has the rangy body to overcome some flaws in his game. Tyler is not that kind of athletic specimen who can create mismatches at the next level. I like his game a lot, but I think it's going to take time before NBA GM's think of him as a pro. How many years did Kendall Marshall play at North Carolina before people started talking about his draft stock?

Last edited:
Saw a recent NBA write up about the top freshman in CBB. It had 5 names on it and broke down who they compare to at the next level. The article was written to determine whether this upcoming draft is the best since 2003.

Those names were:
-Parker = Glenn Robinson
-Randle = Zack Randolph
-Gordon = Kenneth Faried
-Wiggins = Rudy Gay
-Ennis = Andre Miller

Yep, Andre Miller is another good comparison for Tyler that folks like me brought up on the recruiting side, or a less physical Autry (Bees), or a bit quicker Billy Edelin / Edelin with an outside shot, etc. Tyler has that old man's game. Mark Jackson had it, too (another of my comps) or Mo Cheeks, as one of the Philly guys brought up recently. Or even Z Sims (similar pace, but Z so far is a better passer, better defender, but looser dribble, roughly equal outside shots).

Jabari Parker has also been compared to Melo, of course, but I think something about Melo that's different from Parker is that Melo was really strong in his lower body, and could drive the baseline and convert on pretty much anybody in college. He worked the baseline with great body strength. That baseline spin was his go-to move to get to the foul line in late game situations. Very few people have that strength at that size, especially in college.

I think that's where Melo separated himself as a college player. He could score on the low block better than almost any post player in college, he had range out to 3, and at least back then, he was a good and more willing passer of the ball.

Yep, Andre Miller is another good comparison for Tyler that folks like me brought up on the recruiting side, or a less physical Autry, or a bit quicker Billy Edelin, etc. Tyler has that old man's game. Mark Jackson had it, too (another of my comps) or Mo Cheeks, as one of the Philly guys brought up recently. Or even Z Sims (similar pace, but Z so far is a better passer, better defender, but looser dribble, roughly equal outside shots).

Jabari Parker has also been compared to Melo, of course, but I think something about Melo that's different from Parker is that Melo was really strong in his lower body, and could drive the baseline and convert on pretty much anybody in college. He worked the baseline with great body strength. That baseline spin was his go-to move to get to the foul line in late game situations. Very few people have that strength at that size, especially in college.

I think that's where Melo separated himself as a college player. He could score on the low block better than almost any post player in college, he had range out to 3, and at least back then, he was a good and more willing passer of the ball.

Good post. Only thing I'd change is "Tyler has that old school game", rather than "old man's game".

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cusethunder

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom