Eric Dungey | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Eric Dungey

He has never played tight end before in his life.

He weighs around 220 and that's the biggest he's ever been.

He would need to put on about 30-40 pounds to even reach the normal weight of an NFL tight end.

Why would any NFL team take a flyer on a guy who's never played a position that requires the skill of a WR but also the blocking of a guard/tackle?

He is never going to be an NFL tight end. Sorry.
The pats seem to come up with former qb's that turn out well for them. I'm not saying tight end but Eric is a football player. I think he can find a spot on a NFL team.

The pats seem to come up with former qb's that turn out well for them. I'm not saying tight end but Eric is a football player. I think he can find a spot on a NFL team.

I'm not sure if I see Eric at the next level but if he gets there, it's as a QB.

th

I'm not sure who's going to have a tougher day on film day...the Miami DB who Dungey Kung fu-ed to the ground, or the Miami DL who had the ball ripped from his hands by Dungey.
Should have gotten one of these for each.
m5rtXGaPur5hQh6InHuA9Lw.jpg

I think Eric is an average passer with good running ability but his best qualities are leadership and a huge pair of, well you know. Dino has done a good job adjusting the offense to his players. I think the offense will look very different in two years.

First of all ED has my respect tough as they come , improviser , competitor , good touch passer . His problem is he is to muscled up you can't be upper body muscled up . Look at the NFL Qb's Brady , Rodgers , breese Stanford , Ryan etc no muscles . I can off the top of my head remember 2 Tebow and Brady Quinn ... To have a quick release and a fluid throwing motion you must be loose and be fast twitch , none of that happens when you are muscled up . The problem is for most skill guys the only way to gain weight is to put on muscle I had that problem with TD he got to muscled up in the winter we had to modify his workouts , we are trying to put on the extra pounds in his legs and ass to avoid getting him upper body stiff . For as long as I could remember pitchers never lifted weights for this reason .
He would benifit from using his wrist more, but that's a mechanical overhaul that takes a crazy amount of reps to correct .
How is Tommy doing? I have watched him on the sideline during home games and he is super engaged with other QBs and coaches. How is practice going?

First of all ED has my respect tough as they come , improviser , competitor , good touch passer . His problem is he is to muscled up you can't be upper body muscled up . Look at the NFL Qb's Brady , Rodgers , breese Stanford , Ryan etc no muscles . I can off the top of my head remember 2 Tebow and Brady Quinn ... To have a quick release and a fluid throwing motion you must be loose and be fast twitch , none of that happens when you are muscled up . The problem is for most skill guys the only way to gain weight is to put on muscle I had that problem with TD he got to muscled up in the winter we had to modify his workouts , we are trying to put on the extra pounds in his legs and ass to avoid getting him upper body stiff . For as long as I could remember pitchers never lifted weights for this reason .
He would benifit from using his wrist more, but that's a mechanical overhaul that takes a crazy amount of reps to correct .
great to have you back. I was worried when you didn't post the last week or so.

I'll say it again. This kid can be a pass receiving TE in the NFL.
No. Freaking. Way.

Have you even watched the NFL and what a TE looks like and does nowdays? John Mackey played TE in the NFL at 225 lbs ...that was in 1963. Now TE's are freak athletes like Gronk, Graham, Witten and all are 250 plus and 6'5" tall or more.

Do we even know if Dungey can catch...outside of the 4 trick plays each year where he has to catch the ball.

He's tough, he competes like he--, he has good instincts as a runner and sadly trust his running instincts more than his passing instincts. Shaky o-line, minimal WR separation and quite frankly shaky accuracy result in a run first mindset.

2 weeks ago Big Ben threw 5.
Out of the 4 picks only 1 was on Eric.

Making the NFL is not a stretch for him. At minimum i can see the CFL. Its hard to teach his athleticism, intelligence, leadership,and toughness.

I just watched the replays and at least 3 were on him; the 4th I might be giving him the benefit of the doubt.

#1 was the deflected pass pick.

#2 was lofting it up into triple coverage. The 3rd guy in coverage was there because we had a 2nd receiver in the intended targets area. Dungey's target was legit double covered though, so that's on him.

#3 Dungey missed a wide open Ish across the middle and instead lofted a ball up to Erv. Erv either slipped or broke off his route. I couldn't tell, but Dungey overthrew him by 10 yards and it was into double coverage again. This is on Dungey for missing Ish and throwing into double coverage whether Erv slipped or not.

#4 lofted the ball up to Custis and the 4 star DB Jackson had superb inside coverage. That's on Dungey for throwing the ball inside instead of on the outside shoulder. as well as under-throwing it. he needed to put it up and out where Custis could go get it. Custis had no chance.

I just watched the replays and at least 3 were on him; the 4th I might be giving him the benefit of the doubt.

#2 was lofting it up into triple coverage. The 3rd guy in coverage was there because we had a 2nd receiver in the intended targets area. Dungey's target was legit double covered though, so that's on him.

#3 Dungey missed a wide open Ish across the middle and instead lofted a ball up to Erv. Erv either slipped or broke off his route. I couldn't tell, but Dungey overthrew him by 10 yards and it was into double coverage again. This is on Dungey for missing Ish and throwing into double coverage whether Erv slipped or not.

#4 lofted the ball up to Custis and the 4 star DB Jackson had superb inside coverage. That's on Dungey for throwing the ball inside instead of on the outside shoulder. as well as under-throwing it. he needed to put it up and out where Custis could go get it. Custis had no chance.
I kept thinking they should have worn the orange helmets.

Yeah, this was really frustrating at the time. When you've got Custis in that position, there should be only two outcomes: catch, or throw out of bounds. No way you should be shorting the 6'5" receiver in a way that gets the ball picked.

Yeah, this was really frustrating at the time. When you've got Custis in that position, there should be only two outcomes: catch, or throw out of bounds. No way you should be shorting the 6'5" receiver in a way that gets the ball picked.
...or Custis should have played DB and broke-up the play.

I kept thinking they should have worn the orange helmets.

ya know that's something I've never considered before, and you have a REALLY good point. Hunters wear Orange, there's a reason for that.

I agree

I have absolutely no problem with ED bulking up. I absolutely love watching the kid. I wouldn't trade him for anybody, but I don't think he really has much of a chance to play QB at the next level. Therefore, he needed to add the bulk to play the type of game that he does. I would actually question if he would have made it through Saturday if he didn't have the added size he put on this year. ED is your prototypical dual-threat QB. He is just as much a threat with his feet, then he is with his arm. In the ACC we are going up against some of the best DL's in the country. ED is now built to withstand the punishment. He passes well enough for this level. He shouldn't alter his body to where he would be more likely to take an injury just to try and improve his accuracy by a few % points. The style of ED's game requires his current level of muscle. If we are going to win games, and if ED is going to maximize his talent, it's not going to because ED all a sudden turned into a pocket passer.