Evan Foster could he move to LB? | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Evan Foster could he move to LB?

I dont give a damn about being right. All I said was these same DBs have gotten torched consistently for the last 3 years. Why would they all of a sudden be top 3 in the ACC?
Because we had incredible contribution from freshmen last year, who got better and better as the season went on?

We can take ND and Clemson out of it but maybe check out the WMU, NC, NCST condensed games and cut ups of the LVille and Uccnn games. We can also choose to ignore the 16 and 17 seasons if you want.

Its all on youtube, champ.

Pass defense was noticeable better. Not great, but there is a lot of reason for optimism.

YPA in 2018: #71
YPA in 2017: #103
YPA in 2016: #125
YPA in 2015 (Shafer!): #97

INT in 2018: #5
INT in 2017: #125
INT in 2016: #68
INT in 2015: #71

(mostly a passing down) 3rd Down D in 2018: #7
2017: #13
2016: #82
2015: #53

Its all on youtube, champ.

Don't be that guy, no reason for it... even if he's a blue

Foster in 16 and 17 was horrid, Foster in 18 was the best SS we've had since Shamarko and played a LOT like double D in his hay day. It's one of the most remarkable jumps I've seen in my 25 years watching. By end of season our safety pairing was filthy.

To OP's point, I think Bradshaw may fill that Whitner role to some extent

Foster in 16 and 17 was horrid, Foster in 18 was the best SS we've had since Shamarko and played a LOT like double D in his hay day. It's one of the most remarkable jumps I've seen in my 25 years watching. By end of season our safety pairing was filthy.

Bradshaw? God I hope not. He cannot be tasked with making tackles on running backs or tight ends and that was pretty much Whitner's role, no? I think if anyone from the secondary its Foster. Second would be Trill, and slide Iffy to CB. Trill is so physical its amazing to watch. That being said... if they want a LB like Whitner, I think Armstrong is best suited.

Bradshaw? God I hope not. He cannot be tasked with making tackles on running backs or tight ends and that was pretty much Whitner's role, no? I think if anyone from the secondary its Foster. Second would be Trill, and slide Iffy to CB. Trill is so physical its amazing to watch. That being said... if they want a LB like Whitner, I think Armstrong is best suited.

Whitner was that down and distance guy that was smart enough to never get burnt deep and always keep plays ahead of him while lacking elite speed or physicality to be a "playmaker" IMO. Bradshaw is similar vein albeit tighter in coverage to perhaps deny a few more receptions vs Whit trailing and tackling to negate YAC.

Trill could definitely play that role but I've got him pegged as having next level size/speed combo at CB. If Iffy shows enough at CB that we move Trill... well let's hope we're that lucky. Could also drop Richards into a hybrid nickel role from LB for a thumper vs a natural cover guy moving up.

I personally think the linebacker corps will be fine next year. I expect a guy like Juan Wallace will take a substantial step forward, Williams, Etc plus, having those two highly-touted flash participate in spring ball will accelerate their readiness. Question marks today, but I think they'll be better then expected once the game's roll around.

Foster was very good last year and that's saying a lot coming from me because I wanted him replaced before the season. As a strong safety his job is to play both run and pass. He did it very well. He had 86 tackles (56 solo) last year good for 3rd on the team, 1 int and 5 pass breakups. He was solid and should be better as a senior.

The safeties who got beat up last season were the ones who came in to sub for him like Coley.

This year they've moved Coley to the center field spot behind Cisco and given Devon Clarke the whack a mole spot.
I agree wholeheartedly

I dont give a damn about being right. All I said was these same DBs have gotten torched consistently for the last 3 years. Why would they all of a sudden be top 3 in the ACC?
I didn’t see us get torched this year through the air much at all. Nd game. We are easily top 2.

I think Bradshaw would be our best nickel

Weren't we statistically the 2nd best defense in the ACC overall behind only the National Champion?

Maybe there were reasons for the players "getting torched" other than the players ability, like maybe the other teams situational scheme? And our defensive call at the time.

Experience. See our DE’s who were badass in 2018 and statistically the worst in ACC in 2016 and 2017.

Whitner was that down and distance guy that was smart enough to never get burnt deep and always keep plays ahead of him while lacking elite speed or physicality to be a "playmaker" IMO. Bradshaw is similar vein albeit tighter in coverage to perhaps deny a few more receptions vs Whit trailing and tackling to negate YAC.

Trill could definitely play that role but I've got him pegged as having next level size/speed combo at CB. If Iffy shows enough at CB that we move Trill... well let's hope we're that lucky. Could also drop Richards into a hybrid nickel role from LB for a thumper vs a natural cover guy moving up.
Richards was playing alot of DE and MLB on passing downs. No way he plays any 'nickel' role.

Weren't we statistically the 2nd best defense in the ACC overall behind only the National Champion?

Maybe there were reasons for the players "getting torched" other than the players ability, like maybe the other teams situational scheme? And our defensive call at the time.
I don't care who's fault it is. Many on here think we were better on defense last yearthan we really were. I think we'll be better but here's recognizing that we do need to improve defensively for us to reduce margin of error for our team to win.

I don't care who's fault it is. Many on here think we were better on defense last yearthan we really were. I think we'll be better but here's recognizing that we do need to improve defensively for us to reduce margin of error for our team to win.
I don't think the coaching staff or most on this board care what you think or why.

The stats don't lie, if we were statistically the 2nd best defense in the ACC, then quite simply we were and that makes you wrong.

And those stats BTW include the awful loss to Notre Dame as well as the ridiculous loss to Pitt. So, those games not withstanding, we were actually better than the stats even show.

No horse in this race. Seems like both sides arguing are being a bit snarky with each other. I went to this website (2018 ACC Team Defense Statistics | The Football Database) in the parenthetical and it shows ACC def rankings. Maybe there are different cuts of data that show Syracuse higher and lower and that’s what each side is thinking. Draw your own conclusions from this data. Sorry I couldn’t post as link. Edit link works.

Last edited:
I don't think the coaching staff or most on this board care what you think or why.

The stats don't lie, if we were statistically the 2nd best defense in the ACC, then quite simply we were and that makes you wrong.

And those stats BTW include the awful loss to Notre Dame as well as the ridiculous loss to Pitt. So, those games not withstanding, we were actually better than the stats even show.
Thank you very much for making me and posters like me feel welcome while promoting and encouraging the thoughtful and mature exchanging of ideas regarding Syracuse Football while also not making it a personal attack on me personally and just directly responding to the points in posts. I think we all agree that the open exchange of opinions in a marketplace of ideas through discussion and debate moves us all closer to the truth. Using you as my mentor I don't see where we are statistically ranked #2 defensively where most sites show otherwise.
https://theacc.com/stats.aspx?path=football&year=2018
If you have a link to provide I will look at it to adjust my points. In general I do think we need to improve in many aspects defensively as a whole to improve our chances of repeating a 10-3 record and reduce our margin for error for a successful season.

Thank you very much for making me and posters like me feel welcome while promoting and encouraging the thoughtful and mature exchanging of ideas regarding Syracuse Football while also not making it a personal attack on me personally and just directly responding to the points in posts. I think we all agree that the open exchange of opinions in a marketplace of ideas through discussion and debate moves us all closer to the truth. Using you as my mentor I don't see where we are statistically ranked #2 defensively where most sites show otherwise.
https://theacc.com/stats.aspx?path=football&year=2018
If you have a link to provide I will look at it to adjust my points. In general I do think we need to improve in many aspects defensively as a whole to improve our chances of repeating a 10-3 record and reduce our margin for error for a successful season.

First off, I was talking specifically to you. Don't post things like "I don't care who's fault it is" when you get a reply to a post if you don't want someone to come back at you. That wasn't a very respectful comment on your part so I responded in kind.

Overall Defense is usually figured on Yards per game (10th ACC) or Avg/Pts per game (5th in ACC) but it doesn't tell anywhere near the whole story.

As far as overall ranking on defense is concerned, it depends on the ranking system and how much weight is given to each category. So it is mostly subjective unless you select a specific statistic.

We also played in arguaubly the 1-3rd toughest division in College Football, we played 2 teams that played in the CFB Playoff (Clemson and ND). We also played the best team in the Coastal (Pitt).

NCAA College Football FBS current team Stats | NCAA.com
2018 ACC College Football Team Statistics Leaders for Defense - ESPN

SU was also The below in the ACC
10th Overall in Yds per game
6th in Points Against
5th in Avg Pts a game
2nd in sacks
2nd in interceptions - tied
3rd in QB pressure %
6th in YPP
5th in Opposing TD's
1st in fumbles recovered

That is the 2nd best overall defense in the ACC.

1552244335091.png

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom