espn insider article with su discussion | Syracusefan.com

espn insider article with su discussion

cuseclappy

Winner 2016 SU Football Season Prediction Contest
Back in August, barely two weeks before the start of the 2011 college football season, I spent the afternoon on the Syracuse campus and on the fields behind Manley Field House with the Orange at practice.

Right around the time it dawned on me, "Holy cow, these guys are young," I was invited to have a chat with Floyd Little, Syracuse's only three-time All-American at a single position. He rejoined his alma mater in spring 2011 as a special assistant to the athletic director.

I told him how much I had enjoyed his Pro Football Hall of Fame induction speech. An assistant coach overheard me and said, "You should have heard the one he gave us yesterday." Then I asked Little what he thought of the team in front of him.

"We're two years away," said the 69-year-old, looking at least 20 years younger. "We won eight games last year. Won a bowl game. Because of that, people are going to have maybe too-high expectations for 2011. But this year, we'll struggle a bit."

He talked about the youth on the field, the lack of depth and the uphill climb coach Doug Marrone, whom Little helped hire, faced in 2011, the third year of his program reconstruction project.

"I don't think people outside the program realized how much of a hole he was given to dig out of. Yeah, we'll struggle a bit this year. Not early, but likely in the second half of the season. Next year, though, next year we're finally going to start getting around that corner we've been trying to turn for so long."

Just as Little predicted, the Orange won five of their first seven, including a huge upset of 11th-ranked West Virginia. Then they lost five straight to end the year 5-7 and tied for last in the Big East. But all I heard as I watched them was "Next year, though, next year ..."

Throughout the nation, there are programs that enter a season knowing any short-term success is merely a bonus. Their fan bases might expect more, but, inside the coach's office, people know the Orange are going to have to take it on the chin for a season as they build toward the next. Last year, Syracuse knew it was one of those teams. This year, it will join its fans in believing the results should start coming now.

What teams do I foresee finally turning the proverbial corner? So glad you asked …

183.gif

Syracuse Orange

2011: 5-7
Past five years: 22-28
Strengths: Quarterback, offensive and defensive lines
Weaknesses: Receiving corps, linebackers

Far be it from me to disagree with a Hall of Famer, right?

To fully appreciate what Marrone has done at his alma mater, look no further than the record. He has won 17 games -- including a bowl game -- over three seasons. That's seven more than predecessor Greg Robinson won in the four years before Marrone arrived. Robinson's teams never made it to a bowl.

Now Marrone is entering the final season of what he calls the four-year cycle, when the shortcomings of the past should finally be purged. That cycle started in 2009 with the overhauling of everything from the offense to how practices are run. Now it should be coming to a close thanks to the first signs of actual roster depth, which will allow Marrone to finally start redshirting incoming freshmen, a crucial step toward looking and feeling like a real football program.

Nearly 30 Syracuse players on the current roster had to play as true freshman or first-year arrivals. This season, it should finally be able to start sitting guys and start stocking up on invaluable five-year players down the road.

And oh, by the way, that Big East schedule doesn't hurt, either.

Back in August, barely two weeks before the start of the 2011 college football season, I spent the afternoon on the Syracuse campus and on the fields behind Manley Field House with the Orange at practice.

Right around the time it dawned on me, "Holy cow, these guys are young," I was invited to have a chat with Floyd Little, Syracuse's only three-time All-American at a single position. He rejoined his alma mater in spring 2011 as a special assistant to the athletic director.

I told him how much I had enjoyed his Pro Football Hall of Fame induction speech. An assistant coach overheard me and said, "You should have heard the one he gave us yesterday." Then I asked Little what he thought of the team in front of him.

"We're two years away," said the 69-year-old, looking at least 20 years younger. "We won eight games last year. Won a bowl game. Because of that, people are going to have maybe too-high expectations for 2011. But this year, we'll struggle a bit."

He talked about the youth on the field, the lack of depth and the uphill climb coach Doug Marrone, whom Little helped hire, faced in 2011, the third year of his program reconstruction project.

"I don't think people outside the program realized how much of a hole he was given to dig out of. Yeah, we'll struggle a bit this year. Not early, but likely in the second half of the season. Next year, though, next year we're finally going to start getting around that corner we've been trying to turn for so long."

Just as Little predicted, the Orange won five of their first seven, including a huge upset of 11th-ranked West Virginia. Then they lost five straight to end the year 5-7 and tied for last in the Big East. But all I heard as I watched them was "Next year, though, next year ..."

Throughout the nation, there are programs that enter a season knowing any short-term success is merely a bonus. Their fan bases might expect more, but, inside the coach's office, people know the Orange are going to have to take it on the chin for a season as they build toward the next. Last year, Syracuse knew it was one of those teams. This year, it will join its fans in believing the results should start coming now.

What teams do I foresee finally turning the proverbial corner? So glad you asked …

183.gif

Syracuse Orange

2011: 5-7
Past five years: 22-28
Strengths: Quarterback, offensive and defensive lines
Weaknesses: Receiving corps, linebackers

Far be it from me to disagree with a Hall of Famer, right?

To fully appreciate what Marrone has done at his alma mater, look no further than the record. He has won 17 games -- including a bowl game -- over three seasons. That's seven more than predecessor Greg Robinson won in the four years before Marrone arrived. Robinson's teams never made it to a bowl.

Now Marrone is entering the final season of what he calls the four-year cycle, when the shortcomings of the past should finally be purged. That cycle started in 2009 with the overhauling of everything from the offense to how practices are run. Now it should be coming to a close thanks to the first signs of actual roster depth, which will allow Marrone to finally start redshirting incoming freshmen, a crucial step toward looking and feeling like a real football program.

Nearly 30 Syracuse players on the current roster had to play as true freshman or first-year arrivals. This season, it should finally be able to start sitting guys and start stocking up on invaluable five-year players down the road.

And oh, by the way, that Big East schedule doesn't hurt, either.

Nice write up.

I need to bring ole #44 with me to Vegas. I hope he is correct about '12 and '13. This is why I don't understand the let's play @FSU crowd. Not in '12...we have to rebuild still. We are close to turning this around. Remember his first class was small and lacked depth. That said if we schedule smartly we can have a solid chance at 7-8 wins this Fall.

I refuse to drink the preseason kool-ade this year. I am a pessimist until convinced otherwise..

I need to bring ole #44 with me to Vegas. I hope he is correct about '12 and '13. This is why I don't understand the let's play @FSU crowd. Not in '12...we have to rebuild still. We are close to turning this around. Remember his first class was small and lacked depth. That said if we schedule smartly we can have a solid chance at 7-8 wins this Fall.
7-5 baby, that is the trajectory.

I refuse to drink the preseason kool-ade this year. I am a pessimist until convinced otherwise..
I am slugging the kool aid down we win 9 games this year. Yeah I said it rip away

Floyd Little understood where our Program stood at the beginning of 2011.

I suspect that 2012 will be better but will still be difficult.

We are headed in the right direction.

Unless we have a significantly improved OL who can give a happy feet QB sufficient time to make his reads, said QB's accuracy takes a major jump, the running game doesn't take a drop off from last year, and the playcalling involves a consistent downfield threat, I see 5 maybe 6 wins max in 2012 with more ugly ball.

I put the chances of anything of those things actually occurring at less than 50%

Floyd Little was proved to be prophetic about the 2011. I'll trust his take on things for 2012 until he's proven wrong.

Unless we have a significantly improved OL who can give a happy feet QB sufficient time to make his reads, said QB's accuracy takes a major jump, the running game doesn't take a drop off from last year, and the playcalling involves a consistent downfield threat, I see 5 maybe 6 wins max in 2012 with more ugly ball.

I put the chances of anything of those things actually occurring at less than 50%

A new Right Tackle who may actually be able to block someone will be a hell of a start.

Nassib completed 62.4% of his passes last season. It's very possible his percentages will rise a few more points this year. But seriously, can any QB, especially not in a spread, be reasonably asked to complete anything more than two out of three passes?

The RB corps has two players who have shown flashes and two more who have been highly touted as recruits. If nothing else, at least there's options to run with this time around, instead of a 5'7" tailback on every single play.

The downfield threat? Well, we'll see.

I'm more concerned about the front seven not giving up a four or five yard gain every time the ball is run up the middle.

I'm much more concerned about the defense being able to get pressure on the ball and for the secondary to stay on their guys. Oh, and better tackling.

A new Right Tackle who may actually be able to block someone will be a hell of a start.

Nassib completed 62.4% of his passes last season. It's very possible his percentages will rise a few more points this year. But seriously, can any QB, especially not in a spread, be reasonably asked to complete anything more than two out of three passes?

The RB corps has two players who have shown flashes and two more who have been highly touted as recruits. If nothing else, at least there's options to run with this time around, instead of a 5'7" tailback on every single play.

The downfield threat? Well, we'll see.

I'm more concerned about the front seven not giving up a four or five yard gain every time the ball is run up the middle.

I'm much more concerned about the defense being able to get pressure on the ball and for the secondary to stay on their guys. Oh, and better tackling.

It's clear with the hires that DM put all of his chips on the D. He believes his O is functional and with an improved, more agressive D a la 2010, he can keep the scores close and eek out 2-3 more wins. I hope he's right but I believe the problems on O are too great for a good if not spectacular D to offset. I would think the run D has no where to go but up after last year but who knows.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom