Everyone works hard | Syracusefan.com

Everyone works hard

It's easy to be ignorant about this. I became interested in college football simply because I was an undergrad and grad student at an ACC school and it was hard not to get caught up in the hoopla but otherwise would have no interest in athletics - to be successful in technical work fields is like entering a tunnel and ignoring everything else. When I began to notice athletics outside of football, I became aware of NCAA restrictions on meals, hearing that UConn point guard on their 2014 team talking about going to bed hungry, and later being struck by a similar quote from a female T & F athlete at ND: "we are always hungry". That makes sense given the amount of physical exertion you see in the video. Taking the human body as a machine, it takes energy to operate and the more effort the more energy in the form of food Calories that is needed. At least the NCAA loosened up their rules in the recent past I have heard - really a restriction on food intake makes no scientific sense.

It's easy to be ignorant about this. I became interested in college football simply because I was an undergrad and grad student at an ACC school and it was hard not to get caught up in the hoopla but otherwise would have no interest in athletics - to be successful in technical work fields is like entering a tunnel and ignoring everything else. When I began to notice athletics outside of football, I became aware of NCAA restrictions on meals, hearing that UConn point guard on their 2014 team talking about going to bed hungry, and later being struck by a similar quote from a female T & F athlete at ND: "we are always hungry". That makes sense given the amount of physical exertion you see in the video. Taking the human body as a machine, it takes energy to operate and the more effort the more energy in the form of food Calories that is needed. At least the NCAA loosened up their rules in the recent past I have heard - really a restriction on food intake makes no scientific sense.
th

Are families allowed to provide cash or food stuffs to athletes, or is that restricted, as well?

From what I read, I understood the prior NCAA rule was on the schools of the athletes (b/c food counts as a "benefit" I guess). If this is true, then the immediate family can send "care packages" but presumably problems would come from "boosters" doing this. It might have counted as infraction much as providing them with $$$. On the other hand if your family is wealthy they could provide more for you than the other athletes would get in terms of food so I don't know how extensive the prior NCAA Division 1 regulation was, or just what the situation is now, other than reading that the NCAA allows more snacks, etc. to be provided than they did prior to the negative publicity they received following the remarks of that UConn BB player.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cuse702

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom