Expectations and Limitations... | Syracusefan.com

Expectations and Limitations...

SUFan44

Hall of Fame
I think this team tries hard for the most part - I really do. I think Gbinije and Cooney are doing the best they can, I think Lydon tries his hardest and 85-95% of the time Richardson and Roberson work hard too.

But there comes a point in time where you have to realize, as a fan, that your expectations need to be tempered. Let's make a quick list of limitations this roster has:

- A starting center that has not played Division I basketball in 1.5 years and who, prior to being hurt, was not all that great to begin with.
- A fifth-year senior starting PG who really isn't a PG - and who is playing out of position only because there is literally nobody else on the roster capable of playing PG.
- A fifth-year senior starting SG who, to put it nicely, has been playing subpar defense this season and has been shooting below average.
- A starting PF who, when engaged, is a good finisher around the rim and average 15-foot shooter. But is not engaged 100% of the time.
- A starting SF who is a freshman and undersized, and much better suited for the SG position.
- A sixth-man PF/C who is playing out of position in the middle of the zone much of the time and is now tentative offensively after having a couple bad games.
- Two backup guards who have combined to shoot 12-for-50 (24%) from the field and 2-for-18 (11%) from three-point range this year.
- A backup center whose best contribution to the team is he's a good kid and has five fouls per game.

What can you realistically expect from this roster, given its structure?

The NCAA is to blame partially for the composition of this roster, but the coaching staff should not be absolved of blame. In a perfect world, last year would have been Jerami Grant and Tyler Ennis' last seasons with Syracuse. Chris McCullough would have remained healthy and we would have had a better year.

But this year's roster, even with BJ Johnson & Ron Patterson, was not structured to be competitive at the highest level of the ACC. Either that, or the coaching staff is not developing the talent it is recruiting. I personally think it's a little bit of both. From his tape, I thought Kaleb Joseph would be fine given some skill development. But the kid still can't dribble with his left hand. Cooney has not improved over the last three years, Roberson's numbers have only improved due to playing more minutes. I mean, what gives?

I think this team tries hard for the most part - I really do. I think Gbinije and Cooney are doing the best they can, I think Lydon tries his hardest and 85-95% of the time Richardson and Roberson work hard too.

But there comes a point in time where you have to realize, as a fan, that your expectations need to be tempered. Let's make a quick list of limitations this roster has:

- A starting center that has not played Division I basketball in 1.5 years and who, prior to being hurt, was not all that great to begin with.
- A fifth-year senior starting PG who really isn't a PG - and who is playing out of position only because there is literally nobody else on the roster capable of playing PG.
- A fifth-year senior starting SG who, to put it nicely, has been playing subpar defense this season and has been shooting below average.
- A starting PF who, when engaged, is a good finisher around the rim and average 15-foot shooter. But is not engaged 100% of the time.
- A starting SF who is a freshman and undersized, and much better suited for the SG position.
- A sixth-man PF/C who is playing out of position in the middle of the zone much of the time and is now tentative offensively after having a couple bad games.
- Two backup guards who have combined to shoot 12-for-50 (24%) from the field and 2-for-18 (11%) from three-point range this year.
- A backup center whose best contribution to the team is he's a good kid and has five fouls per game.

The NCAA is to blame partially for the composition of this roster, but the coaching staff should not be absolved of blame. In a perfect world, last year would have been Jerami Grant and Tyler Ennis' last seasons with Syracuse. Chris McCullough would have remained healthy and we would have had a better year.

But this year's roster, even with BJ Johnson & Ron Patterson, was not structured to be competitive at the highest level of the ACC. Either that, or the coaching staff is not developing the talent it is recruiting. I personally think it's a little bit of both. From his tape, I thought Kaleb Joseph would be fine given some skill development. But the kid still can't dribble with his left hand. Cooney has not improved over the last three years, Roberson's numbers have only improved due to playing more minutes. I mean, what gives?
I think this team should pull a Kobe and not bother practicing between games. Dead serious. Some of the guys (ie G) looked spent in the 1st half (not sure ive even seen that before), forget about the 2nd half. The stat about 34-11 to end the last 2 games speaks for itself

I remember we used to beat great teams because, not only were we very good but, we were in better shape than them as well. Looking at the years between Jonny Flynn's rookie season and MCW's last.

Great teams, even better because they ran hard all game long. Transition.

And i agree on the limitations to a large degree but there is talent. I see 3 kids who should get a shot at the nba some day. G, Mal, TL. There are plenty of teams, even a few in acc who would like to have that type of (selective) talent. Excuses are overated imo, gotta find a way to do the most w what you have. But when youre getting beat 34-11 at end of two games obviously thats not happenin. Maybe things will change at home

Im just curious about that famous JB quote to the effect: these kids should be able to play 40 mins no problem

I agree wholeheartedly w this quote!! They SHOULD be able to play 40 mins from a conditioning perspective...The problem is did he say : play 40 mins no prob AND WIN??

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoachDiddi

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom