ESPN Draft update 3/27 | Syracusefan.com

ESPN Draft update 3/27

Cusefan0307

Red recruits the ACC!
Oshae drops out of top 100 prospect list.

Battle up to 27-

The ever-confident Battle continued his impressive tournament run by willing the undermanned Orange to a narrow loss against Duke. Battle showcased his versatile -- and sometimes erratic -- scoring attack by stepping into catch-and-shoot 3s, rising over defenders for pull-ups and knifing into Duke's zone to drop in floaters or connect on lobs or kick-outs. Battle still settled for low-percentage shots, exposed the ball in traffic and showed his shortcomings as a shooter when he isn't able to rely on upward momentum to get to his release point.

Battle's defensive effort in the Syracuse zone also tended to waver at times. But overall he more than showed his talent level as a 6-7, 210-pound powerful athlete who puts pressure on the rim in transition, creates shots out of spread pick-and-rolls and gets to a pull-up jumper in isolation situations. He was never afraid to take and make big shots all tournament long, which is something scouts can certainly appreciate when projecting him as a bench scorer at the next level.

Looking forward: Battle certainly showed his talent in March by leading a mediocre Syracuse roster to the Sweet 16. He isn't short on question marks, though, with a hitchy jumper and sometimes wild style of play. The 20-year-old posted a lowly 42.8 true shooting percentage over his last five games and still has concerns to address about his overall efficiency.

With that said, Battle was forced to shoulder a heavy load at Syracuse. He has NBA size and makes things happen with the ball is in his hands, possessing more playmaking ability than he was able to show in college. Battle could be an interesting option for an outside-the-box team that would consider giving him freedom playing on the ball in a bench lineup. Battle's herky-jerky style and shot-creation acumen should look even better when surrounded by shooters on a spaced NBA floor. Battle, who was more of an energy defender in Team USA settings prior to Syracuse, has more than adequate size, quickness and physicality to be a plus defender of one or two positions at the NBA level, as well. In a draft seen as top-heavy and lacking in depth, Battle could certainly garner first-round interest, especially if he shoots the ball well during the pre-draft process. -

Battle up to 27-

The ever-confident Battle continued his impressive tournament run by willing the undermanned Orange to a narrow loss against Duke. Battle showcased his versatile -- and sometimes erratic -- scoring attack by stepping into catch-and-shoot 3s, rising over defenders for pull-ups and knifing into Duke's zone to drop in floaters or connect on lobs or kick-outs. Battle still settled for low-percentage shots, exposed the ball in traffic and showed his shortcomings as a shooter when he isn't able to rely on upward momentum to get to his release point.

Battle's defensive effort in the Syracuse zone also tended to waver at times. But overall he more than showed his talent level as a 6-7, 210-pound powerful athlete who puts pressure on the rim in transition, creates shots out of spread pick-and-rolls and gets to a pull-up jumper in isolation situations. He was never afraid to take and make big shots all tournament long, which is something scouts can certainly appreciate when projecting him as a bench scorer at the next level.

Looking forward: Battle certainly showed his talent in March by leading a mediocre Syracuse roster to the Sweet 16. He isn't short on question marks, though, with a hitchy jumper and sometimes wild style of play. The 20-year-old posted a lowly 42.8 true shooting percentage over his last five games and still has concerns to address about his overall efficiency.

With that said, Battle was forced to shoulder a heavy load at Syracuse. He has NBA size and makes things happen with the ball is in his hands, possessing more playmaking ability than he was able to show in college. Battle could be an interesting option for an outside-the-box team that would consider giving him freedom playing on the ball in a bench lineup. Battle's herky-jerky style and shot-creation acumen should look even better when surrounded by shooters on a spaced NBA floor. Battle, who was more of an energy defender in Team USA settings prior to Syracuse, has more than adequate size, quickness and physicality to be a plus defender of one or two positions at the NBA level, as well. In a draft seen as top-heavy and lacking in depth, Battle could certainly garner first-round interest, especially if he shoots the ball well during the pre-draft process. -

Not sure there could be a more accurate analysis than this.

I might add intangibles. Iron man who led the country in mpg. Durable. Great work ethic. Strong enough to finish through contact. Not a guy you have to worry about being prepared.

Tyus may be a low ceiling, high floor, type of player. Some teams need to roll the dice late first and some are looking for a steady rotation guy.

He will be a first rounder after combine
It’s a good recruiting pitch if we keep our 1st round pick streak going
I'd be the first to congratulate him and wish him well -- IF he get's a promise. If not, going the Justin Jackson route beats the G-L bus tour any day. Remember that next year, the cavalry arrives for SU: there will be a lot more talent to distract defenses and provide floor space for Tyus to shine.

Last edited:

Battle up to 27-

Fantastic assessment.

Good for Tyus. If he can squeeze into the first round, it will be nice to keep our streak alive.

As an article I saw last week suggested, the timing of Battle's upward movement is curious. He had a decent NCAA tourney, but it wasn't anything really that spectacular that would warrant such an upward movement in my opinion. I know he hit that big shot in the in the MSU game, but his shooting stats weren't that good otherwise, and, in the TCU game, if it wasn't for Marek, we probably lose that one. Even JB stated in his presser after the MSU game and before the Duke game, that our guards would have to shoot much better than they have been to continue advancing. I think Battle's 3 point shooting percentage prior to Duke was in the 20's, if I recall correctly.

I think I also read some place that this ESPN mock is the only current mock that has Tyus in the 1st round, I may be incorrect on that too, are there other mocks now that have him going in the 1st round? It will be interesting to see what happens and where he ends up being drafted. As others have mentioned, the draft combine will be monumental for him. Wishing him the best.

Brissett was 66th last week. I bet he doesn’t show in the top 100 now because they are assuming he’s coming back.
Good glad he's not in the top 100.

Expect Battle's draft stock to steadily rise. He will do well at the combine because he has NBA athleticism and measurables. He will do well in interviews because he is a smart, articulate, and good kid who will impress. His only question mark will be how well he shoots the ball in private workouts. I'm guessing he goes later 1st round somewhere from 24-30.

Brissett was 66th last week. I bet he doesn’t show in the top 100 now because they are assuming he’s coming back.

From espn: “This top 100 differs from our mock drafts in one crucial way: The top 100 is an overall ranking of all draft-eligible prospects in the 2018 NBA draft, regardless of whether or not we believe they are likely to enter -- or ultimately stay in -- the draft.”

As an article I saw last week suggested, the timing of Battle's upward movement is curious. He had a decent NCAA tourney, but it wasn't anything really that spectacular that would warrant such an upward movement in my opinion. I know he hit that big shot in the in the MSU game, but his shooting stats weren't that good otherwise, and, in the TCU game, if it wasn't for Marek, we probably lose that one. Even JB stated in his presser after the MSU game and before the Duke game, that our guards would have to shoot much better than they have been to continue advancing. I think Battle's 3 point shooting percentage prior to Duke was in the 20's, if I recall correctly.

I think I also read some place that this ESPN mock is the only current mock that has Tyus in the 1st round, I may be incorrect on that too, are there other mocks now that have him going in the 1st round? It will be interesting to see what happens and where he ends up being drafted. As others have mentioned, the draft combine will be monumental for him. Wishing him the best.

Something called basketballinsiders.com has him 27th to the Celtics

I might add intangibles. Iron man who led the country in mpg. Durable. Great work ethic. Strong enough to finish through contact. Not a guy you have to worry about being prepared.

Tyus may be a low ceiling, high floor, type of player. Some teams need to roll the dice late first and some are looking for a steady rotation guy.
He's also going to show well in interviews with teams. Smart kid. Low risk for issues off the court. Comes from a great family. If you're looking for a low risk back-up guard with an NBA body, you could do much worse, especially with the bigger rosters now.