ESPN Story - Friend of hoaxer says Manti Te'o not involved | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

ESPN Story - Friend of hoaxer says Manti Te'o not involved

If people can be duped with that whole Prince of Nigeria email scam (and it does happen)

I'm guessing not too many ND grads are duped by the Prince of Nigeria

Suppose he really was duped and then just told a bunch of stupid lies to cover for his stupid stupidness... what's the angle on all this? What is the motivation for the duper? Make some money from him after he signs with a pro team? Still gotta produce a girl at some point, right? And what happens when it's not the girl in the pictures? Why run a prank for several years?

His father's involvement and comments is what really makes me question everything...

I think both were in on it in some manner.

I'm guessing not too many ND grads are duped by the Prince of Nigeria

And I'm guessing not too many smart, wealthy people get duped by investment scams...oh wait...

Just because someone is smart or has a degree from a respected school, it doesn't mean they have common sense.

Yeah, he finds out his GF died - and he was just like, oh, ****, that sucks, got a game, DONE. How would this thing wrap up without him knowing/figuring out what's up.

He never wanted to Skype or FaceTime with her? There's no way he's a victim in this.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

"She" could have told him that she doesn't have a webcam for skyping, and doesn't have an iphone and can't do facetime.
Who knows? Or if he ever wanted to meet her, she could make up some excuse or even in the hospital tell him "I don't want you to see me this way" or whatever.

I can see where he could have been duped...that realm of possibility remains open for me, though I still really believe that he was in on it.

Yeah, he finds out his GF died - and he was just like, oh, ****, that sucks, got a game, DONE. How would this thing wrap up without him knowing/figuring out what's up.

Hey, he got two picks in that game! Two!

Not buying all this wagon circling trying to figure out the best story to spin.

He told ND on 12/26 and ND did an investigation and knew he was a victim. That's why 3 weeks later there was a leukemia benefit in the girls name run by a ND alum and the school put video of it on their youtube channel.

All Manti and ND are doing now and why he isn't talking is trying to find the best way out of this. Lots of $$$$$ will exchange hands that we'll never hear about.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Yeah, unfortunately, the longer they take to speak the less likely we are to hear the real truth. Unless they come up some huge whopper, I'll always believe what I currently believe.

All Manti and ND are doing now and why he isn't talking is trying to find the best way out of this. Lots of $$$$$ will exchange hands that we'll never hear about.

They might be thinking that eventually no one will care and it will be moved to the backburner when the next barnburner hits. Lance Armstrong interview with Oprah already took some of the spotlight off.

All in all, I don't think it really matters what he says in a statement. People already have their minds made up. Can't wait to see which NFL team ends up drafting him and how bad their fans react to him.

This whole thing in a very small way reminds me of the Kim Kardashian/Kris Humphries courtship/marriage. I always felt that was a sham in some manner. However, people blame Humphries for the reason that marriage didn't work out. People, including Nets fans, booed him everything time he touched the ball. I'm not sure he did anything wrong, short of being a bit dumb between the eyes.

Te'o did an off-camara interview with ESPN today that should be up on the website soon.

Te'o did an off-camara interview with ESPN today that should be up on the website soon.
This will clear everything up and he will answer all of the question about the inconsistencies in his story... Sure

The fact he isn't doing an on camera interview proves that his handlers don't believe he can tell a convincing story. This kid was in the spotlight all season long. He can't use the excuse that he's uncomfortable on TV.

How can we be sure it's actually Te'o?

Nuclear-Mind-Blown.jpg

My best theory at this point...

Te'o became friends with an online girl he thought was really attractive. They clicked despite never meeting. He began to embellish the online relationship, with friends, family, teammates, ignoring the fact that she always had an excuse to not actually see him. Perhaps to him these excuses were plausible considering their distance, his schedule and her illness. And as someone said above she could say she didn't have an iphone or a cam. Maybe he would ask for other pics and she came up with an excuse for that too. It's possible Te'o was so happy to have someone he liked that he didn't want to rock the boat. Ignorance is bliss.

But even if this is true and Te'o is just a naive Mormon dope who doesn't understand that a real relationship involves more than texts and facebook, he still lied his ass off. He made up several stories to glamorize his online relationship. Hey it's fine to tell a tall tale to teammates or friends, maybe even embellish it to family. But when you start making up stories that are going to run in SI, etc... you have entered into sociopathic narcissist territory. I believe he may have believed some of the things he said because he WANTED to believe them. The alternative would be to face the fact that he was a complete boob and had been totally hustled. Deep down he had to know that if you have never met a girl, her family, held her damn hand or exchanged some recent pics with her, she probably isn't who she says she is. I'm sure every internet chat room is populated by 99% mutants who say they are supermodels. By the time he realized this he was up crick.

He wanted attention for dating this beautiful Polynesian girl. And he got it. When she "passed" he wanted more attention. There is no question there were grumblings in the locker room about the realness and depth of the relationship. Te'o is an attention whore (according to an unnamed teammate). I'm sure his teammates, only one of whom I can name (Gholston? is he real?) really enjoyed his over-blown gf story that detracted from the things they were accomplishing on the field.

Te'o may be a naive, trusting, boob who has never been in a real relationship and got catfished. I'm not sure. But he is without question a liar of epic proportions. We all know guys like this. One day they say they are trying out for the NFL, the next they say they are banging a model, when really they are just some clown from your town who creates an alternative reality to cope with being a nobody. Only Te'o IS going to the NFL and COULD bang a model. To me it sounds like he didn't need to lie, he had to. Sociopathic narcissism.

Not buying all this wagon circling trying to figure out the best story to spin.

He told ND on 12/26 and ND did an investigation and knew he was a victim. That's why 3 weeks later there was a leukemia benefit in the girls name run by a ND alum and the school put video of it on their youtube channel.

not to say you are wrong or right, but why did Te'o do it? to get him the heisman? so he crafted this story of dating the girl beginning in 2009 (well before he was ever a heisman candidate or even in the national spotlight), with the thought to "kill her off" 3 years later, a point in time he had no guarantee he would be in the national spotlight? <-- very smart kid if that is the case

also, he "killed her" off during the michigan game, 3rd game of the season, even before he was a heisman candidate, knowing that this would help him win the heisman (even though he was not even considered a candidate at the time). also, te'o said to himself, well my grandmother just died, but that isn't enough for fame, so i will kill off my girlfriend? <--

also, do you really think swarbrick would come out and speak on behalf of ND, in defense of Te'o unless he, and the school, were 100% sure or 100% believe Te'o after all the negative publicity ND has received in "covering up" Lizzy Seeberg and Declan Sullivan? Please note I believe from following the Lizzy Seeberg case, there was no evidence of rape, and i believe she told her friends the football player stopped (touching her breast) when asked.

not to say you are wrong or right, but why did Te'o do it? to get him the heisman? so he crafted this story of dating the girl beginning in 2009 (well before he was ever a heisman candidate or even in the national spotlight), with the thought to "kill her off" 3 years later, a point in time he had no guarantee he would be in the national spotlight? <-- very smart kid if that is the case

also, he "killed her" off during the michigan game, 3rd game of the season, even before he was a heisman candidate, knowing that this would help him win the heisman (even though he was not even considered a candidate at the time). also, te'o said to himself, well my grandmother just died, but that isn't enough for fame, so i will kill off my girlfriend? <--

also, do you really think swarbrick would come out and speak on behalf of ND, in defense of Te'o unless he, and the school, were 100% sure or 100% believe Te'o after all the negative publicity ND has received in "covering up" Lizzy Seeberg and Declan Sullivan? Please note I believe from following the Lizzy Seeberg case, there was no evidence of rape, and i believe she told her friends the football player stopped (touching her breast) when asked.

He says it began im 2009. There is no timeline that says so. And yes, I believe swarbrick would lie and cover up.

He says it began im 2009. There is no timeline that says so. And yes, I believe swarbrick would lie and cover up.

and all for the gains of fame? why "kill her" the 3rd week then when he was still under the radar? he wasn't event in consideration for the heisman until several weeks later. and why do it immediately after your grandmother passes away?

i believe the social media connections and te'o's friends allude to the fact the relationship was ongoing for a while. i might be wrong

i think your hatred for ND overshadows your rationalism. talk to anyone associated with ND. the school is extremely conservative about their PR right now due to the ongoing negative media. i highly doubt swarbrick would be allowed to make the statement unless they believe te'o 100%. i could be wrong though, but i doubt ND is that arrogant. institutions of high/highest prestige are very risk averse in these situations. this isn't a game about athletics and heisman and awards, it is their academic reputation they just put on the line

watch the interview. i think schaap came in thinking there is no way this story was believeable, and left believing te'o may actually be that gulliable

it's probable te'o embellished a little, what 21 hasn't or wouldn't with an embarrassing story like this? but i dont believe it is to the level you and others insinuate.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
newmom4503

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom