Facilities Upgrade | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Facilities Upgrade

The domes great when it's sold out and rockin. Hasn't been that way in a while - big east games vs miami are last time I remember it super loud.

I think the big lot is huge. It's part of a creating a culture of tailgating. You want to see that everyone else is setting up and in for the long haul. You want to see everyone grilling. Drinking hanging out and having their own parties. It inspires copycats and the movement grows. That said, you also need to be able to walk to the game after a tailgate. The having to wait for a bus kills the atmosphere too

No, it should be located in Syracuse, i just wish it was up on Sky Top for a better fan experience before and after the game.

It will be eventually.

Sent using my Commodore 64 on Tapatalk 5.3

The domes great when it's sold out and rockin. Hasn't been that way in a while - big east games vs miami are last time I remember it super loud.

I think the big lot is huge. It's part of a creating a culture of tailgating. You want to see that everyone else is setting up and in for the long haul. You want to see everyone grilling. Drinking hanging out and having their own parties. It inspires copycats and the movement grows. That said, you also need to be able to walk to the game after a tailgate. The having to wait for a bus kills the atmosphere too

I agree. Went to a bowl game in Charlotte a number of years ago. Wake Forest was playing. When I saw the Wake Forest tailgaters it sent shivers down my spine. As far as the eye could see, nothing but black and gold flags, tents etc. looked like a scene right out of medevil times... Just fantastic. The atmosphere was incredible. Huge lot for tailgating is the only way to go. The more, the merrier

SU should look into taking over a large part of Oakwood Cemetery that us adjacent to ESF. Used to park there in early 90's when they allowed tailgating. (Yeah, little weird to throw a football between headstones.). Huge potential parking lot & a short flat walk to Dome.

The area I'm talking about is all very old graves. Remains & stones could be tastefully relocated to another section. While I recognize the ghoul factor, things like this have been done before & can be done right. (History with Native American grave sites bad. History with pauper grave sites by OCC good.).

And even if athletics go to Skytop eventually, it would still make great staff/student parking.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SU should look into taking over a large part of Oakwood Cemetery that us adjacent to ESF. Used to park there in early 90's when they allowed tailgating. (Yeah, little weird to throw a football between headstones.). Huge potential parking lot & a short flat walk to Dome.

The area I'm talking about is all very old graves. Remains & stones could be tastefully relocated to another section. While I recognize the ghoul factor, things like this have been done before & can be done right. (History with Native American grave sites bad. History with pauper grave sites by OCC good.).

And even if athletics go to Skytop eventually, it would still make great staff/student parking.

LOL...funniest post about SU parking I have seen! Relocate the dead! Thank you!

Relocate them under the dome, that way we can count them in our attendance numbers.

Also, they may cheer louder than some of our current fans.

You're a diehard. Before joining this site I had no clue that there was parking at Manley and I'm still not totally sure were the "party" is at.
I have never parked at Manley so i can't even tell you what happens there. I do know what what happens in my permit lot. Sounds like you really don't go to games if you didn't even realize there was parking at Manley...so hard for you to know what happens up there. Try it out...buy some season tickets and have a tailgate. In addition, winning and getting more fans will help tailgating too.

Relocate them under the dome, that way we can count them in our attendance numbers.

fantastic post nice to wake up laughing

I agree with the LOL factor. Still, the fact us that such "relocation" has, is, and will happen in many places and for reasons less trivial than giving a landlocked university more space.

Having said that, I know when to quit while I'm behind, so I'll close with the words if that great philosopher Jackson Browne (as sung by the Nitty Gritty Dirt Band), "Gravestones cheer the living dear, they're no use to the dead."

No. We're not TN.

"I tell you, golf courses and cemeteries are the biggest wastes of prime real estate" - Al Czervik.

i don't think the dome is dark on tv because of the lighting its more because of the color of the field turf

I agree with the LOL factor. Still, the fact us that such "relocation" has, is, and will happen in many places and for reasons less trivial than giving a landlocked university more space.

