Experts not so keen on 2014-2015 SU edition | Syracusefan.com

Experts not so keen on 2014-2015 SU edition

This is what happens when you dont develop a deeper bench and dont play your younger players. They arent ready the following year and you are essentially starting over. This year it will be more pronounced then past years because Grant and Ennis are both gone a year earlier then we anticipated.

They had a 5-year span of regular season excellence. Needed to capitalize one of those years and win a title.

They had a 5-year span of regular season excellence. Needed to capitalize one of those years and win a title.

Unfortunately, it feel like we are always looking 2 years ahead...

cuseguy said:

2010 and 2012. Opportunities stolen.

Clev04 said:
This is what happens when you dont develop a deeper bench and dont play your younger players. They arent ready the following year and you are essentially starting over. This year it will be more pronounced then past years because Grant and Ennis are both gone a year earlier then we anticipated.

JB doesn't play a deep bench but year after year we have a pretty good team.

Guys seem to go from minimal or zero role to big successful ones quite often under JB. He is only going to play 9 guys if guys 8 and 9 are as good as guys 6 and 7 and they fill needed rolls. That's the way he rolls.

JB doesn't play a deep bench but year after year we have a pretty good team.

I know I beat this horse dead, but couldnt they possibly become great?

2010 and 2012. Opportunities stolen.
2012 opportunity stolen?
2010 you can say we got bad luck when AO hurt his leg, but 2012 nothing was stolen.
Fab Melo screwed up and didn't do the coursework to stay academically eligible.. We weren't the best team in 2012 even with Fab Melo as Kentucky was better. I think we may have played for a NC in 2012, but nothing was stolen because Fab Melo should have done the work. North Carolina lost Kendall Marshall in the 2nd round of the 2012 NCAA tournament with a wrist injury and I don't hear their fans saying an opportunity was stolen.

2012 opportunity stolen?
2010 you can say we got bad luck when AO hurt his leg, but 2012 nothing was stolen.
Fab Melo screwed up and didn't do the coursework to stay academically eligible.. We weren't the best team in 2012 even with Fab Melo as Kentucky was better. I think we may have played for a NC in 2012, but nothing was stolen because Fab Melo should have done the work. North Carolina lost Kendall Marshall in the 2nd round of the 2012 NCAA tournament with a wrist injury and I don't hear their fans saying an opportunity was stolen.

Honestly, I think we were the most dominate team that year with Fab. Kentucky was not very good against zone either, and I believe we would have won if he remained eligible. But I do agree that injuries and things happen to every team and it's a part of the game. It's a shame those two separate incidences happened but we can't keep saying woulda, coulda, shoulda. Plenty of teams can say the same exact things about similar incidences.

I know I beat this horse dead, but couldnt they possibly become great?

We are great sometimes.

2012 opportunity stolen?

Stolen by the basketball gods.

2012 opportunity stolen?

It was stolen, by Fab's complete disregard for his teammates and coaches.

I don't think we will be that bad. Our defense should carry us once again. If anything this year should show us that anyone can get hot and win a title.

I don't think we will be that bad. Our defense should carry us once again. If anything this year should show us that anyone can get hot and win a title.

Anyone had an outstanding back court.

It was stolen, by Fab's complete disregard for his teammates and coaches.
Some kids want an education others don't want to take advantage of their time in college. Fab didn't want to take advantage of his academic opportunity while at Syracuse, but his ineligibility did not steal anything from us. We were still a 1 seed in the East, and had Rak Christmas and Baye Moussa Keita to play the middle of zone. We made it to the Elite 8 and lost a tough game to Ohio State. Officiating was terrible in that game both ways, and we lost. With Fab Melo who knows if we beat Wisconsin the round before or if we beat Ohio State. A title wasn't stolen in 2012.

Some kids want an education others don't want to take advantage of their time in college. Fab didn't want to take advantage of his academic opportunity while at Syracuse, but his ineligibility did not steal anything from us. We were still a 1 seed in the East, and had Rak Christmas and Baye Moussa Keita to play the middle of zone. We made it to the Elite 8 and lost a tough game to Ohio State. Officiating was terrible in that game both ways, and we lost. With Fab Melo who knows if we beat Wisconsin the round before or if we beat Ohio State. A title wasn't stolen in 2012.

Fab didn't just not take advantage of his time in college, he screwed over his team. We were a different team with Fab, can I prove that we beat Osu with him?, no but I think we do. Kentucky was a better team, but in a one game scenario we could have beaten them.

Alsacs said:

Who said a national championship was stolen?

Who said a national championship was stolen?
I should taken the last 6 words out I was wrong there. I should have said an opportunity was not stolen instead of a title. No opportunity was stolen because we still were we a 1 seed in the East and had 2 bodies to man the middle of the zone.

I should taken the last 6 words out I was wrong there. I should have said an opportunity was not stolen instead of a title. No opportunity was stolen because we still were we a 1 seed in the East and had 2 bodies to man the middle of the zone.

Neither of them were as good as Fab.

Neither of them were as good as Fab.
That is your opinion. I am not going to tell you are right or wrong. I am making the point we had no opportunity stolen from us in 2012. We were seeded 1 in the East, had multiple players for the middle of the zone, we had multiple scoring threats, senior leadership we had no opportunity stolen.
2007 we had more an opportunity stolen than in 2012 because we should have been given a chance to play in the NCAA tournament, but the selection committee decided we weren't worthy of a bid.
I am disappointed Fab Melo wasn't eligible, but I don't believe his loss robbed us of an opportunity to compete for a title.

That is your opinion. I am not going to tell you are right or wrong. I am making the point we had no opportunity stolen from us in 2012. We were seeded 1 in the East, had multiple players for the middle of the zone, we had multiple scoring threats, senior leadership we had no opportunity stolen.
2007 we had more an opportunity stolen than in 2012 because we should have been given a chance to play in the NCAA tournament, but the selection committee decided we weren't worthy of a bid.
I am disappointed Fab Melo wasn't eligible, but I don't believe his loss robbed us of an opportunity to compete for a title.

Regardless of what we had in 2012, our chances were much better with Fab.

All of those early predictions have at least four ACC teams ranked ahead of Syracuse which seems about right. Duke and Carolina have two of the nation's best recruiting classes and we have some major losses going into next season.

The important thing to keep in mind is we really won't know how this might actually play out until they start playing games again in November.

So the idea is to play weaker players hoping they will develop faster from making mistakes and lose more games so that at some point in the future you may win more games? And then repeat the cycle next year?

Summer time is when you develop players. Winter is when you win games.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom