ESPN layoffs | Syracusefan.com

ESPN layoffs

Alsacs

Living Legend
As a sports fan and Broadcast journalism major this stuff sucks to see.

ESPN has ruined what was successful and the costs and profits are causing good people to lose their jobs.

It sucks.
Thus far all the ESPN NHL writers, Titans reporter, Dana O'Neil and Ed Werder have been fired.

Karl Ravech, Hannah Storm, and Ryen Russello are having their roles significantly cut back.

As a ESPN hater because of Deflategate no pleasure should ever be taken for this stuff.

Last edited:

ESPN has ruined what was successful and the costs and profits are causing good people to lose their jobs.

It sucks.
Thus far all the ESPN NHL writers, Titans reporter, Dana O'Neil and Ed Werder have been fired.

Karl Ravech, Hannah Storm, and Ryen Russello are having their roles significantly cut back.

As a ESPN hater because of Deflategate no pleasure should ever be taken for this stuff.

It really is a joke what Espn has become, Sportscenter used to be my favorite show as a kid, I would watch it 5 times a day, it has become unwactchable, I don't even know what some of these shows are anymore. The worst is the svp sportscenter show.

Ethan Strauss covers the Warriors and was one of the best beat guys around as he gets laid off. All in on the opinionated garbage and they are out on legit reporting. Crappy.

Jaayson Stark and Trent Dilfer... I liked Stark but I don't watch enough NFL to have an opinion on Dilfer.

I like Dilfer a lot, he brings a lot to the table.
I was a big Dilfer fan as well.

I remember back before he was on ESPN he was doing SuperBowl Radio Row and was on TV with Mike and the Dog, he was a great interview and the end when they asked him for his prediction he said something to the effect of...' Im picking the Seahawks because Hasselbeck wears #8 and no QB who ever wore 8 has lost a SB'. for the next minute or so Mike & Dog tried to come up with the names...Aikman, Young and...and...and... so then Dilfer smiling goes...'Trent Dilfer, thanks guys!!' stood up, took off his headset and walked away. they just sat there dumbfounded but laughing hysterically.

it was great 'radio on the tv'.

soon after, he was hired for ESPN and I always thought was pretty good.

It sucks.

It's a really odd feeling for me. I barely watch any ESPN that isn't a sporting event. But growing up (I was born in '79), MTV and ESPN defined the cable TV boom for me. Both were a huge part of my formative years and now, seeing what's happening today, makes me nostalgic for the way it was (I know, I sound like an old guy sitting on my front lawn). Not that I want to go backwards, it just makes me remember the mornings I would watch like 2 or 3 episodes of SportsCenter.

ESPN is where I can tune into the political debate show that is First Take and then watch highlights/analysis of about 7 teams total on SportsCenter, followed off whatever it is Michael and Jamelle Hill do at 6 pm and then cap off the day with SVP's one man band.

...but continually laying off people should do the trick.

Even though Kanell tried to ruin it with his general awfulness I do enjoy Russillo's work. It's a shame his show is apparently done.

It sucks.

Did not realize you were a broadcast journalism major, not that I would have any reason to know. Lawyer now correct?

Did not realize you were a broadcast journalism major, not that I would have any reason to know. Lawyer now correct?
I interned at ESPN while I was a student at SU.
I interned at Politico while I was a student at SU.

I worked at Hill TV before the Forth story killed that station. That story is for another time.
I didn't like TV as much as I thought while at SU. So I flipped to Law my senior year.

A lot of Newhouse grads go to law school anyway. I got the credentials if I ever wanted to switch to journalism.

Another Cuse alum got the ax.

Dave O'Brien got fired. College basketball play by play and MLB announcer.

Another Cuse alum got the ax.

Dave O'Brien got fired. College basketball play by play and MLB announcer.

I think he still does the Red Sox broadcasts but that's a bit surprising since he did 2 sports and I thought was generally pretty good.

I think he still does the Red Sox broadcasts but that's a bit surprising since he did 2 sports and I thought was generally pretty good.
Yeah he is the Sox NESN broadcaster but he did college hoops and was the women's basketball lead announcer.

So I guess ESPN has moved to an NFL/NBA, SEC/ACC model with some baseball and a honorary mention of hockey here and there?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom