Class of 2020 - F Jyare Davis (DE) TRANSFERRING TO SYRACUSE (4/15/24) | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2020 F Jyare Davis (DE) TRANSFERRING TO SYRACUSE (4/15/24)

You must have never played a team sport where a prized player gets everything no matter what the other players do. Maliq does exactly what he's told to do. People here are going to cry when he blows up for some other program next year.

I’ve played plenty there Mr hot take including dealing with coach and role changes which impacts every player differently. He will be good wherever he goes but as for blowing up - I mean that would take more development even as good as he is. He’s good at many things which is why we hate to lose him. That doesn’t mean he blows up where he goes. It will depend on his role and if he’s going for a bag- which is good for him- then there is no guarantee a team is going to find the perfect fit to ensure he succeeds.

Last edited:
Seems like the perfect 3/4 backup.

Yep. It will be nice to have more of a platoon situation with three really good forwards as opposed to a back up where production really drops off.

Between Benny & Justin we got very little offensive production out of our PF position. If Zyair Davis comes on board he will be a vast improvement over what we got from that position this past year. As stated above, we would have a nice 3 even 4 man rotation if you include Westry along with Bell and Freeman.

He had the 16th best ORtg and 3rd best effective field goal % in the entire sport. And made 70% of his free throws. Impressive level of just saying chit with no regard for veracity.
He shot inside of three feet and was decent at foul shots

He had the 16th best ORtg and 3rd best effective field goal % in the entire sport. And made 70% of his free throws. Impressive level of just saying chit with no regard for veracity.
I love Maliq. Was my favorite player on this years team. But to compare him and Davis offensively is silly. Davis is a far more versatile scorer. You can't put the ball in Maliq's hands and say, "get us a bucket!" Maliq had very good hands and was good at dunking, crafty on the offensive glass, and good at catching and scoring oops. Completely different skillset from what Davis brings on the offensive end.

I guess we will find out next year as he plays for another team.

I do not believe Brown had nearly the athleticism nor the back-to-the-basket ability that Fair had. I don't think that is a very good comparison.

Brown was a good player. I think his ceiling was low. We'll find out soon enough.

The comparison was about how both players demonstrated high hoops IQ to avoid forcing / making dumb plays, not whether their games were similar.

Disappointed to see Brown leave. He was a good player -- probably the team's MIP -- and it will be interesting to see where he lands. I'm confident he'll produce at a high level no matter where he ends up, because that's what he does.

I love Maliq. Was my favorite player on this years team. But to compare him and Davis offensively is silly. Davis is a far more versatile scorer. You can't put the ball in Maliq's hands and say, "get us a bucket!" Maliq had very good hands and was good at dunking, crafty on the offensive glass, and good at catching and scoring oops. Completely different skillset from what Davis brings on the offensive end.
When did I compare Davis and Maliq? I said that calling Maliq an offensive liability was a factually incorrect statement.

The comparison was about how both players demonstrated high hoops IQ to avoid forcing / making dumb plays, not whether their games were similar.

Disappointed to see Brown leave. He was a good player -- probably the team's MIP -- and it will be interesting to see where he lands. I'm confident he'll produce at a high level no matter where he ends up, because that's what he does.
The most important question for us as Syracuse fans, is do the replacements that we get equate to more wins?

Because at the end of the day, we can split hairs about whether Brown should or shouldn't have stayed, or kept the same role, or been in a different one, etc. But we all want the Orange to win more games and make NCAA Tournaments... and eventually, Final Fours and contend for titles.

There’s no doubt that Freeman and Lampkin are huge upgrades over Taylor and Brown. Throw Davis in and the front court is much improved.

Davis makes it work because you actually have a true 5 deep frontcourt with McLeod the backup 5 and someone who does multiple things backing up the 3 and 4 and arguably 6 deep if Westry can be healthy to play minutes at the 3 as well. To me it’s about the sum of what we have next year vs last year opposed to the loss/gain of individuals. Can Red get it done with his guys and guys who will lock into what he wants to do? Can the off season development get the most out of each of these guys younger and older? We will learn a lot soon enough once hopefully Davis , Leffew and whoever else we bring in is here. To me still a big boost is can we get a summer trip planned after last years issue….

Davis makes it work because you actually have a true 5 deep frontcourt with McLeod the backup 5 and someone who does multiple things backing up the 3 and 4 and arguably 6 deep if Westry can be healthy to play minutes at the 3 as well. To me it’s about the sum of what we have next year vs last year opposed to the loss/gain of individuals. Can Red get it done with his guys and guys who will lock into what he wants to do? Can the off season development get the most out of each of these guys younger and older? We will learn a lot soon enough once hopefully Davis , Leffew and whoever else we bring in is here. To me still a big boost is can we get a summer trip planned after last years issue….
any word of a summer trip? We're eligible.

Also, from limited exposure, Cincinnati is a cool city and X has a nice campus.
Xavier has gotten some national notice regarding the campus.

The most dangerous college campuses​

University nameNumber of violent crimes on campus reported between 2019-2021*
1. University of Michigan, Ann Arbor1,468
2. Ohio State University583
3. UC Berkeley242
4. Xavier University240
5. University of Iowa225
6. Geisinger Commonwealth School of Medicine194
7. The Pennsylvania State University138
8. Stanford University138
9. Texas A & M University, College Station116
10. University of Minnesota, Twin Cities114
11. University of Southern California, University Park Campus111
12. University of New Mexico110
13. Vanderbilt University109
14. Auburn University108
15. Texas State University98
16. Texas Tech University, Lubbock96
17. The University of Alabama95
18. Drexel University, University City Campus90
19. University of Houston, Central Campus88
20. University of Arizona87

3. UC Berkeley242
4. Xavier University240
5. University of Iowa225
14. Auburn University108
Oh great, looks like I’m going to have to get back out there and start stabbing people on campus again. Must I do everything myself?

3. UC Berkeley242
4. Xavier University240
5. University of Iowa225
14. Auburn University108
Still a nice campus, but not a good look to be sure. Not sure how important that is to the male athletes.
W.T.F. is up with Ann Arbor? Did they list all of Juwan Howard’s stuff as crimes?

We visited Berkeley when my daughter was checking out Cali schools. During the tour they spent a lot of time talking about security, like a lot of time. My wife whispered to me that it is nice that they have a lot of security and I whispered back “I think there is a reason why”. I guess I was right!

3. UC Berkeley242
4. Xavier University240
5. University of Iowa225
14. Auburn University108
I live here and am more concerned when I’m by the Un

3. UC Berkeley242
4. Xavier University240
5. University of Iowa225
14. Auburn University108
i live here and am more concerned when I’m at or near the University of Cincinnati than X.

Between Benny & Justin we got very little offensive production out of our PF position. If Zyair Davis comes on board he will be a vast improvement over what we got from that position this past year. As stated above, we would have a nice 3 even 4 man rotation if you include Westry along with Bell and Freeman.
Impressive misspelling when his name is in the title of the page

Why?

We are a name brand, much more exposure, more fans, better league from top to bottom (in my opinion).

The last 5 years have been awful. The 5 years before that, we were at least relevant, made the tournament, made a Final Four, Sweet 16. While not up to my standard, we were still at least competitive.

We took a step to being competitive again this past year. We beat a top 20 team for the first time in what, 3 years? We have massive roster turnover, but that's not unlike many other programs.
We haven't been A name brand for the last 8 years. We have been a joke, everyone outside of Syracuse fans wondering when or if JB would ever retire.

My comp might be Harrison Ingram. Good size for a forward who is versatile and would be a nice complement to what we think we have in Freeman and Bell. I would prefer Darlinton Dubar, because he has better outside shooting history, but would be excited to see how Davis would fit for us. Again, would be nice to have a more senior laden, experienced team.

My comp might be Harrison Ingram. Good size for a forward who is versatile and would be a nice complement to what we think we have in Freeman and Bell. I would prefer Darlinton Dubar, because he has better outside shooting history, but would be excited to see how Davis would fit for us. Again, would be nice to have a more senior laden, experienced team.
Dubar would be replacing Bell in the starting lineup IMO and then potentially risking Bell transferring (which is a trade I would make) and then we could even still add Jyare too.

Dubar would be replacing Bell in the starting lineup IMO and then potentially risking Bell transferring (which is a trade I would make) and then we could even still add Jyare too.

If he is to replace Bell, then Red hasn’t been completely honest with Bell.

Jyare Davis is a 6'7 forward from Delaware who originally committed to Providence in 2020 (redshirt). He has been at Delaware since and is in the portal. ;)

View attachment 239590

Jyare would make a huge impact off the bench at either forward spot. He has one year of eligibility left. Why not come to Syracuse, play in the ACC, and go out on top?!? LGO!

Ideal portal guy. Mature with lots of experience. Stabilizing influence in the lockerroom filled with new guys. Good but not great skills. No chance of sniffing the NBA. Will come in, give us good minutes, and earn a paycheck before transitioning to Euro ball.