Europe travel advice needed - Cash | Syracusefan.com

Europe travel advice needed - Cash

CuseFaninVT

2023-24 Iggy Winner Leading Rebounder
No, I’m not offering cash for advice. Trying to figure out the best way to get my son cash while he is in Greece and Italy this summer for school/adventure. Seems like cash advances on the credit card are a bad idea. Anyone have experience/recommendations?

Can it be as simple as a bank transfer? I just shot the lady monies via bank transfer this morning, she's in Italy. I just assumed she'd be able to yank it from an ATM if she needed actual paper cash. I almost sent it via Venmo.

Can it be as simple as a bank transfer? I just shot the lady monies via bank transfer this morning, she's in Italy. I just assumed she'd be able to yank it from an ATM if she needed actual paper cash. I almost sent it via Venmo.
There’s a 3% fee or $10 (whichever is higher) per transaction. Plus whatever atm fees. But that is looking like the best option. We got him a card attached to our credit card account as well. Problem with that is interest starts immediately if you take a cash advance/withdrawal.

If your bank is Chase - Zelle is free (pretty sure). CashAPP probably would incur similar fees if you're getting that from your bank with Venmo.

I've had issues with Venmo anyway- so not a fan, and their customer service sucks. "We don't know what's wrong, try Paypal" seems to be their go-to advice. lol

Make him make his debit card a joint account and just deposit as you wish?!?!?

Hmmmmmm.

From what I've read and in my experience, having money in a large US bank and using ATMs is the best way to go.
It's what I did in Germany. There was a fee but it was smooth.

Do not under any circumstances use cash advance on a credit card. You will be hit with interest and multiple fees (cash advance, foreign exchange etc.).

I would use Xe or Remitly online. Very low fees and they give you best exchange rates on the day of transfer (to a local bank). Your son shows up, gets the loot and is buying shots of Ouzo for his pals in 5 minutes.

If there's a debit card that is attached to a checking account you can just let the bank do the currency conversion and use as normal.

No, I’m not offering cash for advice. Trying to figure out the best way to get my son cash while he is in Greece and Italy this summer for school/adventure. Seems like cash advances on the credit card are a bad idea. Anyone have experience/recommendations?
If he has a debit card he can use ATMs in Italy that don’t charge you. But you have to ask your bank ahead of time or youre f’d . I live in Italy now so i know firsthand how everything works. If not id give him enough money ahead of time because if you don’t speak the language or understand it or are not in a big city where they speak some English, he won’t even be able to pick up the money and some places might not even have enough money on hand to give him and in some cases the places will charge him to pick up money when most won’t charge you. My best advice would be to let him use your credit card and give him some cash as well.

If he has a debit card he can use ATMs in Italy that don’t charge you. But you have to ask your bank ahead of time or youre f’d . I live in Italy now so i know firsthand how everything works. If not id give him enough money ahead of time because if you don’t speak the language or understand it or are not in a big city where they speak some English, he won’t even be able to pick up the money and some places might not even have enough money on hand to give him and in some cases the places will charge him to pick up money when most won’t charge you. My best advice would be to let him use your credit card and give him some cash as well.
What part of Italy you at?

What part of Italy you at?
I live near Rome but im currently in NY visiting family. Amex isn’t accepted much I know from first hand experience.

Why don’t people just use credit cards? I don’t understand this. If you pay them off every month there is no interest and they bear the fraud risk.

Same transaction on a debit card you bear it..

Why don’t people just use credit cards? I don’t understand this. If you pay them off every month there is no interest and they bear the fraud risk.

True for credit cards. We’re all set with that. But there are occasions he will need cash. Granted those occasions are fewer these days, but just for emergencies….

Reactions: gbo

Italians or tourists? Its better to use credit cards because you get the best exchange rate because their euro is worth more than our dollar. But you need cash too because some places don’t take credit cards. Also some credit cards charge foreign transactions fees for every purchase so make sure you have a card that doesn’t charge foreign transactions fees.

Reactions: gbo
And for anyone here traveling to Italy make sure you don’t get scammed, meaning they charge you more for things that they don’t charge others because they know you’re American. It has happened to me but I know how some people operate here so i stopped it. Bring cards other than amex if they do accept it they will charge you more because they get charged more. Mastercard and visa are always good anywhere and make sure your card doesn’t charge you foreign transactions fee like I already said because u will get a fee for every transaction. Good luck.

DMing you

True for credit cards. We’re all set with that. But there are occasions he will need cash. Granted those occasions are fewer these days, but just for emergencies….
I'd just use venmo to the debit card and tell him to withdraw $100 at a time when he hits a bigger city or knows he's heading to a smaller town and may need it. Should be completely fine with credit cards 95% of the time. We're in Croatia leaving for Finland right now and have needed cash only like twice in 7 days so far between here and Oslo.

I'd just use venmo to the debit card and tell him to withdraw $100 at a time when he hits a bigger city or knows he's heading to a smaller town and may need it. Should be completely fine with credit cards 95% of the time. We're in Croatia leaving for Finland right now and have needed cash only like twice in 7 days so far between here and Oslo.
Assuming they don’t charge ridiculous fees at the atm machines and it actually works. Italy is different. You have to plan ahead.

Credit cards can be the best way to go, depending on which one(s) you have. It’s important to have one with no foreign transaction fees. ATMs are the best way to access cash. Some banks have some international ATM reciprocity with foreign banks (e.g., Bank of America) and also don’t charge foreign transaction fees. Otherwise, your bank or credit card company may charge fees for withdrawals overseas and may have a limit on the amount you can withdraw daily, so it’s important to consult with your bank about this. Either way, ATMs and credit cards remain the best ways to access cash & make purchases. Also, I’ve found that certain US banks allow you to “purchase” foreign currency in advance of traveling after favorable rates.

Credit cards can be the best way to go, depending on which one(s) you have. It’s important to have one with no foreign transaction fees. ATMs are the best way to access cash. Some banks have some international ATM reciprocity with foreign banks (e.g., Bank of America) and also don’t charge foreign transaction fees. Otherwise, your bank or credit card company may charge fees for withdrawals overseas and may have a limit on the amount you can withdraw daily, so it’s important to consult with your bank about this. Either way, ATMs and credit cards remain the best ways to access cash & make purchases. Also, I’ve found that certain US banks allow you to “purchase” foreign currency in advance of traveling after favorable rates.
My Bank of America card charges foreign transactions fees that’s why I don’t use it there.

My Bank of America card charges foreign transactions fees that’s why I don’t use it there.
Sorry, I mispoke. BoA waves usage fees, etc. but may include a foreign transaction fee. It has to be through one of Bank of America’s international partners: https://locators.bankofamerica.com/international.html

I travel quite a bit for work and have used their international ATM network in many of the countries listed on the link above.