I understand where you were going but in the context of tailgating, parking, and the fact that it's a very historic cemetery...it's pretty funny.

With that said, I think people who want a better experience on the hill sometimes overlook the obvious...winning cures a lot of ills. Winning will get more people to games and that will enhance the atmosphere before the game. Will it be like the SEC? Nope. But I don't think that would happen no matter what. As for the talk about a new stadium... here we are talking about a $15M practice facility and the difficulty funding that... so talking about a e.g. $500M new dome in a new location to replace a dome that is no where near it's end of life is just talk. And people saying that we should have an open air stadium (ok...so "only" $350M) would require a new basketball arena to replace our most successful, huge sports venue ...would add another couple hundred $million...unless we keep both domes. We have a good stadium. Let's talk practical things that can actually improve the experience.

I understand where you were going but in the context of tailgating, parking, and the fact that it's a very historic cemetery...it's pretty funny.

With that said, I think people who want a better experience on the hill sometimes overlook the obvious...winning cures a lot of ills. Winning will get more people to games and that will enhance the atmosphere before the game. Will it be like the SEC? Nope. But I don't think that would happen no matter what. As for the talk about a new stadium... here we are talking about a $15M practice facility and the difficulty funding that... so talking about a e.g. $500M new dome in a new location to replace a dome that is no where near it's end of life is just talk. And people saying that we should have an open air stadium (ok...so "only" $350M) would require a new basketball arena to replace our most successful, huge sports venue ...would add another couple hundred $million...unless we keep both domes. We have a good stadium. Let's talk practical things that can actually improve the experience.

Agree. You start winning consistently and lots of this stuff will take care of itself. The University (and this board to an small extent) can help by recognizing the sticking points to the experience and making it better.

I don't want to be the SEC - I want to have our own unique game day experience. (Though some pulled smoked meat and sun is helpful :))

How about this. The band has a well-marked bus...it drops off a segment of the band at various tailgate locations. At about the time people are packing up and walking to the dome (say, 20-30 minutes prior to the start), these band groups all start to march to the dome with fans following along cheering. When they get to the dome, they converge and play the fight song before going in. Cost= almost nothing. I think it would add some cohesiveness between fans and the university and enhance the game-day experience if it became a tradition that people counted on. I think a bunch of ideas like this (maybe not necessarily this one, but similar) will help with the overall dome experience.

I have never parked at Manley so i can't even tell you what happens there. I do know what what happens in my permit lot. Sounds like you really don't go to games if you didn't even realize there was parking at Manley...so hard for you to know what happens up there. Try it out...buy some season tickets and have a tailgate. In addition, winning and getting more fans will help tailgating too.

I didn't go to the university, and always parked in the garage by Marshall St, so I never had to drive any further south. Coming from 81 N, you follow the signs for DOME parking and thats where they take you, they don't take you to Manley. So how could I have known? Like I said, the AVERAGE fan doesn't know a lot about the program or the in's and out's like alums and experienced diehards. Alums lived in the area for four years or more so they know that area better than people who live in Oswego or somewhere else.

I didn't go to the university, and always parked in the garage by Marshall St, so I never had to drive any further south. Coming from 81 N, you follow the signs for DOME parking and thats where they take you, they don't take you to Manley. So how could I have known? Like I said, the AVERAGE fan doesn't know a lot about the program or the in's and out's like alums and experienced diehards. Alums lived in the area for four years or more so they know that area better than people who live in Oswego or somewhere else.
http://suathletics.com/sports/2009/2/3/GEN_0203091103.aspx

I'm with Tomcat on this one.

I think the Dome is the best football venue I have been to in both college and professional football.

Every seat is a good one and the atmosphere is truly great when the Orange is playing well and there are some folks in the seats.

Next year should be fun.

Agreed, I love the Dome and think it's one of the best stadiums in the nation. Louder than anyplace I've ever been and every seat in the house is a great seat unlike say Michigan.

The only stadiums I've liked as much as the Dome was Boulder, Colorado - and that was really only because of the setting and then the Swamp.