ESPN Snippet for Those Who Bet on Our Game | Syracusefan.com

ESPN Snippet for Those Who Bet on Our Game

IthacaMatt

Old Timer / Unofficial Contributor for 25+ years
We got this nice little call out in this morning's recap of Saturday's college football highlights:

Big bets and bad beats​

If you had the under in the Purdue-Syracuse game, you were feeling pretty good at the half. The total closed at 59.5. The game went to the break with Purdue nursing a 9-3 lead.

Even after the third quarter, the scoring was still in short supply. But in the fourth, that's when things got weird.

Purdue scored with 11:25 to play to take a 15-10 lead. Then Syracuse scored. Then Purdue threw a pick-six. Then the Boilermakers completed a 55-yard touchdown throw and found the end zone again on their next drive, taking a 29-25 lead with just 51 seconds to play.

Still, the under would cover if Purdue could keep Syracuse out of the end zone.

Alas, it wasn't meant to be. Two penalties after Purdue's touchdown gave Syracuse excellent field position for its final drive, and Garrett Shrader connected with Oronde Gadsden II for a 25-yard TD with 7 seconds to go.

Final score: Orange 32, Purdue 29. The over hit after 42 points were scored in the final quarter.

Oh, and if you also had Purdue plus-1.5 -- good luck recovering from this one.

It’s funny, the PI call looked bad in real time and I thought it was wrong. Then you watch the replay and realize that the ball was pretty close and the call was actually a good one. I think the live camera angle played some tricks on the eyes.
It must have, because in the Dome, it was blatant.

Also, unless it was changed, a pass being uncatchable does not waive off PI in college.

It’s funny, the PI call looked bad in real time and I thought it was wrong. Then you watch the replay and realize that the ball was pretty close and the call was actually a good one. I think the live camera angle played some tricks on the eyes.

Whenever the ball lands out of bounds, it looks like a bad throw.

But when you look at where the WR would have been when that throw actually crosses the out of bounds plane, and why he wasn't there, it makes a lot more sense. And you can only get it from replay.

Also, unless it was changed, a pass being uncatchable does not waive off PI in college.
Defensive pass interference is contact beyond the neutral zone by a Team B player whose intent to impede an eligible opponent is obvious and could prevent the opponent the opportunity of receiving a catchable forward pass. When in question, a legal forward pass is catchable. Defensive pass interference occurs only after a legal forward pass is thrown.

if its in doubt its catchable.. so it needs to be a pretty wild throw.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom