Class of 2020 - F Jyare Davis (DE) TRANSFERRING TO SYRACUSE (4/15/24) | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2020 F Jyare Davis (DE) TRANSFERRING TO SYRACUSE (4/15/24)

I think you could comfortably say that JJ, Bell, Freeman and Lampkin are all essentially locked in as starters. The fact that Bell hasn’t entered the portal at all tells you all you need to know

I'm really sick of this "locked in starters" discussion.

Did we have "locked in starters" last year, like we did with JB?

No, we didn't. There were 9 1/2 guys who, when healthy, we could expect to see on the floor.

Carey & Hima (the "1/2"), got to play more than 10 minutes a game.

Of the remaining 9 guys, we had 7 who could play about 20 - 30 minutes a game.

The other two (MacLeod and Cuffe) gave us decent depth and 10-15 minutes a game. That's 9 guys who played regularly, and nobody play excessively. Plus the 3rd and 4th centers, who made up half a guy over the course of the season.

It wasn't until we were down to 7 guys by the end of the season that the minutes went up significantly for Mintz, Starling and Maliq Brown.

Two years before, the year of the Boeheim Brothers, we had FOUR GUYS average 35-38 minutes a game, and two or three of them were in the Top 10 in minutes played for the whole country that season.

Then we had Jesse for 28 minutes a game, and 3 guys who were really just bench players - Symir Torrence, Frank Anselem and freshman Benny Williams, who got quite a few quick hooks. Those guys got only about 10 minutes a game, and were never real contributors; they were hardly part of the team.

This new coach plays more players fewer minutes. You get more depth that way, and players don't get so worn down and injured if you play enough of them over the course of the season, and don't overwork them when they're hurt.

Remember how many guys struggled through seasons on injured legs under Boeheim, or an injured shoulder? Matt Moyer, Bourama Sidibe, gosh, we could make a list.

Our team going forward is going to be 9 1/2 guys - 4 in the front court, 4 in the back court and a swing guy, and add 1/2 for your third center.

Those guys are mostly going to play 20-30 minutes a game. That allows 8 or 9 guys to get real minutes, not just one stretch in the first half, and maybe another appearance in the 2nd half if the game's not too close, like we used to see under later stage Boeheim.

We have room for 2 more front court players, and 2 more guards. We got the center we needed. We still need a "true" playmaker kind of PG. But we need a slasher scorer (Westry, or perhaps Gayle), and we need another 3 point shooter. If we can combine two of those things in 1 guy, then that's better.

But we have to fill those roles to have a complete roster. No one guy cures all our ills. No one guy should be "guaranteed" to start on the kind of team Red is trying to build. The best guys will get their minutes.

I see Red's future ideal team as Illinois 1989 that knocked us out of the Elite 8 - 8 guys who were wicked athletes, and were interchangeable, all between about 6-4 and 6-9 who could score and defend multiple positions. The old Denny Crum Louisville teams with the McCray brothers and Darrell Griffith were built that way, too.

Last edited:
I respect the staff for their due diligence but I need a Jyare commitment.
1712618474535.gif

So not a guarantee we get this kid but I think we have a real good shot. You likely start

SF-Bell
PF-Freeman
C-Lampkin

Davis and McLeod off the bench for the 3, 4 and 5. Westry can also play the back up SF.

What’s clear from last years Portal by adding McLeod and this year adding Lampkin and hopefully Davis, is that Autry wants the big, bulky guys that are gonna push people around instead of being pushed around. Davis and Lampkin are dudes that will back you down, push you around and get physical. Obviously McLeod is a mammoth of a human being but he’s not as physical as Davis and Lampkin but he obviously gives you the size and presence. Obviously Freeman isn’t as bulky as these guys but Freeman is a legit 6’10 power forward that is a freak athlete that no program in the country would say no too. So a rotation of forwards and center that are

SF-Bell and Westry
PF-Freeman and Davis
C- Lampkin and McLeod

That’s something you can really work with. Obviously a lot hinges on a healthy Westry. If Westry is healthy and plays like he is capable, he can potentially be the BIGGEST wild card this upcoming season. I don’t care who else we get. If we have a healthy Westry that plays like he is capable and hits shots. This team is going to another level

So not a guarantee we get this kid but I think we have a real good shot. You likely start

SF-Bell
PF-Freeman
C-Lampkin

Davis and McLeod off the bench for the 3, 4 and 5. Westry can also play the back up SF.

What’s clear from last years Portal by adding McLeod and this year adding Lampkin and hopefully Davis, is that Autry wants the big, bulky guys that are gonna push people around instead of being pushed around. Davis and Lampkin are dudes that will back you down, push you around and get physical. Obviously McLeod is a mammoth of a human being but he’s not as physical as Davis and Lampkin but he obviously gives you the size and presence. Obviously Freeman isn’t as bulky as these guys but Freeman is a legit 6’10 power forward that is a freak athlete that no program in the country would say no too. So a rotation of forwards and center that are

SF-Bell and Westry
PF-Freeman and Davis
C- Lampkin and McLeod

That’s something you can really work with. Obviously a lot hinges on a healthy Westry. If Westry is healthy and plays like he is capable, he can potentially be the BIGGEST wild card this upcoming season. I don’t care who else we get. If we have a healthy Westry that plays like he is capable and hits shots. This team is going to another level
As a backup McLeod is a valuable piece. I think this could be a good frontcourt.

SF-Bell
PF-Freeman
C-Lampkin

SF-Bell and Westry
PF-Freeman and Davis
C- Lampkin and McLeod

Is Davis scheduled to visit?

SF-Bell
PF-Freeman
C-Lampkin

SF-Bell and Westry
PF-Freeman and Davis
C- Lampkin and McLeod

Lots of worry on this board about Westry's health, which I get. Missed the bulk of two straight seasons. But remember, he is 21 years-old(!) and humans that age heal up pretty well. At least to my knowledge, this is not Bill Walton trying to coax an extra season out of his body for the 1986 Celtics or a pitcher coming off two Tommy John surgeries.

No guarantees, but I am confident he will play some high-level basketball for AA over the next 2 seasons. Also crazy that he will be embarking on his first full/healthy college hoops season next fall at the age of 22.

Xavier has gotten some national notice regarding the campus.

The most dangerous college campuses​

University nameNumber of violent crimes on campus reported between 2019-2021*
1. University of Michigan, Ann Arbor1,468
2. Ohio State University583
3. UC Berkeley242
4. Xavier University240
5. University of Iowa225
6. Geisinger Commonwealth School of Medicine194
7. The Pennsylvania State University138
8. Stanford University138
9. Texas A & M University, College Station116
10. University of Minnesota, Twin Cities114
11. University of Southern California, University Park Campus111
12. University of New Mexico110
13. Vanderbilt University109
14. Auburn University108
15. Texas State University98
16. Texas Tech University, Lubbock96
17. The University of Alabama95
18. Drexel University, University City Campus90
19. University of Houston, Central Campus88
20. University of Arizona87

Go B10. Leading the “charge”

That was pretty eye opening. You would think schools with that much money would have their security in a good place.

The list is pretty misleading, though, because it's not per capita. At first glance Michigan looks way less safe than any of the others. But Xavier is even worse despite having way fewer crimes - Xavier has 1 violent crime per 25 students over that period, Michigan is 1 per 35, Berkeley is 1 per 186.

Then the other variables are the reporting process, and I don't know how hard that is to quantify, and last but not least, how many of those crimes are committed against students. For example, when I was at SU, we all knew Thornden Park wasn't a safe place to be at night, but as far as I know most of that crime wasn't against students, and thus didn't necessarily reflect on campus safety.

The list is pretty misleading, though, because it's not per capita. At first glance Michigan looks way less safe than any of the others. But Xavier is even worse despite having way fewer crimes - Xavier has 1 violent crime per 25 students over that period, Michigan is 1 per 35, Berkeley is 1 per 186.

Then the other variables are the reporting process, and I don't know how hard that is to quantify, and last but not least, how many of those crimes are committed against students. For example, when I was at SU, we all knew Thornden Park wasn't a safe place to be at night, but as far as I know most of that crime wasn't against students, and thus didn't necessarily reflect on campus safety.
The per capita list is right behind it.

Not sure it is great to be on either but I agree, the per capita is worse.

I just threw this out because I saw the merits of the Xavier campus being debated and thought it would be interesting to see if it showed up in a google search.

I don't know any details about the methodology. Just providing some data to consider regarding some schools.

SF-Bell
PF-Freeman
C-Lampkin

SF-Bell and Westry
PF-Freeman and Davis
C- Lampkin and McLeod

You'd like to see more 3 point shooting, because Davis is in interior guy on offense, and Freeman will still only be a freshman. Even if he's another Dontae Greene, he was a 3 point threat, but not dependable from downtown.

I would like this group more if we could add that Freshman from IMG, Freeman's friend Khani Rooths, a 6-8 SF. That would be a solid group.