Excessive celebration penalty? | Syracusefan.com

Excessive celebration penalty?

W'boro'Cuse315

All American
Dowels makes a huge INT in front of our sideline & his teammates mob him. Nobody ran onto the field, nobody was drawing attention to themselves, just a player celebrating with his teammates. PERSONAL FOUL

Staying within our own conference,

-A helmet-less Miami sideline player runs 10 yds onto the field DURING the final play against Duke. NO FLAG

-The entire L'ville defense performs a choreographed end zone dance following their late pick-6 against us in mop-up time last week. NOTHING

Haven't been able to watch the replay yet, did I miss something in the Dome yesterday?

No, it's just a discretionary ruling that a referee crew with a bias can use to create an effect when they want to.

Based on this call they could call celebration on every freaking play.

I think in this case the poor little ref who Shafer yelled at threw a flag out of spite.

No, it's just a discretionary ruling that a referee crew with a bias can use to create an effect when they want to.

Based on this call they could call celebration on every freaking play.

I think in this case the poor little ref who Shafer yelled at threw a flag out of spite.
Eh, on 2nd thought, it's understandable. I mean, it's not like it was a potential game-turning play against #1 or anything. Plus, it's not like it happened in front of a raucous home crowd, where teams across the country are always given a bit more leeway when celebrating.

It seemed like an utterly baseless call.

As was the defensive holding call on the SU CB on a crucial 3rd down pass play at the end of the game as Clemson was moving the ball west to east.

i think it happpened because he was trying to hand the ball off to a ref and eventually a clemson player wondered by and he tossed it to him.

It seemed like an utterly baseless call.

As was the defensive holding call on the SU CB on a crucial 3rd down pass play at the end of the game as Clemson was moving the ball west to east.
That baffled me as well. I didn't see much contact, someone said Whitner briefly grabbed his arm. Didn't seem like any more than the typical hand fighting.

qdawgg said:
Thompson (I believe) got in the face of one of the Clemson players and that's why the penalty was called.

This ^^^^ I don't know what he said, but the ref didn't like it.

This ^^^^ I don't know what he said, but the ref didn't like it.

He probably told the player the ref can't take that one back.

So the ref tried his best.

I'm sure someone from the league office would tell me you don't understand, it's good for the league. Bunch of horsesh!t. I wanted that ref who talked like he had a mouth full of marbles to swallow his whistle. Literally.

I'm curious about something. When Shafer got called for the 15 yard bench penalty for chasing the ref down the sideline while yelling at him. Was Shafer chasing him because the ref walked away too fast for courtesy to a coach or had Shafer truly lost his cool?

In an odd way I liked that SS was as p#$%^d as he ought to be and thought he should be more assertive on bad calls. However, I've seen refs spend an inordinate amount of time respectfully explaining a call to an angry, highly regarded coach and that ref would stay with the coach for a long time. With Shafer, the ref seemed to say his piece then walk away when Shafer wasn't done with the 'conversation'. Am I overstating this or was the ref really showing a lack of respect for SS?

I'm curious about something. When Shafer got called for the 15 yard bench penalty for chasing the ref down the sideline while yelling at him. Was Shafer chasing him because the ref walked away too fast for courtesy to a coach or had Shafer truly lost his cool?

In an odd way I liked that SS was as p#$%^d as he ought to be and thought he should be more assertive on bad calls. However, I've seen refs spend an inordinate amount of time respectfully explaining a call to an angry, highly regarded coach and that ref would stay with the coach for a long time. With Shafer, the ref seemed to say his piece then walk away when Shafer wasn't done with the 'conversation'. Am I overstating this or was the ref really showing a lack of respect for SS?

The ref did walk away and SS ran down the sideline and threw his headset on the field.

That baffled me as well. I didn't see much contact, someone said Whitner briefly grabbed his arm. Didn't seem like any more than the typical hand fighting.

He grazed is arm. It's bylaw 3.5.1.8.niner. Thou shalt not graze the arm of a Clemson player whilst attempting to pass by you.

He grazed is arm. It's bylaw 3.5.1.8.niner. Thou shalt not graze the arm of a Clemson player whilst attempting to pass by you.
Ah, yes, the Bowden Bylaw. Don't forget the stipulation: "unless you're an FSU player, at which point the play will be called in favor of the team with the better title chances."

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KD95

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom