Class of 2020 - F Jyare Davis (DE) TRANSFERRING TO SYRACUSE (4/15/24) | Page 11 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2020 F Jyare Davis (DE) TRANSFERRING TO SYRACUSE (4/15/24)

Jyare Davis is a 6'7 forward from Delaware who originally committed to Providence in 2020 (redshirt). He has been at Delaware since and is in the portal. ;)

View attachment 239590

Jyare would make a huge impact off the bench at either forward spot. He has one year of eligibility left. Why not come to Syracuse, play in the ACC, and go out on top?!? LGO!
I thought we needed a shooter at the point?

SeasonSchool3P%
2021-22Delaware.100
2022-23Delaware.262
2023-24Delaware.256
CareerDelaware.246

Last edited:
Lampkin is going to be the best offensive threat we have had in the post in a looong time

Will he? Per 40 he only averaged 2ppg more than Brown and Brown shot much better. Wish we had them both. They are totally different players which would have been a good thing depending upon the opponent/situation. I’d also take Jesse.

I also believe someone pointed out his defensive metrics were much better when he was at TCU.

Not really much better. Better but still not as good as our bigs this year. They got worse every year too.

Will he? Per 40 he only averaged 2ppg more than Brown and Brown shot much better. Wish we had them both. They are totally different players which would have been a good thing depending upon the opponent/situation. I’d also take Jesse.
Maliq was never a post threat and Jesse wasn’t that good of a passer

Totally agree and my (extremely positive) thoughts on Maliq have been made very clear on here, I believe. I actually think they would have paired perfectly together, especially with what we saw this year from Maliq shooting from deep.

When I say "in the post" I'm talking straight post up, nothing else. Bucket off an entry. Could have made that more clear. I would also take Jesse in a heartbeat.

First, Lampkin is Brown's replacement. Not Davis. Davis is just an add. As for the pt guard. Judah is a talented guy. But he didn't pass and he couldn't shoot. Leffew will do both. It's about whether the team will be better next year. We are bigger all over the court. Lampkin will give us more than Brown. Freeman will give us a lot more than Taylor. Honestly, we are a lot better. How many more wins...hard to say. But we won't be getting blown off the floor like we did this year.
Just a point of context, in a perfect world, Brown is a 6th man glue guy on a very good team. Davis hopefully fills that role…so I get when people view him as filling the proper role that Brown had.

I also understand the context that Lampkin is a 5 and replacing Brown who was our starting five, though he began the year as a 6th man glue guy.

Make sense?

Saying Lampkin will give us more than Brown is a crazy take. Totally ignoring defense
What? Brown was great when he could poke and prod and disrupt bigs when they were outside the post. But he was absolutely abused by bigs who established position and had any semblance of an offensive game. He was just too small and did not play above the rim.

I get the “all-defensive” player stuff, but it was because he was crazy effective defending like a 4, not a 5 in the post - which is where Lampkin will be much better defensively- which is what a 5 needs to defend.

Maliq, was an all-world defender at the 4, he was below average defender at the 5.

Last edited:
People forget, but Rautins got a lot of crap here until his senior year which was just so good nobody could complain about it.

People dug into that nepotism foxhole and stayed there despite Rautins being a good player. He had to be great for people to give up on it.
he did have a good senior year

but playing time at syracuse used to be really hard to get (at least generally)

seems its moving back in that direction (thankfully)

What? Brown was great when he could poke and prod and disrupt bigs when they were outside the post. But he was absolutely abused by bigs who established position and had any semblance of an offensive game. He was just too small and did not play above the rim.

I get the “all-defensive” player stuff, but it was because he was crazy effective defending like a 4, not a 5 in the post - which is where Lampkin will be much better defensively- which is what a 5 needs to defend.

Maliq, was an all-world defender at the 4, he was below average defender at the 5.

I’ll agree to disagree. Maliq played the 5 all year and the numbers are what they are. In totality, Maliq was an effective defender at the 5 due to those pokes and being able to hedge effectively up top. I agree he got abused on the post occasionally. But overall he was effective. I expect Lampkin to be on the move on D. A lot. Especially with how JJ and Bell defend

I’ll agree to disagree. Maliq played the 5 all year and the numbers are what they are. In totality, Maliq was an effective defender at the 5 due to those pokes and being able to hedge effectively up top. I agree he got abused on the post occasionally. But overall he was effective. I expect Lampkin to be on the move on D. A lot. Especially with how JJ and Bell defend
Then why did the coaching staff bring in Lampkin?

Early prediction; Freeman, Starling, Leffew, and Lampkin will average 12-15 ppg.
I think Westry, Bell and Davis will average 7-10 ppg. That’s my early thoughts.
I predict Bell, who will benefit from playing with better passers, will outscore Starling who I think will lose some PT to Moore. But I fully agree otherwise.

