EXCLUSIVE: Syracuse’s Rakeem Christmas Dishes On This Year’s Team | Syracusefan.com

EXCLUSIVE: Syracuse’s Rakeem Christmas Dishes On This Year’s Team

His reference to JB:

"When I’m not doing what I’m supposed to be doing, he gets on me. When I am doing what I am supposed to be doing, he still gets on me. He’s just here to push me to be better."

I think James Southerland is going to be one our teams biggest fans for decades to come. He really wanted to come here and he seems to be really enjoying himself every minute he gets to spend here. Hope he finds success in whatever he does cause he is definitely one of the world's good guys.

I think James Southerland is going to be one our teams biggest fans for decades to come. He really wanted to come here and he seems to be really enjoying himself every minute he gets to spend here. Hope he finds success in whatever he does cause he is definitely one of the world's good guys.
My wife's favorite player since that first Midnight Madness performance. We met him at the Dino B B' que and he did not disappoint her. We also met his dad & the apple didn't fall far from the tree. James is very involved with the Syracuse community in the summer and has mentored young kids and I have been told he is wonderful with them.

What's not to like about this young man?

My wife's favorite player since that first Midnight Madness performance. We met him at the Dino B B' que and he did not disappoint her. We also met his dad & the apple didn't fall far from the tree. James is very involved with the Syracuse community in the summer and has mentored young kids and I have been told he is wonderful with them.

What's not to like about this young man?

We bumped into him and his family at the Tully's on Erie Boulevard after the last game before Christmas a couple years ago. Had a couple younger siblings, seemed like awfully nice people.

If you could make up your own nickname, what would it be?
RC: Everyone just calls me ‘Roc.’ It’s been my name for a while and they just like it like that.

It's not Rak, just stood out to me.

Good interview, it's nice to hear from Rak since he does seem to get frustrated at times but after that interview it looks like he has a good grasp of things.

I love that every single player since the beginning of time refers to JAB as "Boeheim". No first name, no title, just Boeheim. It sounds disrespectful the first time or two you hear it, but I've heard so many players across a long time span do it that you realize that it isn't meant in a disrespectful way.

Good interview but I got a big laugh out of the 1st comment to the article:

"This guys name is 'Rakeem Christmas'? I saw the headline and was hoping for Syracuse-themed Christmas dishes."

Hilarious! Must be quite a SU fan.

He's been my favorite since I saw an early interview with him. He just presented himself so well that it's a joy to see him enjoying success on-court. Haven't met him in person, but no matter. I'm proud to see him in Orange, and look forward to having his name attached to our program when he's in the NBA.

What a great in-depth interview! I wish they could do that for all of our players. But Rakeem does seem somewhat quiet. It's good to get to know him a little. Sounds like he has a very steady family presence.

I ran into him a week ago at Best Buy on Erie Blvd and thought for a sec is that really him, and had to look again and he had on a hood with sweat pants on that had 43 on it and said I have to say something. So I causally walked up to him and shot the with him for a couple minutes...really cool guy, grateful for all the support.