ESPN gameday on February 23rd. | Syracusefan.com

ESPN gameday on February 23rd.

cliftonparksufan

Iggy Award Czar/Co 2020-21 Iggy Award Winner PPG
I know this has been discussed before and I guess from looking at the schedule they are at Missouri at Kentucky. So no one at ESPN thought that the Georgetown at Syracuse game would mean anything. F ESPN, F Kentucky, F Georgetown, F Missouri, F Digger, F Yukon.

I get that we don't want Gameday as an annual event - it'd lose some of its novelty.

But if Georgetown doesn't merit the primetime game (three years after we last hosted Gameday), I don't know what does.

I get that we don't want Gameday as an annual event - it'd lose some of its novelty.

But if Georgetown doesn't merit the primetime game (three years after we last hosted Gameday), I don't know what does.
so was that 'nova game in '10 the last gameday we had at the dome?

I'm guessing its because they're doing gameday for SU Gtown in March and they don't want to do the same game twice in a season?

so was that 'nova game in '10 the last gameday we had at the dome?

Yeah, nothing since then. I think this is its ninth year, and we've had three (Notre Dame, Louisville, Nova). So we're due (regardless of the potentially historic Georgetown game this season).

That'd be a project for someone - track Gameday frequency for major schools.

Wiki is the best

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/College_GameDay_(basketball)#Appearances_by_school

We're tied for third in terms of times being the host. Only 2 schools have more, Kansas and Duke. I'm not sure if that list includes all the games already on the schedule, but if not, UNC and UK will pass us this year.

If we host UNC or Duke on a saturday next year, I'd bet that is a gameday game.

I'm guessing its because they're doing gameday for SU Gtown in March and they don't want to do the same game twice in a season?
Is that just a guess, cause I think they are doing UNC-Duke that day.

I forgot about that freak Gameday. Double-header or something, and that's why our game is at noon?

Makes sense not to have Gameday for both games, though there's not much point in giving it to Georgetown. Gameday's gotten a little cheesy anyway, but a.) it's really lame for an off-campus arena, and b.) it loses some luster when the game isn't even played in primetime.

Might as well have it at the Dome for a 9:00 p.m. game.

Is that just a guess, cause I think they are doing UNC-Duke that day.

I remembered this oddity after Knicks mentioned it; they're both "Gameday" games, only our game is at noon. I guess they'll be shooting live from both Washington and Durham/Chapel Hill.

They should've just picked one.

Wiki is the best

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/College_GameDay_(basketball)#Appearances_by_school

We're tied for third in terms of times being the host. Only 2 schools have more, Kansas and Duke. I'm not sure if that list includes all the games already on the schedule, but if not, UNC and UK will pass us this year.

If we host UNC or Duke on a saturday next year, I'd bet that is a gameday game.

Here I thought Syracuse was being neglected at the expense of other schools.

We are, but so is everyone else. ESPN just sprinkles in the Butlers and Kansas States frequently enough that none of the big schools racks up that many appearances. How uncharacteristically egalitarian of them. I like it.

they're doing both; SU-Gtown at 11 and then they are going up to Carolina for the Carolina Duke game.
Didn't know that. How is that going to work logistically. The guys are going to fly to Chapel Hill after the Cuse game. Do they really expect the Georgetown students to get to the Verizon Center that early. Lots of questions but sounds half-assed to me.

I remembered this oddity after Knicks mentioned it; they're both "Gameday" games, only our game is at noon. I guess they'll be shooting live from both Washington and Durham/Chapel Hill.

They should've just picked one.

If they just picked one it wasn't gonna be our game. I assume it's just their nod to the fact that it will be the last BE game between the two schools and they wanted to recognize it in some way, but they're not picking anything over UNC-Duke. (this is where someone will point out a time they have to make me look like an idiot)

Didn't know that. How is that going to work logistically. The guys are going to fly to Chapel Hill after the Cuse game.

If I had to guess, they won't even stay for the game. Show ends at 12, then I assume they'll get on a plane. It's kinda weird, but like I said, I like it in this case

ESPN made such a big deal last year of the last Kansas-Missouri meeting you'd think they would have wanted to cover the last SU-GTown game. It's like they're ignoring it.

ESPN made such a big deal last year of the last Kansas-Missouri meeting you'd think they would have wanted to cover the last SU-GTown game. It's like they're ignoring it.

We've been talking about how they are doing Gameday for it.

On DUke-UNC, it looks like they get it every other year. I think they share it with CBS.

GameDay @ Gtown for 'Cuse game plus game @ Dome on CBS

Okay let me explain College Gameday to people ESPN pickups ALL the matchups and sites before the season except last year and this year they added 2 sites for them to flex and pick between last year the Duke@North Carolina and Kansas@Texas matchups were a flex and today's Louisville@Notre Dame matchup was flexed over Pittsburgh@Cincinnati matchup. ESPN was never going to go to the Dome for Georgetown@Syracuse even if it was a 1 vs. 2 matchup because ESPN chose its matchup before the season thus we can't complain because the decision was made in preseason. College Gameday for college basketball is completely different from football where they go to the best matchup regardless of the network covering the game for basketball they go the site where ESPN schedules the game for 9pm. Thus I have no complaints about college gameday not coming to the Dome for Georgetown because its a CBS game AND we have hosted Gameday 3 times 2005 Notre Dame break the record night, 2006 Louisville, 2010 Villanova break the record night again, and you can beat we will host next year probably when we host UNC because Duke@UNC will probably be a College Gameday game again next year to end the season.

The only thing I would add to the above post is that I don't think UNC Duke will be gameday next year; I think CBS and ESPN alternate getting the last UNC-Duke game, so next year it should be a CBS game

The only thing I would add to the above post is that I don't think UNC Duke will be gameday next year; I think CBS and ESPN alternate getting the last UNC-Duke game, so next year it should be a CBS game
ESPN owns the rights to all ACC games they aren't going to sell Duke-North Carolina to CBS unless they overpay for it. ESPN has farmed 3rd tier ACC games to FoxSportsSouth and to Raycom, but Duke-North Carolina will exclusively be on ESPN.

ESPN owns the rights to all ACC games they aren't going to sell Duke-North Carolina to CBS unless they overpay for it. ESPN has farmed 3rd tier ACC games to FoxSportsSouth and to Raycom, but Duke-North Carolina will exclusively be on ESPN.

Is that with the new tv contract? If so, then I take it back. But previously it seems like CBS had the second Duke-UNC game every other year. I remember they had one in 2011 in primetime, also the game in 09 when Henderson elbowed Hansbrough. But each of the last 2 years ESPN has had the last game, so I'm betting with the new TV contract that must be it. So i'm probably wrong

For christ's sake. There's are 9-10 "Gamedays" a year. We are part of it (just about) as much as anyone, whether at home or on the road. 6 times in 9 years.

They also try to spread things around. Each BCS conference has at least one game, with the BE and ACC receiving 2, and Butler-Gonzaga getting the remaining site.

It's meant to be a celebration of the game, not an annual lovefest for 3-4 teams.