Class of 2020 - F Jyare Davis (DE) TRANSFERRING TO SYRACUSE (4/15/24) | Page 8 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2020 F Jyare Davis (DE) TRANSFERRING TO SYRACUSE (4/15/24)

Yup. The biggest issue with this years team is that not enough players stuck to what Red wanted to do.

Flynn and Harris drove JB crazy changing okays on both ends of the court and freelancing. JB ended up purging the roster at the end of one of their seasons.

Red is doing the same.

I tend to agree. Bell needs to be on the court to keep people honest. Freeman is starting…. Davis gives us a player who may end up finishing games more often than not.

Yep… didn’t say he couldn’t play more mins in a couple games either but no chance he’s starting

As much as I'm a little concerned by how much he struggled against teams that had size/athleticism, it will be really nice to have an actual frontcourt player off the bench after we just finished the regular season with one frontcourt guy in the rotation. I don't think it can really be stated enough how much our lack of size/toughness hurt us.

Another thing I think Red is trying to change is the ball got stuck in our players hands to often than not. The ball movement was pretty bad most of the season. JJ is a willing passer, Leffew is an above average passer. What I’m most excited about is Lampkin and Davis are extremely good passers for bigs. They are bulky guys that can back a guy down but they are willing passers and very good passers. I think when Lampkin and Davis are in together you will see a lot of big to big action.

Freeman is going to be a bucket getter, starling will also be a bucket getter, and we know Bell is going to shoot lights out. I think Westry and Davis being the two main guys off the bench is a HUGE plus. I think it’s pretty clear right away what everyone’s roles will be too.

Another thing I will say is I don’t think we’ll have that one elite scorer on our team where everything goes through them. Where they average 18-20 ppg. We’ve seen that a bunch the last 10 or seasons. Whether it’s Judah, Buddy, Hughes, Battle, etc….

Our best teams and truly any good team has about 4-5 guys that average between 12-15 ppg. I think we’ll have that next season.

Early prediction; Freeman, Starling, Leffew, and Lampkin will average 12-15 ppg.
I think Westry, Bell and Davis will average 7-10 ppg. That’s my early thoughts.

PC seems pretty confident too?
PC fans just wants him to marfo back to PC as a running joke. He started out as a redshirt freshman there but transferred before ever playing there

Another thing I think Red is trying to change is the ball got stuck in our players hands to often than not. The ball movement was pretty bad most of the season. JJ is a willing passer, Leffew is an above average passer. What I’m most excited about is Lampkin and Davis are extremely good passers for bigs. They are bulky guys that can back a guy down but they are willing passers and very good passers. I think when Lampkin and Davis are in together you will see a lot of big to big action.

Freeman is going to be a bucket getter, starling will also be a bucket getter, and we know Bell is going to shoot lights out. I think Westry and Davis being the two main guys off the bench is a HUGE plus. I think it’s pretty clear right away what everyone’s roles will be too.

Another thing I will say is I don’t think we’ll have that one elite scorer on our team where everything goes through them. Where they average 18-20 ppg. We’ve seen that a bunch the last 10 or seasons. Whether it’s Judah, Buddy, Hughes, Battle, etc….

Our best teams and truly any good team has about 4-5 guys that average between 12-15 ppg. I think we’ll have that next season.

Early prediction; Freeman, Starling, Leffew, and Lampkin will average 12-15 ppg.
Call me crazy but I think Bell and Starling will probably be the leading scorers on next year’s team. I don’t think Bell will be in the 7-10ppg range. I would think 15+. When he was scoring, we won games.

Call me crazy but I think Bell and Starling will probably be the leading scorers on next year’s team. I don’t think Bell will be in the 7-10ppg range. I would think 15+. When he was scoring, we won games.
I agree. Bell averaged 13 without a post player. If he gets open shots, he could easily average five made threes a game. People need to realize that Bell is an elite three point shooter. He’s going to be a junior. His confidence and improvement will only get better. I think Starling is going to explode next year. A full year of finally being healthy and has the off season to continue to refine his shooting stroke.

We are going from being one of the smallest ACC teams with a potential starting lineup of 6’5”, 6’4”, 6’7”, 6’9”, and 6’11”. We haven’t had this size in years. Rebounding and defense should be substantially better. If you can rebound, you can run. Should be fun.

I guess the question I have is either of these players better than Judah or Brown? I’d say probably no so how does this make our team better? And he’s picking an out at Mary’s head coach? Idk I’m not thrilled to be honest

I guess the question I have is either of these players better than Judah or Brown? I’d say probably no so how does this make our team better? And he’s picking an out at Mary’s head coach? Idk I’m not thrilled to be honest
If the pieces fit better they are greater than the sum of their parts.

Guys in the right spots with more complementary skill sets + a McDonalds AA and an actual center gives this team higher upside IMHO.

