ESPN... | Syracusefan.com

ESPN...

Shotclock

Walk On
For two days they had the headline on their front page about our two suspended players. We just whooped WVU and theres not even a mention on the front page. Anywhere. And I turn on Sportcenter and after the highlights they spend 5 minutes on Geno Smith. Ummmm..

I found this article but the fact that I had to go to the college football page puzzled me. Why no EPSN love?

Notice that the first 20 seconds of the video is about the Nassib sack. ;)

The lead-in into halftime of the Texas game was all about how Geno had a bad day... But no mention of why or who he was playing.

They have pretty much pumped (pimped?) Smith all season long. Had to laugh when they were making excuses for his temper tantrum after the second safety. "This game really means a lot to him". He played like doo doo, and to be honest without Austin and Bailey taking passes behind the line of scrimmage and making big plays his yardage totals are suspect. He made a couple of nice passes across the field and you would think he's Peyton Manning.

The SC highlights this morning on the Sunday SC were more Cuse focused. Lots of PTG. Just showed Geno getting snuffed out in the endzone then sitting on the bench shellshocked.

The recap that has been showing on sportcentre where I am, Toronto, has been just three plays long. Both Bailey TD's and then the trip sack. No mention of a single Cuse player or how the defence (along with the weather) stifled Smith. Just mentioned how he had a poor day and then the final score. You would think the closest FBS program to the GTA would get a little more love.

The recap that has been showing on sportcentre where I am, Toronto, has been just three plays long. Both Bailey TD's and then the trip sack. No mention of a single Cuse player or how the defence (along with the weather) stifled Smith. Just mentioned how he had a poor day and then the final score. You would think the closest FBS program to the GTA would get a little more love.

They showed Bailey's TDs? Are you currently a companion of someone named "The Doctor"? ;)

Why should we care if ESPN gives us no love? Confused...

Why should we care if ESPN gives us no love? Confused...

Perception. Like the star system, it doesn't change anything about our team but it does affect perception. More positive pub, while not necessary, can only help with recruiting and winning the fan base back over.

Perception. Like the star system, it doesn't change anything about our team but it does affect perception. More positive pub, while not necessary, can only help with recruiting and winning the fan base back over.

It means nothing for recruiting. Winning means everything for recruiting. Thats it. My perception is ESPN sucks donkey dick and I hope their entire organization burns in hell.

Similar to the way they handled the Va Tech - Rutgers game. Showing only Rutgers highlights and not Va Tech. Oh wait there were no Rutgers highlights. Never mind.

It means nothing for recruiting. Winning means everything for recruiting. Thats it. My perception is ESPN sucks donkey dick and I hope their entire organization burns in hell.
Tell you the truth, I stopped watching ESPN for anything except actual SU games since November 2011. I do not visit their website or listen to their radio shows either. I also stopped reading the Post Standard in 1991. It took 20 years but it finally paid off.

While I may be over-stating it's importance, to say it means nothing is pretty naive. This "facebook generation" of recruits wants to be in the spotlight. Winning will bring the spotlight on game day, but ESPN (and other media) can bring the spot light 7 days a week.

For two days they had the headline on their front page about our two suspended players. We just whooped WVU and theres not even a mention on the front page. Anywhere. And I turn on Sportcenter and after the highlights they spend 5 minutes on Geno Smith. Ummmm..
Yeah, it was pretty annoying last night with the SC highlights. They mentioned PTG, but it was mostly about the angle of how Geno had a bad day. No mention of SU dominating both sides of the line of scrimmage and nearly doubling up WVU in yardage. ESPN certainly has their agenda and they stubbornly stick to it.

It may not affect recruiting in NYC but I bet it does in recruit rich states in the south. Certainly winning is most important, but the picture painted by the media can have influence. Perception also certainly affects attendance in our fair weather fan town. When SU is popular you get the people going to games that show up for an "event", and filling the stadium helps in a number of ways.

Perception also certainly affects attendance in our fair weather fan town.

Fair weather fans do not exist in Syracuse when it comes to basketball. Fans will always come to the games.

Know what you're saying, but don't really agree. Perceptions go a long way in college sports, with recruits, with fence-sitting fans, and with other media. You WANT to be covered. If a tree falls in the woods, and wins ten games, and no one is there, it doesn't make a sound.

Fair weather fans do not exist in Syracuse when it comes to basketball. Fans will always come to the games.
The basketball program actually proves my point. It's easy to be a fan when you're winning 30 games. In 2002 we averaged 17,000 with a team that had a winning record, but missed the dance. In 2005 we averaged just a shade under 23,000 two years removed from winning a national championship with an exciting combo of GMac and Warrick making all kinds of SC highlights. If we had a couple of years below .500 we wouldn't come close to 15,000.

Basketball is a winter sport. There are no fair weather fans for basketball in Syracuse becuase in winter there is no fair weather in Syracuse.

Basketball is a winter sport. There are no fair weather fans for basketball in Syracuse becuase in winter there is no fair weather in Syracuse.
You have some corny jokes , and i like it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
newmom4503

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom