ESPN Top 100 for 2020 is Out | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

ESPN Top 100 for 2020 is Out

There’s only like twelve commits so far in the top 100.

That's not my point. My point was Gonzaga has TWO Top 60 recruits already. We have struggled to get anyone of that caliber over the last 3 recruiting cycles.

That's not my point. My point was Gonzaga has TWO Top 60 recruits already. We have struggled to get anyone of that caliber over the last 3 recruiting cycles.

If your talking about getting guys of that caliber to commit early, well weve never done that too much. If you’re talking about overall I mean that’s right where Jalen Carey was.

If your talking about getting guys of that caliber to commit early, well weve never done that too much. If you’re talking about overall I mean that’s right where Jalen Carey was.

We've never done that much? Are you kidding me?

Dion Waiters was committed as a freshman in HS. Michael Carter Williams as a sophomore. Malachi Richardson was an early commit. There are a ton of these examples.

We have not done it recently, yes. And that is my point.

We've never done that much? Are you kidding me?

Dion Waiters was committed as a freshman in HS. Michael Carter Williams as a sophomore. Malachi Richardson was an early commit. There are a ton of these examples.

We have not done it recently, yes. And that is my point.

FFS I’m talking about getting guys to commit early who are highly regarded (five star, top 60, McDonald’s AA however you want to define it.)

MCW was just inside the top 100. He didn’t blow up until after he committed.

Richardson committed in December of 2013 his Junior year so not really early.

Waiters committed early his sophomore year July 2007 I think so yeah.

FFS I’m talking about getting guys to commit early who are highly regarded (five star, top 60, McDonald’s AA however you want to define it.)

MCW was just inside the top 100. He didn’t blow up until after he committed.

Richardson committed in December of 2013 his Junior year so not really early.

Waiters committed early his sophomore year July 2007 I think so yeah.

All three of my examples were McDonalds All-Americans. How much more highly regarded do you need?

Also, the only three kids in the last three years we have had committed before the end of his junior year were Moyer (since gone), Boeheim (could have committed out of the womb) and Goodine.

Every other kid was summer before senior year or later. Battle, Brissett, Sidibe, Guerrier, Girard, Bol Ajak...

Prior to that, Richardson & Lydon both committed before their junior years. And a ton of our top guys have, before they have blown up. That’s the point. And it’s worrisome we are struggling to do this when other programs are capable.

Collier is underrated; much better than 65.

I don't think we're getting Cottrell.

Would like to see us go hard after Patterson.
He was my gut reaction too...Collier way too low.

We got Bazley last recruiting cycle...

I honestly don’t understand your point.

He didn't even show up on campus. Never played a game. That's like saying we "got" Winfred Walton, or Maryland "got" Moses Malone. Doesn't count if they don't even show up on campus. Is it fair? Maybe, maybe not. But it doesn't count. Sorry.

He didn't even show up on campus. Never played a game. That's like saying we "got" Winfred Walton, or Maryland "got" Moses Malone. Doesn't count if they don't even show up on campus. Is it fair? Maybe, maybe not. But it doesn't count. Sorry.
That has zero to do with whether we were able to land him as a recruit. He didn’t sign with another school. This is just a really dumb way to look at the world and I’m not going to continue with you.

100% disagree. It absolutely counts. If you recruited a kid and he committed, you got him. You beat out other schools for that commitment. Whther he actually plays is another story altogether. Granted, Bazely is a case in uncharted waters, but the coaches got that commitment. They can't help who whispers in the kid's ear.

I'm going to assume SUfan44 doesn't think Guerrier is top 60 because Rivals didn't rank him even though he was 4 stars and ESPN didn't scout him at all. Cherry picking data here.

I'm going to assume SUfan44 doesn't think Guerrier is top 60 because Rivals didn't rank him even though he was 4 stars and ESPN didn't scout him at all. Cherry picking data here.
And Jalen Carey I think was top 40 on espn so I have no idea what this dude is saying

And Jalen Carey I think was top 40 on espn so I have no idea what this dude is saying

LOL. Go back and re-read my posts. I said we have been very bad at getting high-quality recruits early over the last 3 years. And prior to that, a lot of our better players have committed early.

The conversation has devolved a little bit, but that was the crux of my point.

And I stick by my statement that we have had a difficult time recruiting top players that we target over the last 3 years. Continue to count Bazley if you wish, but his impact on the program is/was ZERO.

100% disagree. It absolutely counts. If you recruited a kid and he committed, you got him. You beat out other schools for that commitment. Whther he actually plays is another story altogether. Granted, Bazely is a case in uncharted waters, but the coaches got that commitment. They can't help who whispers in the kid's ear.

Disagree with this completely. Kid got bad advice, but there are plenty of other kids who have received bad advise. Yet other schools have managed to keep their commitments.

In my opinion, placing 100% of the blame on the situation that unfolded on Bazley's side is a bit naive.

LOL. Go back and re-read my posts. I said we have been very bad at getting high-quality recruits early over the last 3 years. And prior to that, a lot of our better players have committed early.

And I stick by my statement that we have had a difficult time recruiting top players that we target over the last 3 years. Continue to count Bazley if you wish, but his impact on the program is/was ZERO.

Besides big men we signed all our main targets THIS year. You may not like the country they played in or their ranking, but we signed our main targets in 2019.

Disagree with this completely. Kid got bad advice, but there are plenty of other kids who have received bad advise. Yet other schools have managed to keep their commitments.

In my opinion, placing 100% of the blame on the situation that unfolded on Bazley's side is a bit naive.
Then we agree to disagree. Your post said you couldn't count commits who didn't make it here. I said you can.

All three of my examples were McDonalds All-Americans. How much more highly regarded do you need?

Also, the only three kids in the last three years we have had committed before the end of his junior year were Moyer (since gone), Boeheim (could have committed out of the womb) and Goodine.

Every other kid was summer before senior year or later. Battle, Brissett, Sidibe, Guerrier, Girard, Bol Ajak...

Prior to that, Richardson & Lydon both committed before their junior years. And a ton of our top guys have, before they have blown up. That’s the point. And it’s worrisome we are struggling to do this when other programs are capable.

This is very pedantic and i don’t know why I’m responding but i just want to point out that Waiters wasn’t a McDonald’s all American, and Lydon and Richardson commuted in the fall/winter of 2013 ie their Junior Year.

This is very pedantic and i don’t know why I’m responding but i just want to point out that Waiters wasn’t a McDonald’s all American, and Lydon and Richardson commuted in the fall/winter of 2013 ie their Junior Year.

Waiters was a Top 15 recruit. He was better than half the McDonald's All-Americans that were selected.

And yes, Lydon & Richardson recruited early. 2017, 2018, 2019 recruiting classes have all been late - minus Goodine, who I think could be a very good player.

My point to all of this is that Syracuse has, in the past, been one of the schools who have received commitments from top kids early -- similar to Gonzaga this year. Also, it's not a coincidence - at least I don't think it is - that our recruiting has suffered as a result.

Besides big men we signed all our main targets THIS year. You may not like the country they played in or their ranking, but we signed our main targets in 2019.

Guerrier -- yes, top recruit. Yes, we got him. Hope he is a stud. Hope Brissett turns out to be more like his freshman year and less like his sophomore year, too.

Goodine -- yes, early priority recruit. And he's the guy that I think is more in line with the rest of our recruits in past. Very happy about him.

Girard -- was he a top recruit? We offered very late. Scottie Lewis & Bryan Antoine were priority recruits at one time, too. Think this one might be revisionist's history a little bit. At the end we wanted him, for sure.

To not count big guys in this argument is a bit like saying half our team is good and the other doesn't count (which if that was the case, we'd have done a lot better the last few years).

Then hasn't every school been bad at landing high quality recruits over the last few years? Kids committing early is the exception anymore, not the norm.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom