Experimental NIT Rules... | Syracusefan.com

Experimental NIT Rules...

The NCAA Playing Rules Oversight Panel has approved some experimental rules for the 2017 tournament that affect team fouls and the shot clock. Among the experiments: Team fouls will be reset to zero at the end of 10-minute segments of each half — incorporating elements of playing four quarters while staying with a two-half format — and the shot clock will be reset to 20 seconds instead of 30 at times when the ball is inbounded in the front court.

Here are the details from the NCAA:

►Each team is limited to a team total of four personal and technical fouls (excluding administrative technical fouls) during each 10-minute segment of each half.

► The first 10-minute segment of each half will begin when the ball becomes live to begin the half and will end when the game clock reads 10:00. The second segment will begin when the game clock reads 9:59 and ends when the half ends.

► When a team has reached the four-foul limitation, all subsequent personal and technical fouls (excluding administrative technical fouls) will be penalized by two free throw attempts.

► Each team’s foul total will reset to zero when any 10-minute segment has ended.

► The rules regarding penalties for fouls in the act of shooting, flagrant fouls or technical fouls will not be affected by this experimental rule and will always result in two free throws unless the rules specifically say otherwise.

►In any overtime period, when a team has reached a total of three personal and technical fouls (excluding administrative technical fouls), all subsequent personal and technical fouls will be penalized by two free throw attempts.

On the shot clock adjustment: The shot clock will remain the same as when play was interrupted or reset to 20 seconds, whichever is greater, at any time any of the following occurs:

►A personal foul by the defense, which results in no free throws, and the ball is inbounded in the front court.

► Any technical foul assessed against the defense, and the ball is inbounded in the front court.

► The game is stopped for a bleeding player or blood on a uniform and the ball is inbounded in the front court.

We shouldnt have accepted the invite if we were just gonna be used for an experimental purpose. Its an insult tobthe tournament and the teams

Really? It's not like they're conducting bizarre genetic experiments on the players.

Yeah but whats the point of even playing in a mens college basketball tournament if we are not gonna play by mens college basketball rules. Its not fair for the small teams to had to work their butt off just to get into this tournament. A win in NIT would be huge for these smaller teams but now they have to deal with playing a game with different rules. It isnt fair to them and isnt fair to us who could suffer a embarrising loss because we are playing a different format. Its just stupid. Especially for a post season game

If they're going to experiment with the rules, why not some form of an advance rule for a timeout in the final minutes of the game/half? Seems much more pertinent than quarters and the rules with fouls. Also, I hate this free throw rule. It will add scoring to games, but not in an exciting way... and it makes it harder to come from behind, so it takes excitement out of the game.

Really? It's not like they're conducting bizarre genetic experiments on the players.
Hell, maybe that would make our players better.

I'm envisioning Thompson coming back next season with like a spiky turtle shell or something on his back that helps him box out.

Battle gets a bionic eye.

So I assume there is no stoppage of play at that 10 minute mark, just a reset of team foul situation. Odd.

So I assume there is no stoppage of play at that 10 minute mark, just a reset of team foul situation. Odd.

The game (and TV) is designed for media timeouts every 4 minutes.

Stopping at the 10 minute mark would be awkward if you're stopping at 12:00 and 8:00

As a fan I don't need this. Seems too complicated. This is supposed to be the tournament where we try and remember that it's fun to play basketball, right? No pressure to win, no consequences.

Now they could really turn this whole NIT thing around by making the tournament prize be a release of sanctions by the NCAA. Whoa Nelly, that will attract some interest.

Don't like the 2 foul shots. Would rather have one and ones from fouls 4 to 6 and 2 shots thereafter.

Hell, maybe that would make our players better.

I'm envisioning Thompson coming back next season with like a spiky turtle shell or something on his back that helps him box out.

Battle gets a bionic eye.

Reminds me of old school Nintendo games or the cartoons based on them, lol.

In my opinion, post season is not the time to do this, although nature does seem to favor competiton and enough mutations to find one that works. I like the idea, just not suddenly in the post season for teams not prepared for it.

1.) Team fouls reset to zero at 9:59 in each half - making it the same as four quarters

2,) Teams shoot 2 on the fifth foul in each segment - no more 1-and-1

3.) Shot clock will reset to 20 seconds on front court inbounds - ie, after a foul

No. 1 seems silly, just play 4 quarters and be done with it.

No. 2 does away with the stupidest rule in college hoops!

Thoughts?

2017 NIT Bracket: Syracuse a 1-seed, plus rule changes to know

I like the rules, except as you say, why not just go to 4 quarters.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom