ESPN Draft update 3/27 | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

ESPN Draft update 3/27

Lydon blocked what, like 15 in 4 games?

Edit: 20 in 5 games... amazing.

Lydon had 6 steals in those 5 games too.

Bagley had 0 blocks and 1 steal in 4 games, it's really hard to believe a guy who is that active on offense does nothing on defense

From espn: “This top 100 differs from our mock drafts in one crucial way: The top 100 is an overall ranking of all draft-eligible prospects in the 2018 NBA draft, regardless of whether or not we believe they are likely to enter -- or ultimately stay in -- the draft.”

Thanks. Makes no sense then. He was 66 last week between the MSU and Duke games. Not sure what he did in the Duke game to drop 35+ spots.

Bagley is a bad defender. K wouldn't have gone zone so much if he was an average defender. Can't mask a bad defender if you need to play him 35+ minutes.

His offensive game is spectacular, but he is a huge liability at the defensive end. Will be interesting to see how that evolves moving forward.

Thanks. Makes no sense then. He was 66 last week between the MSU and Duke games. Not sure what he did in the Duke game to drop 35+ spots.

Unless Givony only watched the first half. I think he generally does a good job but kicking Oshae out is bizarre.

Unless Givony only watched the first half. I think he generally does a good job but kicking Oshae out is bizarre.

It's not just Givony. They have an entire team of people. Maybe they talked to some scouts that said he needed another year and received better information. At one point Tyus was ranked in the 50"s this year.

Lydon had 6 steals in those 5 games too.

Bagley had 0 blocks and 1 steal in 4 games, it's really hard to believe a guy who is that active on offense does nothing on defense

It's actually not as unbelievable when you remember that Jahlil Okafor was essentially the same thing. And his pro career has tanked because of his non-existent defense.

Lydon had a block percentage of 6% when he was here. Bagley's is 2.7%. Okafor's was 4.5.

I think Bagley is better than Okafor overall though. He's a better rebounder and more diverse scorer.

I'm rooting for him to get the feedback he needs to make the best decision.

And then when he does and gets drafted in the 1st round, extending our streak, I'll be so happy.
If its the right feedback. I don't know why anyone would root for him not to be on the roster next year.

If its the right feedback. I don't know why anyone would root for him not to be on the roster next year.
Because I prioritize him making fat stacks of cash as a reward for his talent and hard work over me having another fun player to root for at Syracuse.

So me get this straight you actively rooting for him to leave.

YES. Because the odds are, it's the right call for him.

While in theory he could "raise his draft stock" by coming back, there are also legions of kids who had the opposite thing happen to them (o hai Grayson Allen! :p )
And that's not even accounting for what would happen if he got injured - and he's had a history of that, prior to this season.

Tyus has all the measurables, and the intangibles. He's a prototype NBA 2-guard.
And the draft is all about potential - he's got it.
Hopefully he goes the route of going thru the evaluations WITHOUT hiring an agent, just in case the feedback isn't great.
But honestly, once they meet him, and measure him, odds are some GM is going to like what they see.

Go with God, Tyus, and make us all proud!!
Thank you for bleeding Orange these past 2 years.

PS - Having guys like Tyus get drafted, means we're more likely to get more great players like Tyus, who will then get drafted. You want to be able to sell that to recruits.

YES. Because the odds are, it's the right call for him.

While in theory he could "raise his draft stock" by coming back, there are also legions of kids who had the opposite thing happen to them (o hai Grayson Allen! :p )
And that's not even accounting for what would happen if he got injured - and he's had a history of that, prior to this season.

Tyus has all the measurables, and the intangibles. He's a prototype NBA 2-guard.
And the draft is all about potential - he's got it.
Hopefully he goes the route of going thru the evaluations WITHOUT hiring an agent, just in case the feedback isn't great.
But honestly, once they meet him, and measure him, odds are some GM is going to like what they see.

Go with God, Tyus, and make us all proud!!
Thank you for bleeding Orange these past 2 years.

PS - Having guys like Tyus get drafted, means we're more likely to get more great players like Tyus, who will then get drafted. You want to be able to sell that to recruits.
If he leaves that's one to thing to root for him to go is insanity you can't be all that big if an su fan. And we don't even know what the right thing is he hasn't even been advised yet.

If he leaves that's one to thing to root for him to go is insanity you can't be all that big if an su fan. And we don't even know what the right thing is he hasn't even been advised yet.
I fully expect Battle to get positive feedback about his draft prospects from NBA talent evaluators, and I fully expect you to keep saying he isn't ready and should return and is making a mistake by leaving.

Dude, we get it.

You are CLEARLY on the "EVERY PLAYER SHOULD COME BACK EVERY YEAR" side of the discussion.
We seriously do not need you to rehash your thoughts on this subject. Again.

But, here in the Real World, these young men want to move on to the NBA as quickly as they can.
While many dreamt of playing for Syracuse, that was never the end-all, be-all.
They all dream of being in the NBA. Syracuse is merely a stepping-stone to that.

Accept this reality, and achieve serenity now.
Deny it, and you're the 'old man shakes fist at clouds' meme, personified.

IF Darius Bazley didn't see us with a history of getting guys into the Association every year, you think we get him?
No freaking way.

I want guys like DBaze suiting up in Orange.
So that means I want guys like Tyus to get drafted.
Lather, Rinse, Repeat.

I fully expect Battle to get positive feedback about his draft prospects from NBA talent evaluators, and I fully expect you to keep saying he isn't ready and should return and is making a mistake by leaving.

And I fully expect that water will remain wet. :p

It's actually not as unbelievable when you remember that Jahlil Okafor was essentially the same thing. And his pro career has tanked because of his non-existent defense.

I hear you; Okafor is the easy comp, almost too easy, but I still wanna make it. Bagley seems more dynamic to me though

That said, Okafor had 10 blocks in 6 NCAA tournament games

I might add intangibles. Iron man who led the country in mpg. Durable. Great work ethic. Strong enough to finish through contact. Not a guy you have to worry about being prepared.

Tyus may be a low ceiling, high floor, type of player. Some teams need to roll the dice late first and some are looking for a steady rotation guy.
Also, a guy you are not worried about doing the wrong thing off court. That's big at the end of the 1st round.

I have yet to make one comment on whether he should leave or not. I said I am hoping he is playing for su next year something that 99 pct of cuse fans are hoping for.

Good for Battle. If he gets a first-round grade I'm with everyone else and he's got to go -- especially as a guy who's logged a bunch of minutes in college and is 21. The time is now to cash in. If he doesn't get that grade and is low second, then I think it's more of a question. But it sounds like it's good news for him on that front.

My question is this: Am I the only one who's a bit surprised to see whispers of the first round? I have consistently been wrong on these guys in terms of draft position, so I guess I shouldn't be surprised that I'm wrong, but with his spotty jumper, limited range and occasional struggles getting by his defender, I'm a little surprised he's quite as highly thought of.

FWIW, Tyus did not make 1st team, 2nd team, 3rd team or honorable mention AP All-American. I thought for sure he'd be honorable mention.

I'd love to see him come back for 1 more year but wouldn't blame him at all for taking the money and running off to the NBA.

Dude, we get it.

You are CLEARLY on the "EVERY PLAYER SHOULD COME BACK EVERY YEAR" side of the discussion.
We seriously do not need you to rehash your thoughts on this subject. Again.

But, here in the Real World, these young men want to move on to the NBA as quickly as they can.
While many dreamt of playing for Syracuse, that was never the end-all, be-all.
They all dream of being in the NBA. Syracuse is merely a stepping-stone to that.

Accept this reality, and achieve serenity now.
Deny it, and you're the 'old man shakes fist at clouds' meme, personified.

IF Darius Bazley didn't see us with a history of getting guys into the Association every year, you think we get him?
No freaking way.

I want guys like DBaze suiting up in Orange.
So that means I want guys like Tyus to get drafted.
Lather, Rinse, Repeat.
One I never once made a declaration on whether he should come back or not . I said I hope to have him on this team. If you are good enough to go I am all for it. Your number one concern as a fan is having the best team possible not how much money someone makes.

Good for Battle. If he gets a first-round grade I'm with everyone else and he's got to go -- especially as a guy who's logged a bunch of minutes in college and is 21. The time is now to cash in. If he doesn't get that grade and is low second, then I think it's more of a question. But it sounds like it's good news for him on that front.

My question is this: Am I the only one who's a bit surprised to see whispers of the first round? I have consistently been wrong on these guys in terms of draft position, so I guess I shouldn't be surprised that I'm wrong, but with his spotty jumper, limited range and occasional struggles getting by his defender, I'm a little surprised he's quite as highly thought of.

I hear ya. He’s hard for me to get a read on him partly because the offense was donkey doo-doo and there wasn’t a lot of spacing. Plus he had the green light to do whatever.

They might really scrutinize that hitch/herky-jerk motion in those workouts especially if he is struggling shooting. As far as off the bounce goes those 3-on-3 scrimmages they do at the various workouts will be big. That’s when Dion really started to surge. I remember Chad Ford commenting from one of those sites saying that Waiters was destroying everyone in those 3-on-3s. We’ll see how Battle does. He’s a bright and well-spoken kid so that stuff will be fine.