Etan Thomas Podcast | Syracusefan.com

Etan Thomas Podcast

cuseinseattle

All American
I'm not sure how many people follow Etan Thomas on Facebook but he has a podcast and he had a pretty cool one after Pearl died. This week his partner on the pod is on vacation so he did a Cuse podcast. He had Jason Hart, Allen Griffen, Kueth Duany and Otis Hill on it. It was interesting to hear them talk about assistants and their thoughts on Pearl. Below is just a few things I remember, not word for word:

Thomas: Kueth do people come up to you about the 2003 season a lot. I know what I still get is people coming up to me and asking about Michigan State. They are like man I thought you guys had them.

Hart: Etan we chocked though for real. You know that right.

Thomas: To be honest the game is a memory for me. I haven't gone back and watched it.

Hart: I have. Multiple times. We had them.

Thomas: I just remember it happened so quickly. It's funny I talked to Mateen and Mo Pete about it a few years ago. They told me man we thought you guys had us. We thought we were going to lose. So they even were scared.

They also talked about the Mateen half time pep talk to the team also.

My favorite part was Otis Hill talking about Kueth coming out of the title game. He said something like:

Why did Boeheim take you out of that game Q. I mean you were playing great. I'm going to press Boeheim on that the next time I see him. (Everyone laughs) For real I'm going to press him. We grown now, we don't got to run and be scared of him no more. (Everyone laughs)

Those are just two parts it was really good. It was interested to hear the way they talk about Louis Orr and what he meant to everyone. I kind of see Red as that guy now. I also wonder if when Boeheim retires Hop could bring Orr back as a head assistant. That way we would have a big guy on the staff and someone who has had some head coaching experience. The other funny thing is during the Roberson thing last year one of the players that Boeheim talked about pushing was Kueth Duany. In the pod Duany is talking about how I think Boeheim just liked yelling at me. Thomas says something like, my first two years man he was always yelling and me and half time it was for stuff that wasn't even my fault.

The other Boeheim comment was from Griff I think. Thomas said that Boeheim always let him do his activism stuff and never tried to control him or anything and he gives him a lot of credit for not controlling his players off the court and treating them like adults. Then Griff says, "Man if you produce on the court and go to class and do good Boeheim don't care about anything else." Thomas then says, "True, no that's true. I was trying to say it a little nicer than that.

This is a problem according to the NCAA...

Yeah, treating young adults like adults is such a terrible thing. However, paying them on the side, buying their parents cars and houses or paying outright bribes is perfectly fine, just so long as you don't treat a young adult like an adult.

Yeah, treating young adults like adults is such a terrible thing. However, paying them on the side, buying their parents cars and houses or paying outright bribes is perfectly fine, just so long as you don't treat a young adult like an adult.

You left out, providing them with fake classes to maintain their eligibility, and rendering their degree (even more) worthless, is also not in the NCAA's #wheelhouse.

Hart: I have. Multiple times. We had them.

Jason, I love you buddy, but come on you lost the game by 18 points (I know the score wasn't quite indicative of how competitive the game was down the stretch). You didn't "have them." Big first half leads don't count.

Last edited:
Cuseinseattle, thanks for posting man! I just listened and it was great to hear all those guys share their Pearl stories, Boeheim stories, favorite moments at SU, and what they are doing in their careers. Hart and Griffin as coaches to young adults, Hill as a mentor at a maximum security penitentiary, and Duany helping to rebuild post-war Sudan and currently working in Nairobi.

If you guys have time, listen to the whole thing.

Cuseinseattle, thanks for posting man! I just listened and it was great to hear all those guys share their Pearl stories, Boeheim stories, favorite moments at SU, and what they are doing in their careers. Hart and Griffin as coaches to young adults, Hill as a mentor at a maximum security penitentiary, and Duany helping to rebuild post-war Sudan and currently working in Nairobi.

If you guys have time, listen to the whole thing.
WPFW - The Collision: Sports and Politics by Etan Thomas & Dave Zirin on iTunes

Jason, I love you buddy, but come on you lost the game by 18 points (I know the score wasn't quite indicative of how competitive the game was down the stretch). You didn't "have them." Big first half leads don't count.

It wasn't just a big first half lead. We were up by 14 or 15 with 10 minutes to go, weren't we?

To be honest, I've partially repressed it. Worst game I've ever had the misfortune of attending live...

As for bringing in Orr as lead assistant: no. With the recent freak outs about recruiting I doubt brining back a guy who was let go due to recruiting ineptitude is the play.

It wasn't just a big first half lead. We were up by 14 or 15 with 10 minutes to go, weren't we?

To be honest, I've partially repressed it. Worst game I've ever had the misfortune of attending live...
Most of them did not have the best things to say about coach I can tell you that especially Jason Hart

Most of them did not have the best things to say about coach I can tell you that especially Jason Hart

It's common to hear that a young freshman sophomore had problems with A coach

but I would've expected one of them to say they learned in time and respected it. Said just the opposite

even ripping him for allowing them to freelance in Maui

Last edited by a moderator: