Ennis | Syracusefan.com

Ennis

He won't be committing until the fall or spring. An early commitment isn't necessarily the best thing regardless. His brother Dylan committed early to Akron, de-committed and went to Rice. Was all-conference as a freshman and now transferred to Villanova. Tyler grew up a Syracuse fan. His parents are HEAVILY involved in his basketball career. His dad is the head coach of the 17u CIA Bounce team that has Andrew Wiggins, Xavier Rathan Mayes, Duane Notice, Kevin Zabo, etc... That team used to be called Team Takeover Canada. They are a part of the Team Takeover DC family. Need a pg in 2013 but landing Tyler would be huge in terms of developing long term Canadian pipeline. Patience will be the key. Don't post on the board often (though I do read almost everyday). Just thought I'd add my 2 cents for a change.

Nice info. Keep adding your 2 cents. You'll have to post more often with the exchange rate. Keep us updated on the others as well.

He won't be committing until the fall or spring. An early commitment isn't necessarily the best thing regardless. His brother Dylan committed early to Akron, de-committed and went to Rice. Was all-conference as a freshman and now transferred to Villanova. Tyler grew up a Syracuse fan. His parents are HEAVILY involved in his basketball career. His dad is the head coach of the 17u CIA Bounce team that has Andrew Wiggins, Xavier Rathan Mayes, Duane Notice, Kevin Zabo, etc... That team used to be called Team Takeover Canada. They are a part of the Team Takeover DC family. Need a pg in 2013 but landing Tyler would be huge in terms of developing long term Canadian pipeline. Patience will be the key. Don't post on the board often (though I do read almost everyday). Just thought I'd add my 2 cents for a change.
This does not sound like good news for SU. The '13 pg is the top priority. SU wants an early solid commitment. Ennis seems to have been identified by the SU staff as the one they wanted but if the kid has commitment issues and one of those nosy, pushy parental types, SU needs to quickly assess their options.

This does not sound like good news for SU. The '13 pg is the top priority. SU wants an early solid commitment. Ennis seems to have been identified by the SU staff as the one they wanted but if the kid has commitment issues and one of those nosy, pushy parental types, SU needs to quickly assess their options.

I'm sure the staff has already assessed their PG options and know their priorities. The days of putting all the eggs in one basket are over. Needless to say but the days of taking a last minute kid like Mike Edwards are over. This program is almost at selector stage right now. Let's remember it's only 4/29/12. Way too early to get anxious.

Thanks Nolan (at least that's who I believe you said you were previously). Do you like our chances with him (knowing that you're pretty plugged into the Canadian scene)? Are we in good with any other of the younger Canadians? Thanks again

speaking of Notice...what happened to him..a year or two ago he was the ONE...???

Nobody said he had commitment issues. I said he'll probably learn from his brother and let everything play out before making a decision. He has a great family and support system. Notice is still an excellent player. Don't think he's a great fit in the system (on either end) but do think he will be solid somewhere. Cuse no longer involved with Duane last I heard. As far as where Syracuse stands with Tyler, i would say they are in an excellent position. Think it's a case where Tyler will control his own destiny and make his own decisions (not always the case). While Tyler is a great kid, he's still a kid. Inherently like any other 17 year old he'll likely be up and down like a toilet seat as the process plays out. It's way to early to call but Cuse are definitely at the table. So is Arizona, Kansas, Duke, and a host of others. Doesn't matter where it stands now (SU currently in good spot), only matters how he feels in the end. Other guy Cuse have begun to get involved with is 6-5 SG Marial Shayok (2014). Plays for Bounce 16's. Think Kueth Duany with a better skill package. Taylor made for the top of the zone.

Hey Toronto, hearing anything about involvement with Wiggins? Sounds like a superstar, one and done lottery pick. Just curious to know whether there's any mutual interest.

Francis and Jake, are you guys hearing anything, too?

No shot at wiggins, its uk or fsu...good chance he reclassifies to 2013

Nobody said he had commitment issues. I said he'll probably learn from his brother and let everything play out before making a decision. He has a great family and support system. Notice is still an excellent player. Don't think he's a great fit in the system (on either end) but do think he will be solid somewhere. Cuse no longer involved with Duane last I heard. As far as where Syracuse stands with Tyler, i would say they are in an excellent position. Think it's a case where Tyler will control his own destiny and make his own decisions (not always the case). While Tyler is a great kid, he's still a kid. Inherently like any other 17 year old he'll likely be up and down like a toilet seat as the process plays out. It's way to early to call but Cuse are definitely at the table. So is Arizona, Kansas, Duke, and a host of others. Doesn't matter where it stands now (SU currently in good spot), only matters how he feels in the end. Other guy Cuse have begun to get involved with is 6-5 SG Marial Shayok (2014). Plays for Bounce 16's. Think Kueth Duany with a better skill package. Taylor made for the top of the zone.
Arizona is basically out. He said in a recent video interview we did that they haven't contacted him in a while.

http://www.nationoforange.com/content/video-interview-tyler-ennis-410/

Alex Kline (@TheRecruitScoop)
5/2/12 9:41 PM
Following a UCLA offer, LSU offered 2013 PG Tyler Ennis of CIA Bounce (CAN) tonight.

Surrounded by talent, Tyler Ennis out to prove he's the best

Wherever he winds up in the rankings won't affect his college destination. Ennis already has his choice of suitors: Illinois, Syracuse, Memphis, Louisville, Baylor, Wake Forest and UCLA. Others have shown interest, but those are the seven standing out right now.

“They're not favorites, but they're who keeps in touch the most,” Ennis said. “Who I'm in touch with the most right now.”

Ennis has no favorites and no visits planned, but he has taken trips to Arizona and Syracuse in the past.

While he's not ready to make a decision, he knows what he's looking for in a school.

“Playing time right away,” Ennis said. “Good development, talent around me and a relationship with the coach.”

I think the biggest worry with Ennis is playing time, he has seen what happened with Dion and then MCW

Anyone else getting a little worried about this kid. Every article that comes out seems to have some sort of Warning Sign (WS).

WS1 - HEAVY parental involvement. Can lead to problems - see Tobias Harris. Could conceivably be a gravy train situation.
WS2 - late commitment. Coupled with 1 above can be a signal for highest bidder. Also terrible situation for SU.
WS3 - brother's commitment issues. Problems within the family.
WS4 - switching schoools. Isn't he Canadian yet played in NJ.
WS5 - Diva syndrome. "I'm the best". NJ player of the year. May not take well to the bench. Reads like he is getting full of himself.
WS6 - "Playing time right away". The plan is for SU's '13 pg to not be the main man until '14. SU's ideal scenario is to have MCW back for '13. This kid has the feel of all kinds of chemistry problems riding the bench.

When the SU plan is working, recruits wait out a year and then take over. It is great when they come in with that expectatiton - see J Grant. It appears Ennis does not want that type of situation. While there can be intelligent discussions on the preferences between choosing between Ennis and Jordan, no one debates either of those two vs MCW. It's MCWs deal from now until he goes pro.

On paper, the SU '13 squad looks like a title contender in need of a backup pg (who is groomed to take over in '14). I have my doubts about the fit of Ennis for that role.

I don't get the brother "commitment issue" thing. He was recruited by a small school, and then got interest from a big time program. If you initially verbaled to Buffalo and then Syracuse came calling, you're saying you wouldn't switch your commit?

I don't get the brother "commitment issue" thing. He was recruited by a small school, and then got interest from a big time program. If you initially verbaled to Buffalo and then Syracuse came calling, you're saying you wouldn't switch your commit?
exactly

and WS4 - Dion switched schools every year, not too mention it is much more common for Canadian players, see KJo

Anyone else getting a little worried about this kid. Every article that comes out seems to have some sort of Warning Sign (WS).

WS1 - HEAVY parental involvement. Can lead to problems - see Tobias Harris. Could conceivably be a gravy train situation.
WS2 - late commitment. Coupled with 1 above can be a signal for highest bidder. Also terrible situation for SU.
WS5 - Diva syndrome. "I'm the best". NJ player of the year. May not take well to the bench. Reads like he is getting full of himself.
WS6 - "Playing time right away". The plan is for SU's '13 pg to not be the main man until '14. SU's ideal scenario is to have MCW back for '13. This kid has the feel of all kinds of chemistry problems riding the bench.

When the SU plan is working, recruits wait out a year and then take over. It is great when they come in with that expectatiton - see J Grant. It appears Ennis does not want that type of situation. While there can be intelligent discussions on the preferences between choosing between Ennis and Jordan, no one debates either of those two vs MCW. It's MCWs deal from now until he goes pro.

On paper, the SU '13 squad looks like a title contender in need of a backup pg (who is groomed to take over in '14). I have my doubts about the fit of Ennis for that role.

There is absolutely nothing in your assessment of Ennis that I agree with.

Sgt cuse is stiking to his guns lol, right or wrong gotta respect it

Although I don't feel near as passionate as you on the subject of Ennis displaying warning signs, I do however seem to be getting a strange feeling about his recruitment lately (by lately I mean last few months).

I can't really pinpoint why, though. I understand that big time recruits often take their time to make their decisions, and I'm cool with that. But in this case, it is beginning to have that feel of "if he loved it at SU he would have committed by now"...anyone else feeling the same? (besides Sgt Cuse of course, since I know his answer already. lol)

I'm getting that feeling cause Ennis has already visited SU at least twice now (Midnight madness & UCONN game), he has a pretty good idea of who is leaving or coming back at his position (Dion, Scoop & Triche gone for sure, and I would plan on MCW & Cooney being there still, although a chance MCW may not), the staff is obviously showing they really want him & are focusing on his recruitment, and it doesn't seem like there is another school that he likes all that much (this is just my interpretation)...I guess I'm not seeing why he would be holding off still? Waiting for a Kentucky offer? Any other schools to offer? Wondering if SU will have anymore "issues" like we had this past season? I really don't know.

Again, I realize it's early in the process still, so I'm not freaking out, rather just a little confused as to why Ennis would let it get to this point...a point at which it may be Rysheed Jordan or him for the spot at SU, whoever decides first...if he really did like SU as much as it appears?

Either way, though, I've been reading up on Jordan and getting more and more interested in him as a potential Cuse PG than ever before...so in the end, who knows...it may be that Ennis delaying his decision could lead to SU finding a better option? It's def possible.

I think he just wants to make sure he makes the right choice and not end up changing his mind because he didn't do enough research.

Although I don't feel near as passionate as you on the subject of Ennis displaying warning signs, I do however seem to be getting a strange feeling about his recruitment lately (by lately I mean last few months).

I can't really pinpoint why, though. I understand that big time recruits often take their time to make their decisions, and I'm cool with that. But in this case, it is beginning to have that feel of "if he loved it at SU he would have committed by now"...anyone else feeling the same? (besides Sgt Cuse of course, since I know his answer already. lol)

I'm getting that feeling cause Ennis has already visited SU at least twice now (Midnight madness & UCONN game), he has a pretty good idea of who is leaving or coming back at his position (Dion, Scoop & Triche gone for sure, and I would plan on MCW & Cooney being there still, although a chance MCW may not), the staff is obviously showing they really want him & are focusing on his recruitment, and it doesn't seem like there is another school that he likes all that much (this is just my interpretation)...I guess I'm not seeing why he would be holding off still? Waiting for a Kentucky offer? Any other schools to offer? Wondering if SU will have anymore "issues" like we had this past season? I really don't know.

Again, I realize it's early in the process still, so I'm not freaking out, rather just a little confused as to why Ennis would let it get to this point...a point at which it may be Rysheed Jordan or him for the spot at SU, whoever decides first...if he really did like SU as much as it appears?

Either way, though, I've been reading up on Jordan and getting more and more interested in him as a potential Cuse PG than ever before...so in the end, who knows...it may be that Ennis delaying his decision could lead to SU finding a better option? It's def possible.

Definitely do not get that vibe AT ALL. I think a lot of people are trying to paint his recruitment in a negative fashion because he hasn't committed yet and I don't understand why. He's just a teenager. Oh, and our coach, is the most successful wins wise in our conference. You think we'd still be involved if he was jerking us around or there was Calipari-gans involved?

Give the kid a break.

I think he just wants to make sure he makes the right choice and not end up changing his mind because he didn't do enough research.
Let me tell you what the tea leaves are telling me. The Ennis camp would love to come to SU if MCW turns pro after next season. "Playing time" wanting to wait on the decision, etc. - does it all make sense now? The Ennis camp would love to have him directing that loaded '13 squad. If the Ennis camp was fine with developing a year and taking over an excellent '14 team, he would have committed by now.

What the Ennis camp is looking for is not what SU fans should be hoping for. Not only is a junior MCW way better than a frosh Ennis, but if it did happen (MCW goes pro after '12) and Ennis came in, who would be the backup pg? A loaded squad with a huge problem.

Let me tell you what the tea leaves are telling me. The Ennis camp would love to come to SU if MCW turns pro after next season. "Playing time" wanting to wait on the decision, etc. - does it all make sense now? The Ennis camp would love to have him directing that loaded '13 squad. If the Ennis camp was fine with developing a year and taking over an excellent '14 team, he would have committed by now.

What the Ennis camp is looking for is not what SU fans should be hoping for. Not only is a junior MCW way better than a frosh Ennis, but if it did happen (MCW goes pro after '12) and Ennis came in, who would be the backup pg? A loaded squad with a huge problem.
Please stop acting like you have such tremendous insight on Ennis and what he wants and what is driving his decision, when the fact is you're basing all of this on exactly the same things most of us have been reading, too.

No--that doesn't make sense at all. "Playing time" could also mean being part of the rotation. We played four guards last year--three of them played extensive minutes. Ergo, Ennis could see "playing time" and still be the third guard.

What the heck do you want the kid to say? That he wants to go to a team where he'll sit the bench? OF COURSE he wants playing time! Much ado about nothing.