Expectations | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Expectations

I think based on all of the facts the offense would have to be significantly better. Just having an offensive line that can block even a little better than last year will open up more things on offense.

I'm a tad skeptical about the OL. I really hope they prove me wrong, but they'll need to show marked improvement to be considered amongst the top units in the conference. They were barely adequate last year, frankly. Sounds like Hay is in better shape--hope that helps his pass blocking. I'm concerned about Macky being Justin Outten the second [great technique, but too small / physically overmatched]. Depth is a concern.

Again, I hope they prove me wrong! If the OL can be even just average, the offense is really going to be much improved.

I'm a tad skeptical about the OL. I really hope they prove me wrong, but they'll need to show marked improvement to be considered amongst the top units in the conference. They were barely adequate last year, frankly. Sounds like Hay is in better shape--hope that helps his pass blocking. I'm concerned about Macky being Justin Outten the second [great technique, but too small / physically overmatched]. Depth is a concern.

Again, I hope they prove me wrong! If the OL can be even just average, the offense is really going to be much improved.

That is why I'm a little hopeful, they were barely adequate last year could they really be just as bad this year? I think there would have to be some improvement and from the sounds of it there is. Even just some marginal improvement would make a big difference I think.

Is expecting this team to be better than last year realistic? We lost our best player on offense, great senioe leadership on defense, two great linebackers, cornerbacks. Merk after the UW game was great last year as well. Long is gone, we have a huge question mark there as well.

Defense looks like it will take a step back if it even takes just a small step back, Shafer is a genius in my book. So, we have high expectations for the offense, which was nothing short of below average at best last year and on the road quite a bit as well, minus Carter and a few isolated plays. We have inexperienced D Tackles, small linebackers on the outside.

I hope to be wrong but I am just not seeing a great year. I see an offense that will improve slightly and a defense that MAY give up huge yards on the ground.. Could prove for a very frustrating year. The staff has their work cut out for them. We shall see tomorrow night and I guess that is why they play the game.

7-5 would be another great year for Syracuse, IMO. Hoping for better, won't surprise to take a step back this year.
I think I'd be a bit disappointed in 7-5 because of the way the schedule sets up. I think 5-1 to start out is very realistic. Say what you will about the defense and what it has lost from last year, the one thing I expect from the year is that defense improving from game to game. By the time we get to the second half of the season, I don't think the defense will be a liability. In Scott Shafer I Trust.

the OL is projected to be improved / top of the BE - we won't know if they actually are until tomorrow night.

well, duh, we won't know anything until tomorrow night, but the betting man's gamble is that the OL will be a strength. So, that said, I think we will run all day on these guys.

I agree I was the same way and am still for the next 24 hours but we lost a lot last year and it won't be easy to replace by any means. We shall see and considering how we played at home last year it leaves me wondering
I agree we lost a lot... But I honestly don't think we play anyone all that great! With health in the O-line and reasonable play out of Nassib, I think 7-5 is more than attainable... Hopefully, a worst case scenario...

well, duh, we won't know anything until tomorrow night, but the betting man's gamble is that the OL will be a strength. So, that said, I think we will run all day on these guys.

#29 post of the thread as well.. good running game for the Ant Bailey...

kinda like the "Would you take it" (the answer is always yes for Chip) they do on WGR in buffalo. what record would you take if offered. is 7-5 good enough to pass up the chance for something better?

for me, I'd take 7-5 happily.

guess id have to say yes, but that means thats 1 more loss than im ready to concede.

although, that would probably put the Orange back in the Pinstripe which is good, but bad for me as i dont think ill be around for it this year. :noidea:

Fair assessment -- this year, 7-5 is absolutely good enough. Next year is where I see us contending for a legit confernece title and being a top 25 type team again.

I would take 7-5.

We need to get to a bowl game - for recruiting momentum and to help raise money for the indoor facility.

Losing Long, Holmes, Smith, Hogue, Tribbey, Perkins, Merk, Carter, Sales, Bart, Suter and others will hurt, no doubt.

And it sounds like Wake Forest will be a much tougher game than I figured a few weeks ago.

Hopefully the athletic ability of the frosh and sophs will overcome the lack of experience.

And hopefully Nassib will take a big step forward this year.

Here's another way to look at it.

In FCS games last year, we gave up 20.9 a game and scored 18.9. We're pretty fortunate that we were 6-5 in those games last year, a bill james type formula would flip it to 5-6 most years. I'm not saying we were lucky, I'm just saying it's not a record you should expect with these numbers.

We have one less FBS gimme this year. Let's assume we beat URI and have the same points allowed in FBS games. In order to get to 7-5 in FCS games (8-5 overall), we need to score 24 ppg in those FCS games.

In order to improve to 9-4 with the same points allowed, you have to score 28 per game in FBS games.

I sound like a wet blanket but I really mean that we should be happy to repeat last years results because we'd probably have to be much better to get back to 8-5.

doesn't work as great as the baseball formula because there are fewer games. had the defense done better against pitt and wash, the numbers would match the record more.

Here's another way to look at it.

In FCS games last year, we gave up 20.9 a game and scored 18.9. We're pretty fortunate that we were 6-5 in those games last year, a bill james type formula would flip it to 5-6 most years. I'm not saying we were lucky, I'm just saying it's not a record you should expect with these numbers.

We have one less FBS gimme this year. Let's assume we beat URI and have the same points allowed in FBS games. In order to get to 7-5 in FCS games (8-5 overall), we need to score 24 ppg in those FCS games.

In order to improve to 9-4 with the same points allowed, you have to score 28 per game in FBS games.

I sound like a wet blanket but I really mean that we should be happy to repeat last years results because we'd probably have to be much better to get back to 8-5.

doesn't work as great as the baseball formula because there are fewer games. had the defense done better against pitt and wash, the numbers would match the record more.

Agree 100% and that is my whole point.. It would take a HUGE HUGE effort to improve on last years recird. ON paper, we should probably be a game or two worse, probably 5-7

guess id have to say yes, but that means thats 1 more loss than im ready to concede.

although, that would probably put the Orange back in the Pinstripe which is good, but bad for me as i dont think ill be around for it this year. :noidea:

This is exactly my thought. I really want an 8-4 regular season with a bowl. But I'll take 7-5 and a bowl.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom