Ennis | Syracusefan.com

Ennis

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Poll choice...

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Jon Rothstein@JonRothstein1m
Boeheim on Tyler Ennis "He's as good as any point guard we've brought in here."

Was somewhat blown away by that. Pearl, Sherm, Autry, Hart, MCW. That's pretty damn good company to be in.

I feel a lot better seeing that.
As good as Tyler Ennis is supposed to be, he's still a freshman who's going to face the kind of pressure he's never seen before.
Jim Boeheim generally is not one to overstate the ability of a player or a team.
And we're talking some rare air if the coach thinks he's as good as Pearl or Sherman Douglas.

Was somewhat blown away by that. Pearl, Sherm, Autry, Hart, MCW. That's pretty damn good company to be in.

I'm surprised this post generated so few replies. Maybe because similar things are posted elsewhere?

This is a great quote, extremely encouraging. Yes, JB does sometimes say some things to give confidence to guys, like BT, but in this case, he is not saying it about a guy that seems to need a lot of confidence.

Ennis is just a great basketball player. I'd rather have a great basketball player that cannot jump out of the gym vs. potentially great one based on size, speed, etc. You get more value at the college level.

MCW was a great example. We got, really, one great year from MCW. Tyler should give us more...

I'm surprised this post generated so few replies. Maybe because similar things are posted elsewhere?

This is a great quote, extremely encouraging. Yes, JB does sometimes say some things to give confidence to guys, like BT, but in this case, he is not saying it about a guy that seems to need a lot of confidence.

Ennis is just a great basketball player. I'd rather have a great basketball player that cannot jump out of the gym vs. potentially great one based on size, speed, etc. You get more value at the college level.

MCW was a great example. We got, really, one great year from MCW. Tyler should give us more...

I agree. Boeheim, if anything, usually says how the team needs to work, they aren't very good, etc (more of a negative outlook than positive). When he comes out and says a certain player is "as good as any PG we've had here", that is saying something.

Ennis has known he was going to start Day 1 since the day he committed. He's had a lot of time to prepare mentally, but nothing means anything until he steps on the court leading the Orange offense for the time against real competition.

By scheduling these Canada games, Boeheim continues to prove that he is a genius as a coach. He knows how beneficial this game will be especially for Ennis, G, Buss, Cooney and BJ. They need as much PT as possible to be able to get in a groove with each other. November will be here sooner than you know it.

Can't wait to see this team play.

I agree. Boeheim, if anything, usually says how the team needs to work, they aren't very good, etc (more of a negative outlook than positive). When he comes out and says a certain player is "as good as any PG we've had here", that is saying something.

Ennis has known he was going to start Day 1 since the day he committed. He's had a lot of time to prepare mentally, but nothing means anything until he steps on the court leading the Orange offense for the time against real competition.

By scheduling these Canada games, Boeheim continues to prove that he is a genius as a coach. He knows how beneficial this game will be especially for Ennis, G, Buss, Cooney and BJ. They need as much PT as possible to be able to get in a groove with each other. November will be here sooner than you know it.

Couldn't agree more. In the summer when Ennis was here, he was already in Cuse floor leader mode. I bet he really knew that last Feb. That is huge.

This year is unique because I'm confident I know what we get out of Ennis, CJ, Baye and Grant. The trio of CJ, Baye and Grant, based on what we've seen, is a ground of a 1st round tourney team.

Then, the gravy is added depending on the growth of any of the following:

-Will Mike G become the guy we think he can.
-Will TC make a jump.
-Will DC2 be the guy JB thinks can dominate inside.
-Will Rak progress
-Would Roberson and or BJ add value,

I'd like to think those bullets, at least some, are pretty likely!

, f gtown, bring on hoops!!!

Can Not Agree More! Along with the new players I am interested to see what we get from Cooney. 3rd year in the program, most experienced backcourt player. If we get the Trevor Cooney we were hoping for then this team's only weakness will be a freshman PG. I'll take that, considering the freshman PG we are talking about!

Haven't seen any posts with observations on early season practices. Is that because of the Melo Center and more difficult access? Would love to get some impressions from these practices. Maybe some insights on where people are playing and potential starting lineup...there are some interesting questions to be answered on this young team. So many new faces as well as veterans that need to step up.

If Boeheim says it, he believes it. He always says what's on his mind, as evidenced by his never dull press conferences.

If Ennis truly is as talented as Pearl, Sherm, etc that is saying something. My only question is, will he be effective playing 32+ minutes a game? I know we have Buss & Silent G as backup PG options, but will they be able to effectively spell Ennis? The good news is, we'll get an answer to that question, or at least a glimpse of what's to come. College b'ball in August. Doesn't get much better than that!

This is great, but let's keep in mind that Boeheim also said that Paul Harris would be freshman of the year once too... so he's not infallible. Still, this does get me very excited because more often than not he is correct when he says these things.

Mason

Reactions: 007
I agree. Boeheim, if anything, usually says how the team needs to work, they aren't very good, etc (more of a negative outlook than positive).

Are you saying Boeheim isn't the Happy Fun Guy type?

I feel very confident knowing Tyler has tons of international experience and top tier prep school experience under his belt. Tyler is a yr older as well. Just get a good vibe knowing these things and what I've been able to witness from his maturity and court savy. Almost feels like were getting a good transfer from another elite college.

This is great, but let's keep in mind that Boeheim also said that Paul Harris would be freshman of the year once too... so he's not infallible. Still, this does get me very excited because more often than not he is correct when he says these things.

Mason
i was going to say this and also that JB said fab would be the freshman of the year too. but i will say JB has a very good track record nearly all of the time

Mason
Agreed. Even Boeheim (like the rest of us) is wrong from time to time. But at least we know if Boeheim says it, he actually believes it. He's not just going to hype someone up for the sake of it.

Agreed. Even Boeheim (like the rest of us) is wrong from time to time. But at least we know if Boeheim says it, he actually believes it. He's not just going to hype someone up for the sake of it.
Completely disagree. Of course, JB says thing with alterior motives in mind. Has for years. For instance:

"Not 10 games" - hyperbole concerning a player
"I did not listen to the tape" - in regards to the BF tape. Pure lie designed to stop the questioning.

Unfortunately, his Ennis comments come with an obvious motive. JB needs/wants a confident, steady pg and Ennis needs to deliver.
I'm excited to see Ennis play because JB got his man. I respect JB's talent evaluation skills and when he can get his main targets odds are things will go well. But the comments are pretty much meaningless for me.

Completely disagree. Of course, JB says thing with alterior motives in mind. Has for years. For instance:

"Not 10 games" - hyperbole concerning a player
"I did not listen to the tape" - in regards to the BF tape. Pure lie designed to stop the questioning.

Unfortunately, his Ennis comments come with an obvious motive. JB needs/wants a confident, steady pg and Ennis needs to deliver.
I'm excited to see Ennis play because JB got his man. I respect JB's talent evaluation skills and when he can get his main targets odds are things will go well. But the comments are pretty much meaningless for me.
Did Boeheim really believe that we wouldn't win 10 games without GMac? I don't know. But his remarks were made out of anger, not to try to hype a player up. And I think the Fine situation was completely different than his evaluation of Ennis. All I meant in my comments was that when Boeheim praises a player, he's not trying to hype the guy up. He feels it's the truth. I will concede that in situations like the one with Fine, he may not always say what he believes.

You guys are forgetting something very important. JB is really old. He may not remember before the Jason Hart years, because he is so old. It isn't his fault, he is old.

I think JB is very good at assessing where players stand and is honest, sometimes to a fault, but he is not above using the press to help motivate his players. Sometimes with negative reinforcement, sometimes with positive. Whatever he thinks they need to get to their full potential.

For instance, it is my belief that he was sometimes overly effusive in his praise of BT, who he thought needed positive comments from the coaching staff to play his best.

Did Boeheim really believe that we wouldn't win 10 games without GMac? I don't know. But his remarks were made out of anger, not to try to hype a player up. And I think the Fine situation was completely different than his evaluation of Ennis. All I meant in my comments was that when Boeheim praises a player, he's not trying to hype the guy up. He feels it's the truth. I will concede that in situations like the one with Fine, he may not always say what he believes.

You don't know if JB really believed we wouldn't win 10 games? Really?

JB routinely uses the media as a motivating tool. He certainly is not above praising a player if he thinks it will help said player -as tomcat notes above with BT. And he will take a player down a peg too, if he feels that is the way to go.

It's coachspeak at this point. Does he really mean Ennis is as good as the Pearl? I doubt it.

From the highlights and conversations from coaches and peers you have to wonder if Tyler might just be the most complete PG we have ever had. Best is not the right word IMHO as clearly Tyler has to be pretty amazing to be the best. We have had some good guards of late - MCW was a defensive and assist machine and a good penetrator as well as rebounder. Scoop was feisty and crafty doing a little bit of everything as well as a good leader. Flynn was dynamite in a bottle. Gerry was Gerry.. just a bigtime gamer who could go bonkers from three and was as clutch as they come. Billy Edelin was an old school get in the paint kinda PG who was unstoppable at times and who we never got to see just how good he could be. Now we have Tyler who is crafty, has a nice shot, can get into the lane is good at setting up teammates , gets on the boards and has a knack for getting his hands in the passing lanes. Additionally he has that confidence and swagger about him that Dion/Scoop had.

He truly seems like the type of player who just elevates the entire team's game. Just hoping that rings true and have faith in the nothing but positive feedback that seems somewhat unanimous to the point that it also seems silly he wasn't ranked in the top 10 of all recruits and the #1 PG.

I think JB is very good at assessing where players stand and is honest, sometimes to a fault, but he is not above using the press to help motivate his players. Sometimes with negative reinforcement, sometimes with positive. Whatever he thinks they need to get to their full potential.

For instance, it is my belief that he was sometimes overly effusive in his praise of BT, who he thought needed positive comments from the coaching staff to play his best.

I don't want to dump on Ennis, but he is not nearly as good as Pearl or Douglas, and there is no way Boeheim believes he is. As someone else said, Boeheim has a very good reason for wanting Ennis to be confident going into the season (namely he is going to take a few lumps, and he is going to need the confidence to get through that) and Boeheim is not above using the media to advance his agenda (all coaches do it).

Lets keep our expectations somewhat reasonable. If Ennis is a competent starter as a freshman I will be extremely happy. Zero percent chance of him being the next Pearl.

I don't want to dump on Ennis, but he is not nearly as good as Pearl or Douglas, and there is no way Boeheim believes he is. As someone else said, Boeheim has a very good reason for wanting Ennis to be confident going into the season (namely he is going to take a few lumps, and he is going to need the confidence to get through that) and Boeheim is not above using the media to advance his agenda (all coaches do it).

Lets keep our expectations somewhat reasonable. If Ennis is a competent starter as a freshman I will be extremely happy. Zero percent chance of him being the next Pearl.
lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseEagle8

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom