ESPN says UConn committed to BE tonight | Syracusefan.com

ESPN says UConn committed to BE tonight

rrlbees

Have you donated to an SU NIL collective?
Staff member
until they get an invite (my words).

It takes 8 teams for a League to maintain it's BCS status. IF TCU stays they need to add a school. I wonder if Navy is still in play.

UConn's athletic director wasn't there. Instead, they sent an "official". That is, unless they changed the plan last second.

I think UConn has at least plausible deniability and definitely is looking elsewhere.

Not much we can do at this point. Commit to the Big East. Flirt with the ACC and to a lesser extent, the Big 10. Wait for the next dominoes to fall and hope that 16 is the number.

UConn's athletic director wasn't there. Instead, they sent an "official". That is, unless they changed the plan last second.

I think UConn has at least plausible deniability and definitely is looking elsewhere.
Does UConn even have an athletic director? Hathaway was "retired" in August. I can't find anything about them hiring a replacement.

The timing of all this is horrible for UConn. Their president, Susan Herbst, has been on the job less than a year. Herbst was an undergrad at Duke and taught at Georgia Tech, so they have some connections there. Her brother, BTW, is president of Colgate University...

UConn doesn't have an AD right now. Great time to be understaffed.

Oh yeah, the Providence mafia is happy now. UConn committed! They're probably the only people that think that commitment is rock solid.

It takes 8 teams for a League to maintain it's BCS status. IF TCU stays they need to add a school. I wonder if Navy is still in play.
UCF (no wait, USF will block that again), ECU, Memphis or 'Nova would do it unless the Big XII-II-I breaks up.

They will keep Pitt & Syracuse around until this is settled. :-(

They should tell USF to suck it up and add UCF.

UConn has an interim AD, Paul Pendergast, who spent a long time in their athetic dept in fundraising before he left a few years back to run a hospital in CT. From all accounts he's a sharp guy with good relationships, and many expect him to get the full-time gig. So while their situation is far from ideal, it could be worse.

The "committment" is silly. Of course every school is going to say they'd "like" to keep the BE intact. But every single school represented in that room would leave tomorrow if a better offer came along.

It's like the old saying goes: a man is ony as faithful as his options.

The thing is, what school will want to make the switch (ala TCU) knowing that at any moment the whole thing could fall apart? Maybe the lure of Big East Basketballl draws them in. Or maybe the "easy" road to a BCS bid (assuming the Big East can maintain it's bid without pressure from another Conference).

UCF (no wait, USF will block that again), ECU, Memphis or 'Nova would do it unless the Big XII-II-I breaks up.

They will keep Pitt & Syracuse around until this is settled. :-(

I think they will eventually add ECU just to have a presence in the heart of ACC land.

It looks like the ESPN report was wrong. Check out the Boneyard.

"We are committed to the Big East, until our ship comes in."

"Please know that we will always do what is in the best interests for the University of Connecticut" -- UCONN president Susan Herbst

Oh my, won't those folks at Notre Dame take affront to such callous self-interest?!

:bat:

UConn's athletic director wasn't there.

LOL he was on his knees in Greensboro

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors