Pre-Camp Unit DC thoughts | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Pre-Camp Unit DC thoughts

DL - Leaning into age and size here for starters, but I can see them going three deep. Three seniors Diggs, Wilson, Hastings Bama transfer, Jaquez. 2- Jobity, Ingraham, , EFC, Nwokocha; 3- Edwards, Simmons, Perry, Watson. Simmons could be on the clock roster wise.

LB - 1- Wax, McDonald; 2 - Sparrow, ZMG ; 3 - Heard, Bailey

DB - 1 In ink - Clark, Barron, Chestnut, pencil, Lewis, Grant. 2 - Bellamy, Gould, Washington, Barnes, . The rest are working to get the spot on the two deep.

OL - 1 Reed, ECJr, Miller, Washington, Weatherspoon,; 2 Ilaoa, Moeolo, Wohlabaugh (if he can play), , , Petry, Bradford

TE - Gadsden, Villari, 2 - Mang, Clement (In line)

WR - 1 , Haynes, JRS, Pena, 2 - Meeks, Gill, Ross, 3 - Hatcher, James, Hornsby, Thomas. It would be great if one of the freshmen is an instant impact player

QB - McCord, Williams, CDRW

RB - Allen, Willis, Nixon, Hart

GO, This was a fun write up as usual. I provided some alternatives with thoughts just to see if I have any sense at all. Would love to hear your (and others) more connected opinions regarding my response (I am not connected at all, so these are intuition, not based on intel)

Jaquez for Ingraham because I don't think we will start three DTs and Jaquez was 1st team during spring game

ZMG for Bailey because he looked like he was ahead of him during the spring game, but with only two backers it was hard to tell. Also ZMG was arguably the most impressive backer all day that day (dont feel strongly about this one)

Lewis for Bellamy Lewis started at ND, and Bellamy didn't. Bellamy didn't even start the year here over Wilson (who was physcially challenged). I think Bellamy will be CB 4 or 5 but solid depth, particularly under Fran's mentoring

Miller for Petry because I think Petry was only ahead because of continuity in the program. I don't think Fran would have brought Miller in from his team if he didn't think he could make an impact. Also Petry has never beaten out our mediocre starters here, so I have less confidence there for that reason as well but will be stoked if he starts since it means he beat out a bunch of decent talent, instead of being the best of a motely crew like the last several years

Haynes for Meeks based him being the top talked about talent in the room (aside from OG) all spring, starting the spring game, getting the most touches and finally he can play outside with JRS unlike Meeks who I think lacks the speed for the outside and will see more time inside but the top 5 will all play a lot, similar to 2016 with Ish, AET, Estime, Erv...

Ross for Hatcher Based on Hatcher already being passed by Gil, I think he is low man in the room as far as the experienced players go. Also, his continued achilies showing up in the spring game (drops) and I figure one of the new kids will make a splash as you say so I picked the top 150 kid out of Jerz. I feel pretty strongly that Hatcher will not be on the 2 deep (I am counting OG as a WR) but don't feel strongly it will be Ross that replaces him

Williams for CDRW Typically the incumbent has the advantage that the biggest benefit of experince is ability to read defensens, react to live situations and the other intangibles. In this case those are CDRWs biggest weakness with his biggest strength being his arm talent. Unfortunately for him Williams also has terrific arm talent, also seems like a great athlete, like CDRW (and I give CDRW credit for getting in better shape and regaining his athleticism from 2 years ago!). Also Williams is the future, so reps in practice and in games may be better spent on him, if both are going to be long shots to win us a game

Outstanding post. Sound logic and very well presented.

Thanks for taking the time to put that together and sharing with the board.

This feels pretty good. Could see Cruz and Spoon flipping on the right potentially but yeah. Very solid.
Agree on Spoon at RT (opposite ECJr.) We'll know in August if past is prologue. In the meantime, here's the baseline:

[Spring game 1s and (2s), aspirants in Red]:

Tackles: ECJr. and Spoon (Miller and Mack) Washington Wohlabaugh
Center: Reed (ILLoa)
Guards: Petry and Bradford (Moeolo and Cruz) Hornsby

Last edited:
DL - Leaning into age and size here for starters, but I can see them going three deep. Three seniors Diggs, Wilson, Hastings Bama transfer, Jaquez. 2- Jobity, Ingraham, , EFC, Nwokocha; 3- Edwards, Simmons, Perry, Watson. Simmons could be on the clock roster wise.

LB - 1- Wax, McDonald; 2 - Sparrow, ZMG ; 3 - Heard, Bailey

DB - 1 In ink - Clark, Barron, Chestnut, pencil, Lewis, Grant. 2 - Bellamy, Gould, Washington, Barnes, . The rest are working to get the spot on the two deep.

OL - 1 Reed, ECJr, Miller, Washington, Weatherspoon,; 2 Ilaoa, Moeolo, Wohlabaugh (if he can play), , , Petry, Bradford

TE - Gadsden, Villari, 2 - Mang, Clement (In line)

WR - 1 , Haynes, JRS, Pena, 2 - Meeks, Gill, Ross, 3 - Hatcher, James, Hornsby, Thomas. It would be great if one of the freshmen is an instant impact player

QB - McCord, Williams, CDRW

RB - Allen, Willis, Nixon, Hart

GO, This was a fun write up as usual. I provided some alternatives with thoughts just to see if I have any sense at all. Would love to hear your (and others) more connected opinions regarding my response (I am not connected at all, so these are intuition, not based on intel)

Jaquez for Ingraham because I don't think we will start three DTs and Jaquez was 1st team during spring game

ZMG for Bailey because he looked like he was ahead of him during the spring game, but with only two backers it was hard to tell. Also ZMG was arguably the most impressive backer all day that day (dont feel strongly about this one)

Lewis for Bellamy Lewis started at ND, and Bellamy didn't. Bellamy didn't even start the year here over Wilson (who was physcially challenged). I think Bellamy will be CB 4 or 5 but solid depth, particularly under Fran's mentoring

Miller for Petry because I think Petry was only ahead because of continuity in the program. I don't think Fran would have brought Miller in from his team if he didn't think he could make an impact. Also Petry has never beaten out our mediocre starters here, so I have less confidence there for that reason as well but will be stoked if he starts since it means he beat out a bunch of decent talent, instead of being the best of a motely crew like the last several years

Haynes for Meeks based him being the top talked about talent in the room (aside from OG) all spring, starting the spring game, getting the most touches and finally he can play outside with JRS unlike Meeks who I think lacks the speed for the outside and will see more time inside but the top 5 will all play a lot, similar to 2016 with Ish, AET, Estime, Erv...

Ross for Hatcher Based on Hatcher already being passed by Gil, I think he is low man in the room as far as the experienced players go. Also, his continued achilies showing up in the spring game (drops) and I figure one of the new kids will make a splash as you say so I picked the top 150 kid out of Jerz. I feel pretty strongly that Hatcher will not be on the 2 deep (I am counting OG as a WR) but don't feel strongly it will be Ross that replaces him

Williams for CDRW Typically the incumbent has the advantage that the biggest benefit of experince is ability to read defensens, react to live situations and the other intangibles. In this case those are CDRWs biggest weakness with his biggest strength being his arm talent. Unfortunately for him Williams also has terrific arm talent, also seems like a great athlete, like CDRW (and I give CDRW credit for getting in better shape and regaining his athleticism from 2 years ago!). Also Williams is the future, so reps in practice and in games may be better spent on him, if both are going to be long shots to win us a game
I fully expect Ross to be on the two deep from what I’ve seen and heard.

This fascination with every year being the year for Hatcher to turn the corner - I think that’s over.

My prediction for OL starters:

LT -- Washington [Colorado transfer]
LG - Miller
C - Reed
RG - Weatherspoon [or Bradford]
RT - Cruz
I think this is close to what I’m thinking. There’s no way Bradford passes ‘Spoon, in my opinion that ship has sailed (and that’s a good thing for us).

I do think Hornsby, the Grambling Transfer, likely would have been in the LG spot coming out of the Spring had he been here. But it will be a good competition between him and Miller in the fall.

This fascination with every year being the year for Hatcher to turn the corner - I think that’s over.
Hatcher I think is a talented player but he's so dang skinny. I wonder if he gets his degree and moves after the season.

Hatcher I think is a talented player but he's so dang skinny. I wonder if he gets his degree and moves after the season.
It’s not just that, he’s very inconsistent. Will make an amazing catch and then drop routine ones.

This feels pretty good. Could see Cruz and Spoon flipping on the right potentially but yeah. Very solid.

Agree on Spoon at RT (opposite ECJr.) We'll know in August if past is prologue. In the meantime, here's the baseline:

[Spring game 1s and (2s), aspirants in Red]:

Tackles: ECJr. and Spoon (Miller and Mack) Washington Wohlabaugh
Center: Reed (ILLoa)
Guards: Petry and Bradford (Moeolo and Cruz) Hornsby
i know i keep beating same drum but Spoon in my opinion will be better at guard. Diggs was kinda playing with him at spring game at it wasnt close honestly. Williams at Rt or Lt and cruz other tackle miller lg and spoon rg with transfer kid and bradford helping and wallabough guessing if he is back 100%

i know i keep beating same drum but Spoon in my opinion will be better at guard. Diggs was kinda playing with him at spring game at it wasnt close honestly. Williams at Rt or Lt and cruz other tackle miller lg and spoon rg with transfer kid and bradford helping and wallabough guessing if he is back 100%
Sounds good - Washington (not williams) and ECJr. at the tackles. Then Miller and Spoon at guard. It's the same lineup as RF2044's projection back at #8.

Last edited:

We will have Emanuel Ross the freshman WR and Justus Ross Simmons (JRS) the already highly producing transfer. Just trying to clarify which one you mean. I would assume who you are hearing about is JRS.

Hatcher could very well improve but have his stats taken a step back with Gadsden back and all the other targets.

No reason to be a Hatcher hater.

There will be a way to get both OG and Villari on the field at the same time. Haynes, OG, JRS, Villari, Lequint . Those are some playmakers. You can line OG up at slot and has his size. He’s flexible enough you can do anything with him. Get your best players on the field.

OL
LT Washington
Wohlabaugh (If healthy. Didn’t he have a broken knee cap ?) Miller if not
Reed
Cruz (Hornsby)
RT Spoon (imo Cruz struggler
last year at OT. Could easily be flipped though)

Diggs (Pen) Perry
Wilson (Pen) Ingraham
Hastings (Hopeful) Nwokocha
Jacquez Jobity

Wax ZMG
Mcdonald Sparrow (Love Sparrow against the run)

Williams Bellamy/Barnes
N - Duce
Barron
Clark
Grant

That back 5 is long, athletic, and should be very good. Experienced LB corp, and unproven, besides Diggs who can get to the passer, deep, with potential. Depending on how ERob is it would be a waste if this wasn’t top half of the ACC
at worst .

Even more goes for the offense. Haven’t had a group of starting playmakers like this since 2017. All depends on how Nix is able to mesh everything together.

I think our biggest question marks is an untested staff. Getting off to a hot start will do wonders in building confidence. Game 2 is arguably biggest of the season.