Ernie Davis shoutout | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Ernie Davis shoutout

Isn't anyone here over 10 years old? At QB you have to have Joe Pendleton (Heaven Can Wait). There is no debate about that.

Isn't anyone here over 10 years old? At QB you have to have Joe Pendleton (Heaven Can Wait). There is no debate about that.

I though about that one but couldn't bring myself to nominate Warren Beatty for anything.

I'll take Paul Crewe every day of the week. And yes, the Burt version.

Although that Junior Floyd sure is quite a player. Lots of potential there.

I though about that one but couldn't bring myself to nominate Warren Beatty for anything.

What about Johnny B Good at QB ... kid had offers everywhere! Don't forget to add Stefen Djordjevic at LB

He was a great QB even in a corporate CEO body! How can you beat that?

I'll take Paul Crewe every day of the week. And yes, the Burt version.

Although that Junior Floyd sure is quite a player. Lots of potential there.

the Icebox is gotta be one of the best nicknames ever, and I still try and run the annexation of PR, whenever applicable...

What about Johnny B Good at QB ... kid had offers everywhere! Don't forget to add Stefen Djordjevic at LB
Oh hell yes! Johnny Walker was amazing. While we are at it, Coach Hisler is another of my top movie characters of all time.

"God wants you to put your foot on their balls and believe in it"

Best Fictional Girlfriend: Bobby Boucher's Vicki

I don't know about that. Since Johhny Be Good got brought up, it's a dead heat between Vicki and Georgia(Uma). Vicki's got alot but Georgia made me happy to be a teenage boy for a long long time. Also can't think of her name but Kristy Swanson's character in The Program has to be on the list as well.

Ya know, we brought up Lattimer as a player but Alvin Mack was the real talent at LB on that team. Would have to think medical advancements took care of his knee injury.

I thought Stef was more of a CB. He's got the heart, but he's small and sometimes closes too fast on the WR resulting in dumb penalties. That's why most of the D1 programs overlooked him.

790 the zone in Atlanta was talking about best all star football team consisting of movie characters.

Started with qb's as there was a recent article ranking the best of all time. Hence the segment.

Went to lb'ers because it was a pretty incredible list of movie characters. LT, BOBBY BOUSHAY, and 2 others. Don't remember off the top of my head but it sounded great. I would have added icebox to the list. I know they didnt have her in their 'dream team'

Then went to rb's. the host John Michaels basically said the list started and ended with Ernie Davis "from the Ernie Davis movie"

His cohost tried arguing that u can't take a guy "basically from a biography" but that didnt matter. The host wanted him and booby miles on his team.
atlanta sports talk covering 'whos your favorite movie make believe football team'....instead of the NBA playoffs, the Stanley Cup, baseball season, the NFL draft results, golf, and i would assume the yokels down there discuss nascar.

wow, just wow.

to revisit a previous thread...its no wonder nobody down there has heard of Francesa.

Oh Lord

atlanta sports talk covering 'whos your favorite movie make believe football team'....instead of the NBA playoffs, the Stanley Cup, baseball season, the NFL draft results, golf, and i would assume the yokels down there discuss nascar.

wow, just wow.

to revisit a previous thread...its no wonder nobody down there has heard of Francesa.

Oh Lord

haha. are you trying to make fun of the south - while calling Francesa 'mainstream media?'

OK.

FYI the article about the movie characters came from SI.com. I guess they had nothing better to do. It was about a 3 minute piece on the radio - and I thought it was cool that his 1st response was so adamantly Ernie Davis. Not many people know that story, Hell I would be shocked if Francesca has ever heard of Ernie Davis.

Anyway, NBA is talked about, Stanley Cup is not (did you seriously use that as an example anyway? is that a major sport?), baseball is talked about, Golf is Atlanta, Nascar has some shows specifically devoted to it - but not talked about on the main morning or afternoon drive unless something big.

I thought Stef was more of a CB. He's got the heart, but he's small and sometimes closes too fast on the WR resulting in dumb penalties. That's why most of the D1 programs overlooked him.

Stef was a corner back. Blew the game also. Then got drunk and destroyed the greatest TV and movie football coach of all times front yard. In terms of coaches you know you have to pick Hayden Fox with Luther running the O. I'm not sure what Dobber did, specials maybe.

haha. are you trying to make fun of the south - while calling Francesa 'mainstream media?'

OK.

FYI the article about the movie characters came from SI.com. I guess they had nothing better to do. It was about a 3 minute piece on the radio - and I thought it was cool that his 1st response was so adamantly Ernie Davis. Not many people know that story, Hell I would be shocked if Francesca has ever heard of Ernie Davis.

Anyway, NBA is talked about, Stanley Cup is not (did you seriously use that as an example anyway? is that a major sport?), baseball is talked about, Golf is Atlanta, Nascar has some shows specifically devoted to it - but not talked about on the main morning or afternoon drive unless something big.
its all good, you basically said you define mainstream as 'currently on a national network', thats fine.

you know the Pope knows of Davis.

seriously, im surprised nascar doesnt get more run on the drive times.

its all good, you basically said you define mainstream as 'currently on a national network', thats fine.

you know the Pope knows of Davis.

seriously, im surprised nascar doesnt get more run on the drive times.

most of the hosts are from the north.

off the top of my head we have boston (steak shapiro), cleveland (nick cellini, brother of vince), jersey (chris dimino), nyc (mike bell), and philly (john kinkade who is national on cbsradio on sat's and used to fill in for cowherd when he was on espn).

Then there are a few southern guys like Buck Belue (former uga qb), Tony Barnhardt (national cbs guy), Wes Durham (1 of the most respected college broadcasters around - ask matt park), and Chuck Oliver.

Not sure where Dave Archer (backup QB for pretty much every NFL team for a million years) or Chernoff are from.

I inadvertently just introduced everyone to Atlanta sports talk. You're welcome everyone.

edit: i have no idea why i just did that... i guess it was in reference to you wondering why nascar didnt get much pub. football is king here. College and Pro are probably talked about on an even level which is a huge win for college as I assume its not even close to 50-50 in other areas of the country.

No more Beau Bock? Nick's a cool guy. He bought me a beer at a remote once. Dimino is one of the best sports talk hosts around. I remember he subbed on WFAN awhile back. Mike Bell always reminded me of a poor man's Artie Lange (minus the heroin). Wes Durham is really good. Are the 2 Live Stews or Jamie Dukes around anymore? What about Beau Bock?

No more Beau Bock? Nick's a cool guy. He bought me a beer at a remote once. Dimino is one of the best sports talk hosts around. I remember he subbed on WFAN awhile back. Mike Bell always reminded me of a poor man's Artie Lange (minus the heroin). Wes Durham is really good. Are the 2 Live Stews or Jamie Dukes around anymore? What about Beau Bock?

Jamie Dukes is national nfl now i believe. He still calls in from time to time.

2 live stews kind of fell off the face of the earth. they are gone from 790.

beau bock is basically a sub now. he is on a few days a week filling in for anyone thats out. he and mike bell are awesome. they basically just talk about how awesome buckhead was back when buckhead was buckhead.

most of the hosts are from the north.

off the top of my head we have boston (steak shapiro), cleveland (nick cellini, brother of vince), jersey (chris dimino), nyc (mike bell), and philly (john kinkade who is national on cbsradio on sat's and used to fill in for cowherd when he was on espn).

Then there are a few southern guys like Buck Belue (former uga qb), Tony Barnhardt (national cbs guy), Wes Durham (1 of the most respected college broadcasters around - ask matt park), and Chuck Oliver.

Not sure where Dave Archer (backup QB for pretty much every NFL team for a million years) or Chernoff are from.

I inadvertently just introduced everyone to Atlanta sports talk. You're welcome everyone.

edit: i have no idea why i just did that... i guess it was in reference to you wondering why nascar didnt get much pub. football is king here. College and Pro are probably talked about on an even level which is a huge win for college as I assume its not even close to 50-50 in other areas of the country.

Don't forget Perry Laurentino is another carpetbagger if I recall correctly.

Jamie Dukes is national nfl now i believe. He still calls in from time to time.

2 live stews kind of fell off the face of the earth. they are gone from 790.

beau bock is basically a sub now. he is on a few days a week filling in for anyone thats out. he and mike bell are awesome. they basically just talk about how awesome buckhead was back when buckhead was buckhead.

It's sad to hear that Buckhead isn't Buckhead anymore. There was always something for everyone. Whether you wanted to play darts at an English pub, drink a fishbowl with some friends, dance at a not so overly trendy club, or get your craic on at an Irish pub. I'm sure I'll be a bit disappointed when I come down in October.

Stef was a corner back. Blew the game also. Then got drunk and destroyed the greatest TV and movie football coach of all times front yard. In terms of coaches you know you have to pick Hayden Fox with Luther running the O. I'm not sure what Dobber did, specials maybe.
I heard that Dobber is currently living under a rock and is best friends with a sponge, pretty sad.

It's sad to hear that Buckhead isn't Buckhead anymore. There was always something for everyone. Whether you wanted to play darts at an English pub, drink a fishbowl with some friends, dance at a not so overly trendy club, or get your craic on at an Irish pub. I'm sure I'll be a bit disappointed when I come down in October.

Crime is becoming a massive problem ... really sad.

Well, I'm sure the fat chicks at BAR were somehow able to survive.