Any point guard who will share is a better team fit than Judah.
Davis doesn’t replace Brown. Lampkin does, and yes, he will be a better fit for SU because of his bulk and style of play.
Freeman replaces Brown, and Davis replaces Taylor.
As has been said, if Brown stayed, Bell likely would have left, because neither was staying without starting.
The board angst over Brown is interesting. He is a nice complementary player on a good team. He was a star for us because of the lack of quality front court players, not because he is a 1st round pick. Remember, coming out of summer workouts and pre-season, Brown was not a starter.

It depends on what you mean by play better? One of those guys wasn't playing the way he was coached to play. I think its an addition by subtraction with him.

The other guy played well but was out of position and simply undermanned on defense in the post. He would have been a great piece to have back but he he saw two guys coming in that would play big minutes.

Any point guard who will share is a better team fit than Judah.
Davis doesn’t replace Brown. Lampkin does, and yes, he will be a better fit for SU because of his bulk and style of play.
Freeman replaces Brown, and Davis replaces Taylor.
As has been said, if Brown stayed, Bell likely would have left, because neither was staying without starting.
The board angst over Brown is interesting. He is a nice complementary player on a good team. He was a star for us because of the lack of quality front court players, not because he is a 1st round pick. Remember, coming out of summer workouts and pre-season, Brown was not a starter.

I think Bell was always staying because the staff made keeping him a priority, and rightly so IMO. You know you can get shooting/scoring from Bell. He has steadily inched along improving in the other aspects of his game and will continue to do so.

JJ being able to push pace and score in transition will be a benefit too. He didn’t get to do that enough this year. We didn’t leverage his speed because Judah refused to push it a lot.

I agree. Bell averaged 13 without a post player. If he gets open shots, he could easily average five made threes a game. People need to realize that Bell is an elite three point shooter. He’s going to be a junior. His confidence and improvement will only get better. I think Starling is going to explode next year. A full year of finally being healthy and has the off season to continue to refine his shooting stroke.

We are going from being one of the smallest ACC teams with a potential starting lineup of 6’5”, 6’4”, 6’7”, 6’9”, and 6’11”. We haven’t had this size in years. Rebounding and defense should be substantially better. If you can rebound, you can run. Should be fun.
Yeah, I like the size in the frontcourt and backcourt. I agree that Starling should take a huge jump on offense. He needs to be a good 3 point shooter next season, and he showed that for the second half of last season he can knock them down. He’s also got to improve his defense by leaps and bounds. As for Bell, as you said, the kid is an ELITE 3-point shooter. I’m hoping he works during the off season to improve his 3-point shooting while coming off screens. As our coaches pointed out, his numbers dropped when he’s shooting on the move, so that’s something he needs to focus on. Plus improving his defense and rebounding will be key (I think he needs to bulk up a bit).

I think Bell was always staying because the staff made keeping him a priority, and rightly so IMO. You know you can get shooting/scoring from Bell. He has steadily inched along improving in the other aspects of his game and will continue to do so.
I've been wondering how much leeway Bell is going to be afforded on the defensive end? At what point does he see the bench if the defense doesn't improve & continues to be a liability? Yes, his shooting is elite but i saw a lot of poor effort this year which is a moral killer (a few chase down blocks aside). In my opinion, he'll need a big improvement to be average.

First, Lampkin is Brown's replacement. Not Davis. Davis is just an add. As for the pt guard. Judah is a talented guy. But he didn't pass and he couldn't shoot. Leffew will do both. It's about whether the team will be better next year. We are bigger all over the court. Lampkin will give us more than Brown. Freeman will give us a lot more than Taylor. Honestly, we are a lot better. How many more wins...hard to say. But we won't be getting blown off the floor like we did this year.

I agreed with most of your post, until you suggested Bell will be at best our fifth leading scorer.

Bell attempted only 6 threes per game in conference play last year... He was 50 attempts behind the other percentage leaders in the conference. Bell was severely underused, mostly because Mintz and Copeland were so ball dominant, partly because he didn't do enough to get open.

I think it highly likely Bell is among the leaders in attempts in the conference, shooting at least 8 threes per game. For him to average less than 10ppg, he would have to shoot worse than ever in his career, and somehow take no twos or ever get a free throw attempt.

I think it's likely he leads the team in scoring, as his usage increases, and his efficiency suffers only slightly because of the better ball movement the different players around him will bring.

15 ppg would be pretty small increase for Bell next year, easily within reach.

I agree about how the scoring will be spread out more than most seasons. This team could be like the 09-10 team, only in that team had 7 players averaging 8 points or more.

Bell, Lampkin, Freeman, Davis, Starling, Leffew and Westry/Moore (depending on Westry's health) could all be scorers averaging at least 8. We also could have one of those years where 7-8 different guys are high scorer for at least one game... Especially because we are so three point dependant.

Would anybody be shocked if Moore came off the bench as our 9th man in the rotation and somehow goes 8-9 from 3 to lead us to a win?

Last edited: