Ennis trying to dunk | Syracusefan.com

Ennis trying to dunk

Jasoncuse

2022 Iggy Winner: NCAA Tourament
Was anybody else as shocked as I was when Ennis went up and tried dunking over somebody yesterday? My buddy and I were talking earlier in the game wondering if he could even dunk. I couldn't believe what I had seen when he did it. I also wish he had just tried to lay it in...

game might have played out differently if he had simply laid it in off the glass as usual . . . would have put SU back up by 8; instead, the Johnnies came back down and closed to within 4. Big momentum shift there.

lol...forgot all about that.

And then the great Gus Johnson calling it a fantastic play to take it in strong there....yeah, use the backboard next time Tyler. Please don't listen to Gus. :)

Do people question if 6'2+ D1 basketball players can dunk?

When the less athletic ones who don't do it very often try it in a half-court set in a close game, it's probably not a good idea.

Never saw Scoop try that one.

Save it for a runout when we're beating Clemson by 30, kid.

When the less athletic ones who don't do it very often try it in a half-court set in a close game, it's probably not a good idea.

Never saw Scoop try that one.

Save it for a runout when we're beating Clemson by 30, kid.
No way. Would have brought down the house.

No way. Would have brought down the house.

Would have been crazy - same end and same angle as Carter-Williams's dunk there two years ago.

But he missed it.

This kid knows his abilities way better than I do. But at no point in ten games have I seen the sort of lift from him that would suggest he can convert a dunk in traffic.

Take the safe two points. If it's good enough for Jason Hart, it's good enough for freshman Tyler Ennis.

I think he was cognizant of their shot-blocking ability so he wanted to take it strong.

His missed reverse layup in the 1st half annoyed me more than the dunk attempt.

Would have been crazy - same end and same angle as Carter-Williams's dunk there two years ago.

But he missed it.

This kid knows his abilities way better than I do. But at no point in ten games have I seen the sort of lift from him that would suggest he can convert a dunk in traffic.

Take the safe two points. If it's good enough for Jason Hart, it's good enough for freshman Tyler Ennis.
Got hacked

So some of you think that our so called unathletic point guard would try to dunk over some one if he wasn't capable?
Yep. Pow! He is more athletic than people realize. Just because he changes gears does not mean he is slow. And he dunked plenty of times last season, albeit in the open court.

Ennis, 4 seconds in.
Speaking of, watch Briscoe's dunk towards the end. Dion would be proud.

Was anybody else as shocked as I was when Ennis went up and tried dunking over somebody yesterday? My buddy and I were talking earlier in the game wondering if he could even dunk. I couldn't believe what I had seen when he did it. I also wish he had just tried to lay it in...

Yes, I agree, he should have just did a layup and it would have been a good dagger into St.Johns. I think this is one of those freshmen moments for him. He's so awesome it's just crazy. But on a previous play or two he was stuffed on a block. I think the dunk attempt was retribution. Ennis is one of the coolest cucumbers we've ever seen. I think this one time he lost a little control. But come on, he's just a freshmen. And I bet you next year he makes that dunk more than once!

Yeah, definitely should have just laid it in. He had a rough sequence there. If I remember right, he followed that miss up with a very weak foul for an and-1 at the other end, and then came back down and struggled to get the team into an offensive set and had to throw up a heavily contested 3. That was the first time I've really seen him look like a freshman. Luckily, he snapped out of it after that.

Edit: And he still doesn't look very athletic in those videos lol (granted he's far more athletic than myself, but he's barely reaching the rim).

There was some mention on the broadcast that he might have been afraid of getting it blocked if he went for the layup.

A lot of you are calling the dunk a bad idea, but he damn near completed it. I know close doesn't count, but it's not like he totally bricked the thing.

I thought of it as a Flynn, Rosario situation. Obviously Ennis isn't going to do what Flynn did, but he was trying to make a big momentum play. If he converts it, it's lights out, game over. If he misses, we're still up 6 in a game we were in control of most of the way.

So I was alright with it. Teammates love seeing the steady, humble dude on the team get nasty every once in a while.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cusethunder

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom