Espn may replace Brent Musberger with Chris Fowler(ugh) as lead broadcaster next year | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Espn may replace Brent Musberger with Chris Fowler(ugh) as lead broadcaster next year

Brad Nessler is actually probably my favorite next to Keith Jackson.
All football play-by-play guys should be told to study Keith Jackson. Learn from him without trying to copy him. Always did a great job of description without talking too much, offering opinion without trying to be a color guy, and asking relevant questions to the color guy.

Tim Brando just left CBS Sports after many years. I would not be surprised if he ends up somewhere at ESPN.

I believe brando is going to the new sec network that launches in august

Chip said:
How many analysts do the game and the sport's marquis pregame show that was practically made famous by going on site and making predictions about that game? Applying this situation to other sports makes little sense to me. Everyone has one role.
Joe Morgan would pick the big red machine everytime

Joe Morgan would pick the big red machine everytime

He was the worst. He somehow had a Billy Packer near lifetime contract.

Herbstreit often picks against Ohio State (including the Orange Bowl). Because of it, it got so bad for him living in Columbus that he moved to Nashville. He probably voted that he doesn't make picks on any game for the rest of his life because people are too creepy.

At least with Corso, he's basically a cartoon character in the later years of his life, which seems to give him a death threat waiver.

Brent is out as the lead PbP for Saturday night football. He was offered the lead PbP spot on the SEC network.
James Andrew Miller ‏@ESPNBook
Believe this will be Brent's last @espn game. If he stays w/@espn it will be as #1 PxP for new #SEC network. #BCSChampionship

Richard Deistch is reporting the two names to replace Brent are Rece Davis or Chris Fowler. I hope its Rece Davis I can't stand Fowler as a PbP guy and it would ruin Gameday to give him both the lead announcing spot and hosting College Gameday. I would give it Rece between the two.

Here is the news from Deistch. Its sucks that Musberger is gone from the Primetime games.

Last week ESPN president John Skipper announced a series of management moves that will have significant impact on how you view ESPN, as well as who you view on the network. For ESPN-ologists, media reporters, and those who work in Bristol, Skipper's memo was the apotheosis of corporate inside baseball. For the rest of you, what matters most is how this group will impact your sports viewing. That's where the name just below Skipper's comes in: John Wildhack, ESPN's executive vice president of programming and production.

Wildhack has added oversight for programming acquisitions, rights holder management and overall scheduling to his previous job, which means both the programming and production departments fall under his umbrella. He is the top decision-maker not named Skipper, who will be deciding ESPN's college football plans next season, and his company is currently contemplating some game-changing talent moves. The catalyst for change: Longtime announcer Brent Musburger turns 75 in May and his current broadcast contract ends three months later.

After speaking with more than a half-dozen television executives and on-air college football staffers on the topic (from inside and outside ESPN) over the last couple of weeks, here is what I have surmised.

• As first reported by James Andrew Miller, Musburger has been offered the job of lead college football announcer for the upcoming SEC Network, which debuts at the end of August. It is unclear whether Musburger will take that offer, as some sources I spoke with noted he is unhappy with how the process is shaking out. What seems clear is that Musburger is being pulled from the lead announcer spot for ABC's Saturday Night Football, which is ESPN's top game each week. (Musburger, via ESPN PR, turned down an interview request from SI.com. "He isn't doing any interviews on the subject," said an ESPN spokesperson.)

As I've written previously, I think Musburger's performance during Florida State's win over Auburn in the BCS title game, as well as his performance over the last couple of years has earned him at least one of those playoff games. That, alas, is unlikely to happen.

• College GameDay host Chris Fowler is the leading candidate to call ABC's Saturday Night Football game as well as next year's national championship game with Kirk Herbstreit. (The Big Lead's Jason McIntyre reported on the possibility of Fowler getting the top job last month). He and Herbstreit would also call one of the semifinal games under this scenario. Fowler's contract expires after the World Cup in July -- a key leverage point for Fowler -- and it was not hard to read between the lines what he wanted when I spoke to him a couple of months ago on his ESPN future. "I don't think it is anything secret internally what I want the next for me to be at ESPN," Fowler said. "I don't think that is a mystery given the landscape. It's why GameDay is a unique standalone thing for me. It doesn't act or feel like a studio show. But the live events are the most inspiring, unexplored thing for me. I really have a passion to document live events as they happen. Hosting is wonderful and remains really satisfying but the joy for me is calling big matches"

Here is the stuff Deitsch

Last week ESPN president John Skipper announced a series of management moves that will have significant impact on how you view ESPN, as well as who you view on the network. For ESPN-ologists, media reporters, and those who work in Bristol, Skipper's memo was the apotheosis of corporate inside baseball. For the rest of you, what matters most is how this group will impact your sports viewing. That's where the name just below Skipper's comes in: John Wildhack, ESPN's executive vice president of programming and production.

Wildhack has added oversight for programming acquisitions, rights holder management and overall scheduling to his previous job, which means both the programming and production departments fall under his umbrella. He is the top decision-maker not named Skipper, who will be deciding ESPN's college football plans next season, and his company is currently contemplating some game-changing talent moves. The catalyst for change: Longtime announcer Brent Musburger turns 75 in May and his current broadcast contract ends three months later.

After speaking with more than a half-dozen television executives and on-air college football staffers on the topic (from inside and outside ESPN) over the last couple of weeks, here is what I have surmised.

• As first reported by James Andrew Miller, Musburger has been offered the job of lead college football announcer for the upcoming SEC Network, which debuts at the end of August. It is unclear whether Musburger will take that offer, as some sources I spoke with noted he is unhappy with how the process is shaking out. What seems clear is that Musburger is being pulled from the lead announcer spot for ABC's Saturday Night Football, which is ESPN's top game each week. (Musburger, via ESPN PR, turned down an interview request from SI.com. "He isn't doing any interviews on the subject," said an ESPN spokesperson.)

As I've written previously, I think Musburger's performance during Florida State's win over Auburn in the BCS title game, as well as his performance over the last couple of years has earned him at least one of those playoff games. That, alas, is unlikely to happen.

• College GameDay host Chris Fowler is the leading candidate to call ABC's Saturday Night Football game as well as next year's national championship game with Kirk Herbstreit. (The Big Lead's Jason McIntyre reported on the possibility of Fowler getting the top job last month). He and Herbstreit would also call one of the semifinal games under this scenario. Fowler's contract expires after the World Cup in July -- a key leverage point for Fowler -- and it was not hard to read between the lines what he wanted when I spoke to him a couple of months ago on his ESPN future. "I don't think it is anything secret internally what I want the next for me to be at ESPN," Fowler said. "I don't think that is a mystery given the landscape. It's why GameDay is a unique standalone thing for me. It doesn't act or feel like a studio show. But the live events are the most inspiring, unexplored thing for me. I really have a passion to document live events as they happen. Hosting is wonderful and remains really satisfying but the joy for me is calling big matches"

There are a couple of catches: Some in ESPN management do not want Fowler to host both GameDay and call a college football game the same night. Herbstreit performs the double as an analyst, but Fowler's responsibility on GameDay are much more demanding than Herbstreit's.

Also, there is the business element. College GameDay is a profitable and marketing behemoth -- one of the most successful things ESPN has ever done -- and there are some who believe changing the talent setup poses significant risks.

• Rece Davis, who currently calls ESPN's Thursday Night Football, is also a candidate for the Musburger spot. His contract is coming up as well, so he has leverage with the network given that he has been an A-plus level performer (and considered a loyal company guy) for many years. If Fowler leaves College GameDay for the ABC announcing role only, Davis is a lock to take over College GameDay. If Fowler does both GameDay and the lead game with Herbstreit, I'd expect Davis to stay with Thursday Night Football. Worth noting is there is also a faction who believe Davis or Joe Tessitore is the better pure college football gamecaller than Fowler. The good news for ESPN is all candidates are excellent and Herbstreit will help ease any transition given his professionalism and preparation.

Read More: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/mo...er-davis-musburger-nfl-network/#ixzz2qyVkf8Po