Everything old is new again! | Syracusefan.com

Everything old is new again!

CuyahogaCuse

2nd String
Attended the Boca Raton Pep Rally tonight with the family.

Both bands and cheer squads were there. South Florida’s massive band (27 sousaphones) kicked off the festivities. And then it was time for The Pride of the Orange. Only ten sousaphones made the travel squad. We were looking like underdogs, just as we were back in the day in pep rallies against Auburn, LSU and Georgia in the late 80’s.

The whistles blew. The drummers drummed. And then the band started to play … The Saltine Warrior!

It was over. If you know, you know. We are so back.

I've always felt our band was undersized. Do other schools offer scholarships for band or.some other incentive?

I've always felt our band was undersized. Do other schools offer scholarships for band or.some other incentive?

At Syracuse, it’s the hardest 1 credit P/F course you’ll ever take.

The baton twirler gets a scholarship.

Everybody else (at least back in the day) was a regular student, who got to attend games for “free” by playing in the SUMB, as pretty much the only bennie.

Many schools do offer scholarships to band members.

It used to be, and I believe still is common practice for the SUMB to consist of students from else where as well. ie OCC, LeMoyne etc.

Attended the Boca Raton Pep Rally tonight with the family.

Both bands and cheer squads were there. South Florida’s massive band (27 sousaphones) kicked off the festivities. And then it was time for The Pride of the Orange. Only ten sousaphones made the travel squad. We were looking like underdogs, just as we were back in the day in pep rallies against Auburn, LSU and Georgia in the late 80’s.

The whistles blew. The drummers drummed. And then the band started to play … The Saltine Warrior!

It was over. If you know, you know. We are so back.
I don’t understand what any of this means but Let’s go Orange!!

It used to be, and I believe still is common practice for the SUMB to consist of students from else where as well. ie OCC, LeMoyne etc.
Didn’t know that. Thats great stuff.

A full dome will create buzz to have a full band again imo

Didn’t know that. Thats great stuff.

A full dome will create buzz to have a full band again imo
I never knew it before, but I was a percussion major at OCC and was told of that opportunity immediately. That included Sour Sitrus Society also. But that was 88-89

At Syracuse, it’s the hardest 1 credit P/F course you’ll ever take.

The baton twirler gets a scholarship.

Everybody else (at least back in the day) was a regular student, who got to attend games for “free” by playing in the SUMB, as pretty much the only bennie.
Yeah I wish we could offer scholarships for band. Even if they were just partials...to get the numbers up a bit

Yeah I wish we could offer scholarships for band. Even if they were just partials...to get the numbers up a bit
You'll never see them spend money on that, just to sit in the end zone as they play canned music.
#LetTheBandPlay

I never knew it before, but I was a percussion major at OCC and was told of that opportunity immediately. That included Sour Sitrus Society also. But that was 88-89
i'm surprised about the SSS. I assumed that was hard to get into as an SU student in the band. Maybe the road trips to ACCT and NCAA are the seniority portion of the SSS but that's interesting.

Bring back the Hey song.
That was always a crowd favorite.

How about the LSU Neck chant? Lol. If you aren’t familiar with that one, go google it. This is a family board so I won’t explain in detail but listen to the crowd and the words they sing. Their athletic department banned it but they have broken it before like when Burrow led them to a natty.

Bring back the Hey song.
e09955d77850056d16e419c7f0942659.jpg

Does anyone have a link to a Down the Field ringtone?

USF undergraduate enrollment: 38,046
Syracuse undergraduate enrollment: 6,552

USF has 1,409.1 students per sousaphone.
SU has 655.2 students per sousaphone.

Syracuse is over twice as sousaphone intensive as South Florida.