Post offense to play off Bell.
Freeman needs to play 4 with Bell at 3

Also I’m not discounting Lampkin on D at all as a rebounder. But he simply doesn’t create turnovers the way Maliq does. He has maybe the worst block percentage I’ve seen a valid center have. I get why they wanted the size though. I simply don’t believe he will give us more than Maliq overall.

Last edited:
Right?

We had one guy who was looney tunes, and had to be dismissed mid-season.

And we had two others [3 actually, 1 of whom hasn't portaled out] who -- while not being bad kids in the eyes of the coaching staff -- were divisive in the locker room, didn't listen to the coach's instructions on the court, and were passive aggressive about undermining his authority. Hint: Maliq Brown wasn't one of the three.

Addition by subtraction, for sure.
In my mind, I believe there was a lot of negativity directed at Taylor by teammates in the “Benny camp”, which affected his psyche, leading to his bad shooting. The kid was a mess all year. This was a theory of mine early in the season, and while I have no knowledge of it, the things that are being hinted at leads to believe it’s more likely to be true than not.

Nice to have I guess, but if Davis is any more than a bench guy we are in trouble. Seems unrealistic to expect his rebounding numbers to translate to the ACC, but with Judah gone we need a guy who can attack the rim and he fits the bill.

Nice to have I guess, but if Davis is any more than a bench guy we are in trouble. Seems unrealistic to expect his rebounding numbers to translate to the ACC, but with Judah gone we need a guy who can attack the rim and he fits the bill.
Yeah I’m a tad worried when Freeman gets in foul trouble or needs rest, we don't have enough height backing him up which could hurt rebounding and D. Specifically vs. top tier teams

Post offense to play off Bell.
Freeman needs to play 4 with Bell at 3

Also I’m not discounting Lampkin on D at all as a rebounder. But he simply doesn’t create turnovers the way Maliq does. He has maybe the worst block percentage I’ve seen a valid center have. I get why the wanted they size though. I simply don’t believe he will give us more than Maliq overall.
I‘m not worried about Lampkin not being a shot blocker. For all the block shots you go for and don’t get, all it does is allow weak side rebounds. Playing good position defense without fouling keeps in you in better rebounding position. Blocks are nice. Getting three a game but giving up 3-4 weak side dunks doesn’t balance out. If you want blocks, we can play McLeod because he can block 5-6 a game if he gets minutes.

I‘m not worried about Lampkin not being a shot blocker. For all the block shots you go for and don’t get, all it does is allow weak side rebounds. Playing good position defense without fouling keeps in you in better rebounding position. Blocks are nice. Getting three a game but giving up 3-4 weak side dunks doesn’t balance out. If you want blocks, we can play McLeod because he can block 5-6 a game if he gets minutes.
As long as we play better defense/force tough shots and can actually be a good rebounding team, I'll be happy. I'd take solid defense, good rebounding, and bad shot blocking over bad defense, terrible rebounding, and good shot blocking.

Who cares if Lamkin can't block shots. We have Mccleod in a back up role to bring that dimension to the team. I'm so tired of seeing SU pounded on the boards because we have a 6'8" 190 lb. center. Brown did have some other defensive skills that Lampkin may not have in terms of his mobility but I'll take that trade off.

On the offensive end, when's the last time we've had a post up big that could back his way to the basket with a scoring threat in the low post. The ability to dump the ball into the low post will also open up shooting possibilities out on the perimeter for Bell & company.

Who cares if Lamkin can't block shots. We have Mccleod in a back up role to bring that dimension to the team. I'm so tired of seeing SU pounded on the boards because we have a 6'8" 190 lb. center. Brown did have some other defensive skills that Lampkin may not have in terms of his mobility but I'll take that trade off.

On the offensive end, when's the last time we've had a post up big that could back his way to the basket with a scoring threat in the low post. The ability to dump the ball into the low post will also open up shooting possibilities out on the perimeter for Bell & company.

The numbers say Brown was every bit as good on the defensive boards. Almost exactly even. Taking into account minutes played Lampkin got 1 more defensive board on the season.

The numbers say Brown was every bit as good on the defensive boards. Almost exactly even. Taking into account minutes played Lampkin got 1 more defensive board on the season.
Unless Red convinces Bell, that if he doesn't rebound he doesn't play we still will get killed on the boards.

Options. How many choices do you think they had at the 5? I could have asked Gisele to my prom, but she wasn't going to go with me, ya know?

You take who you can get.

Hopefully this helps Bell and Freeman. I don't think it will that much, but I'm not the coach.

Lampkin's block % and steal % are minuscule. His defensive metrics are not good for where he plays.

I can't imagine anyone seeing his stats from last year and actually thinking this guy was going to do something on defense for us. So it has to be all offense. But a big at that size with a PER under 20 isn't a guy you build around (it's 16.1!!!!).

So, why'd they get him? You take the date that says yes, that's why.