Exciting game | Syracusefan.com

Exciting game

Fjoinkay

Starter
yesterday. We saw some confusion late, but we also saw a lot of improvement. Win or lose yesterday, this team just needs to keep the focus and continue to grind to find itself.

I'm very happy for Rak this season. His work and his patience is paying off. Cooney is an athlete, and I like to see him use that ability. On the inbound play at the end of regulation, whether Cooney was fouled or not, he needed to do whatever he could to avoid falling down because SU had no timeouts. His poise at the free throw line late was impressive, and they needed him one more time. If he can stay on his feet longer there he may either get the ball or a foul called against the defender or both. Cooney appears confident more often. I like how he is shaking off the small stuff and developing a short memory for mistakes. When he is easy on himself his play lifts his teammates.

The use of the final timeout a couple of possessions earlier was a cautious move that perhaps could have been avoided. Cooney flashed to the ball, and he appeared to be open. Gbinije is improving. I like his athleticism. One way he can definitely help this team is by shooting better at the free throw line.

The younger players are all improving. I'm curious to see how these guys continue to cohere. No excuses for this team which I like. If they continue to hold their heads high and work through the setbacks they have possibilities.