ESPN Offseason spotlight: Syracuse | Syracusefan.com

ESPN Offseason spotlight: Syracuse

I'm pretty excited to see what our DL produces this year. Bromley will be a loss, no question.

But returning three out of four starters is cause for optimism. And between Johnson, Thompson, Simmons, and the frosh + Wayne Williams, I'm quite confident that we're going to be able to cobble together nice depth / athleticism at the position.

DL should be an area of strength again for the 'Cuse in 2014.

I'm pretty excited to see what our DL produces this year. Bromley will be a loss, no question.

But returning three out of four starters is cause for optimism. And between Johnson, Thompson, Simmons, and the frosh + Wayne Williams, I'm quite confident that we're going to be able to cobble together nice depth / athleticism at the position.

DL should be an area of strength again for the 'Cuse in 2014.
I think Wayne Williams is the X factor to how good it will be. If donnie Simmons is anywhere near as good as Shafer talked him up, that would be great, too.

I think Wayne Williams is the X factor to how good it will be. If donnie Simmons is anywhere near as good as Shafer talked him up, that would be great, too.
I know it's a long shot, but I hope that Raymon works his way back sooner rather than later. The guy deserves to have something positive happen for him.

i agree i think we will be fine at DL i kinda thought they spotlight the secondary unit

A couple of tidbits that I've heard about the DL from within the program...

WW is shell shocked right now at what it takes to be a part of a collegiate program, but, he's got a great attitude and working to get better everyday. The talent is there but he's got a long road ahead of him to get where he needs to be. Am I saying he won't be on the two- deep this year? No, and I wouldn't know that anyway, but he might take more time to become seasoned than thrown around here.

Donnie Simmons will be ready to go. The staff was very high on him and most likely we don't see a lot of Rob last year if he stays healthy. I think Donnie will be impressive from an athleticism standpoint and will be hard to keep off the field for both of our other two starting DE's. I was put under the impression that he's basically ready to compete now so I don't think we need to worry about it dragging through the Spring. But, you never know.

Speaking of Rob, they love the kid. Thought he was somebody who would never see the field at Syracuse. But, through some circumstances and years of hard work, great dedication and a great attitude he's earned himself opportunity. High character young man.

High praise for Crumey, he's the anchor.

Slayton drawing Chan comparisons from the staff. I can understand from a measurable standpoint.

A lot of this stuff has been mentioned on the board. Just wanted to pass along some stuff that I had heard.

There's also some negatives within the position group, but, everybody is there everyday working to get better.

I'm very interested to see where Jalen Harvey stands once the season kicks off. Looks like he already has the size and is from a region known to produce quality d lineman.

And the easily forgotten Marcus Coleman. Doesn't appear to have the size that usual DT's have. However, I'm sure he sees the opportunity to play. I think he and Ryan Sloan have a chance to prove themselves this spring. Make or break for them both.

One of the better articles by her.
We are sure looking pretty darn good at DE and Crume's play should take another step up.

Got to think between the below the odds are at least one of these things occurs but hopefully more.
1. Thompson or Isaiah switching to DT and making an impact
2. At least one of the Freshman stepping up
3. Raymon making it back to play
4. Wayne Williams getting his but in shape to play and learning the play book.

I wonder if they consider moving Micah Robinson to Tackle-he's pretty big and would give the DT some athleticism.

I'd like to see Simmons win the DE job in the Spring. He could add some athleticism at the position, and give us a chance for more explosive plays.

I wonder if they consider moving Micah Robinson to Tackle-he's pretty big and would give the DT some athleticism.

I think they're going to have to. Either he or Welsh. I think each have played inside at some point in their SU careers. Looks like we could have at least 5 DEs ready to go, but tackle depth is scary. Need 4 guys minimum ready to play. If Raymon and Williams won't be ready (for different reasons), that's going to be an issue.

I think they're going to have to. Either he or Welsh. I think each have played inside at some point in their SU careers. Looks like we could have at least 5 DEs ready to go, but tackle depth is scary. Need 4 guys minimum ready to play. If Raymon and Williams won't be ready (for different reasons), that's going to be an issue.
And it's plausible that neither may be ready... Raymon's injury is going to be a difficult obstacle. By the time his leg is ready to be tested and worked hard it's going to take him that much longer to get back up to speed. But WW being a 2-to play-2 guy may have to be forced into early action bc of depth, nothing I heard, just speculating.

Finwad32 any Raymon report?
The only thing I've heard is it's going to take time, both from a healing standpoint and then from a work standpoint. That's not even taking into consideration the mental aspect of an injury like that.

I'm very interested to see where Jalen Harvey stands once the season kicks off. Looks like he already has the size and is from a region known to produce quality d lineman.

And the easily forgotten Marcus Coleman. Doesn't appear to have the size that usual DT's have. However, I'm sure he sees the opportunity to play. I think he and Ryan Sloan have a chance to prove themselves this spring. Make or break for them both.
Hoping that Sloan, with a combo of size and experience will be a real factor this year

What happened to Trevon Trejo? Is he working with the DE or DL group? Is eh still there?

There's also some negatives within the position group, but, everybody is there everyday working to get better.

Dude...awesome post! Hoping to coax you into elaborating on the last line. The good can't be good without knowing the bad...just saying...

Can't help but wonder where this glowing spotlight courtesy of Ms. Adelson disappears to once football season (or recruiting seasaon for that matter) is upon us?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom