ESPN Blue Blood Rankings | Syracusefan.com

ESPN Blue Blood Rankings

Not surprising with our history to be honest. I think I saw where Syracuse is rated a top 10 football factory for NFL players.

Not surprising with our history to be honest. I think I saw where Syracuse is rated a top 10 football factory for NFL players.
That was by the NFL Network.

Arkansas at 25? How?
upload_2016-8-26_8-20-33.jpeg

our peer in some ways is Washington. They have literally done zilch in a decade and are still in the top 25. Two teams with one national championship. I think if GERG didn't detonate this program as bad as he did we would be in that 22-25 range.

our peer in some ways is Washington. They have literally done zilch in a decade and are still in the top 25. Two teams with one national championship. I think if GERG didn't detonate this program as bad as he did we would be in that 22-25 range.
There's certainly a significant amount of victim of the moment factor in these rankings. The upper tier is pretty accurate but Oregon's recent success is certainly weighed more heavily than other teams past successes. Everthing they mention about them is 2010 or later. Washington's NC came more recently than ours. It seems we get penalized for not winning conference championships due to being independent for so long whereas Arkansas gets credit for winning conference championships from a dead conference. It also doesn't seem to matter as much that the GOAT played for us and should have had our first Heisman if not for racism. Other teams get credit for Heismans by players that had the road paved them by him and Ernie.

Hows Penn State higher than the U

Good post comparing to Washington. Think that is fair. Have the same "GERG" thought often. He really set us back, not that it was all his fault (BE decline, facilities, etc) but if we get someone competent to even keep us at 6-6 those years we are a different program today

Good post comparing to Washington. Think that is fair. Have the same "GERG" thought often. He really set us back, not that it was all his fault (BE decline, facilities, etc) but if we get someone competent to even keep us at 6-6 those years we are a different program today

I've always wondered if Pasqualoni, after 1992, got some NFL buzz or buzz to go to a bigger program where would things be now if Jake had made the hire to replace Paul. Who would have been the guy at that time to go after? Would Coughlin leave BC for Syracuse prior to Jax, Would Edsall have been ready, would have Dick Mac come back...very interesting hypotheticals at that point. Obviously a different set of names had P left after the big uptick post the Gator Bowl.

I assume Paul's white whale job would have been Penn St so this is prob a moot discussion but it makes me wonder what ground the program would have been on if the transition occurred at the height and with Jake calling the shots.

We have had two crappy 15 year periods (the 70s through the mid 80s and the early 2000s to now) that crushed any chance of us being higher than this list places us.

I'm not sure I can take this seriously. Not when Rutgers, "the Birth Place of Football", is only ranked tied #80. We all know they should be much higher...hell, just ask their fans.

ha!

I love that RU is ranked behind Indiana and Vandy, those two football factories.

Anyone other then Greg Robinson and this program is closer to 18 then 35.

I obviously agree that GRob was beyond horrendous in his four years here, but once he left, Marrone had us back to winning 8 games and bowl games very quickly, which is better than anything Coach P did in his final seasons at SU.

I obviously agree that GRob was beyond horrendous in his four years here, but once he left, Marrone had us back to winning 8 games and bowl games very quickly, which is better than anything Coach P did in his final seasons at SU.

With all due respect to Marrone, P should have bowled (if we are using the same standard for the oversaturation of bowls by Marrone's tenure) in 93, 94, 00, and 03.

Not getting into the whys but P had this program in bowl contention every season but 2002. Since then we have been to 3 bowls (and only in bowl contention in like 4 seasons).

With all due respect to Marrone, P should have bowled (if we are using the same standard for the oversaturation of bowls by Marrone's tenure) in 93, 94, 00, and 03.

Fair point. But I guess my underlying point is that I don't think GRob took us THAT off track. We certainly lost a few years of production, but nothing that I think really effects our placement in this ranking more than a spot or two.

Fair point. But I guess my underlying point is that I don't think GRob took us THAT off track. We certainly lost a few years of production, but nothing that I think really effects our placement in this ranking more than a spot or two.

i think the perception of those years took us from a team that was having a few mediocre years and would climb back to its bowl plateau (nationally speaking) to a program that was Rutgers in the 90s pathetic.

I always think of that Gameday story they did on how pathetic we became under GERG and Corso was just lamenting why they fired P. Again, the why's aren't important the perception is. The move was perceived to be completely wrong and one that took a college football stalwart program to the levels of Temple/Rutgers. These lists are based off of smell tests like that.

They have had more consistent success than us historically, with 13 all-time Top 10 AP poll finishes compared to our 5.
Goof point. I wonder exactly how they balance that with NC's, Heisman's, and AA's. We obviously have them in the first two. It wouldn't surprise me if we had more of the last one two (I'm too busy to look it up). I'm not saying we should be in the top 25. I'm surprised they are.

I've always wondered if Pasqualoni, after 1992, got some NFL buzz or buzz to go to a bigger program where would things be now if Jake had made the hire to replace Paul. Who would have been the guy at that time to go after? Would Coughlin leave BC for Syracuse prior to Jax, Would Edsall have been ready, would have Dick Mac come back...very interesting hypotheticals at that point. Obviously a different set of names had P left after the big uptick post the Gator Bowl.

I assume Paul's white whale job would have been Penn St so this is prob a moot discussion but it makes me wonder what ground the program would have been on if the transition occurred at the height and with Jake calling the shots.

If P left after 92, I imagine that Coughlin would have been the first call and I think he would have taken the job. What I find interesting about that is, does he stay at his alma mater forever (a la JB) or still take Jags job in 95 (a la Marrone)? Maybe today, JB and TC would be entering their final years after hugely successful runs at their alma mater. Who knows? But it is interesting to think about.

If P left after 92, I imagine that Coughlin would have been the first call and I think he would have taken the job. What I find interesting about that is, does he stay at his alma mater forever (a la JB) or still take Jags job in 95 (a la Marrone)? Maybe today, JB and TC would be entering their final years after hugely successful runs at their alma mater. Who knows? But it is interesting to think about.
Another question is would he have remained successful for that long? He doesn't seem like a guy willing to change much and the college game seems to evolve faster than the pro game. Could he have recruited well enough to be successful? I feel like he was more of a pro coach at heart.