Family atmosphere? | Syracusefan.com

Family atmosphere?

Crusty

Living Legend
I have to admit, I never understood what that means in the context of a D1 football program.

Crusty said:
I have to admit, I never understood what that means in the context of a D1 football program.

Is this a real question?

Yes it absolutely is. What is different about us?
Well, I think in some cases, the coaches are aloof. Others view it as a corporation. Has anyone ever referred to our hoop program as a family.

Crusty said:
Yes it absolutely is. What is different about us?

That's a different question than you originally asked. I'll try to answer both:

1. Family as it pertains to D1 football is the feeling that you belong, have each other's back, etc. Leaders strive to build this dynamic into a group - usually happiness, efficiency, etc follow. In a team sport environment the benefits allow you to fight through the selfish "me first" attitude that degrades teamwork. It's really hard to create this dynamic because humans (maybe especially in sports) are prideful at best and arrogant at worst. New members of a group would be highly aware of a lack of this dynamic and are looking for signs that they don't belong. Which leads to:

2. If I were to guess, I'd say the relationships our coaches have with each other is the reason recruits are responding the way they are. They are intentional in putting this dynamic out there (inviting their families, taking about it, baby doll).

If I were to guess its a dynamic that exists in one way or another in all successful teams.

Then I guess it boils down to the band knowing each other for so long and projecting that friendship and respect. Their closeness shows well. Pretty much what I surmised but wasn't sure I wasn't missing something. Thanks.

That's a different question than you originally asked. I'll try to answer both:

1. Family as it pertains to D1 football is the feeling that you belong, have each other's back, etc. Leaders strive to build this dynamic into a group - usually happiness, efficiency, etc follow. In a team sport environment the benefits allow you to fight through the selfish "me first" attitude that degrades teamwork. It's really hard to create this dynamic because humans (maybe especially in sports) are prideful at best and arrogant at worst. New members of a group would be highly aware of a lack of this dynamic and are looking for signs that they don't belong. Which leads to:

2. If I were to guess, I'd say the relationships our coaches have with each other is the reason recruits are responding the way they are. They are intentional in putting this dynamic out there (inviting their families, taking about it, baby doll).

If I were to guess its a dynamic that exists in one way or another in all successful teams.
Good Post. And every college football team has a 'family' atmosphere which appeals to the different players that commit to those programs. To think only Syracuse has a family atmosphere and everyone else attracts recruits in selfish and negative ways is somewhat xenophobic and insular.

I don't think people realized how fractionalized/segmented athletics gets once you reach the college level. You bring kids together with numerous ages, academic aptitudes, from different locations, etc. Many have been not only the best player at their respective schools, but sometimes the best in their league, county, state, etc. Now you expect them to blend. The coaches are "professionals," meaning they often have their own agendas. Then you add that to how compartmentalized football is. I had a friend who was a defensive player at a major D-1 program. In High School, he was recruited by guys like Ed Orgeron and Urban Meyer back when they were position coaches. He would tell me that he often didnt know players on the offensive side of the ball, because they seldom interacted in practices and during games. He wasnt some aloof loner or ego maniac- a genuinely nice guy.

I think there are programs that pride themselves on being preps for the pros - USC, Alabama, etc (maybe even Syracuse under Marrone). At those places, you are informed of your duties and responsibilities, and it is incumbent on you to perform. If you dont, well, "next man up." Other programs offer more of a sense of togetherness. I think SU really tries to sell this to recruits. It helps that the coaches genuinely care about each other and Coach Shafer seems to want to get the best out of everyone, not just use them for his own advancement.

Sudano said:
Good Post. And every college football team has a 'family' atmosphere which appeals to the different players that commit to those programs. To think only Syracuse has a family atmosphere and everyone else attracts recruits in selfish and negative ways is somewhat xenophobic and insular.

Agreed. Didn't want to give that impression.

I do think our coaches are so good at it because it's authentic - and that exists at other schools too.

There are quite a few mercenaries out there as well. Coaches more focused on look what I did more than look what we did. NC State's current wr coach gave off that vibe, ohio states head coach left Florida for "family reasons" only to take another job shortly, Marylands coach left in the middle of the night and didn't even face his former players, Kentuckys hoops coach is well known to get out of dodge right before sanctions hit, notre dames football coach has the quickest release ever when throwing someone else under the bus, etc.

The coaches that care about their staff and players usually talk in us and we when things are going well and I and me when they aren't to deflect scruntiny. The ones that care more about themselves are quick to take credit while being just as quick to dodge blame.

Humility is learned trait and probably tougher to keep when someone is at the top of your game when ego can be overwhelming. I think this is what our current staff has and may be the driving factor in future hires givin what happened when we've colored outside those lines in the past. You succeed as a team but if the boat is going down the captain has to be the last off while saving as many others as they can.

Family atmosphere is much different at Syracuse. Every team talks about the kids playing being a family and bonding as brothers. But at Syracuse it goes beyond that into the staff. From baby doll learning what the kids like and preparing them bag lunches or bag breakfasts if they have an early class... BC had a table they put out for the all athletes to eat off after that it was the regular cafes and I doubt they would know what any of the kids like.

Its the coaches on the visits having their family at the official visits..there was like 8 kids under 7 at the dinner and game. According to Missy Shafer the other schools they have been at that would never be allowed.

Its Coach Shaffer telling the kids his door is always open. I have heard many stories of teams where the head coach just doesnt spend anytime with the kids. You have a problem see your position coach.

Its when the coaches come to the house and don't mention football the entire time they are there... Or thats what some of the kids tell me ... I make them talk football

Its Coach Lea running an all inclusive faith night every Thursday. I havent heard of any other coaches doing that for the kids at any school...thought it could be possible I just havent heard of it.

Its Coach Shafer having the kids over his house for a BBQ and to use the pool..I would bet Coach Harbaugh isnt doing that this summer.

There are probably 100 more example I know of and 100 more I have no idea about...I guess the best way to sum up the family atmosphere is when you talk to the coaches and tell them you are worried about your son heading off to college and they tell you they will take care of them for you...you believe it. When the coach say to you they are going to have a hard time adjusting to life without mom or dad but Im here to guide them and pick up where you brought them ...you feel ok letting them go. And when you tell them your kid might need help with something and they tell you they already know and they will help them through it... you know they really will. Its about feeling like your kid is going to stay with a family member who will look out for them and guide them to the next stage of life when you are just far enough away to not be able to do it yourself. It truly does feel like a family.

Family atmosphere is much different at Syracuse. Every team talks about the kids playing being a family and bonding as brothers. But at Syracuse it goes beyond that into the staff. From baby doll learning what the kids like and preparing them bag lunches or bag breakfasts if they have an early class... BC had a table they put out for the all athletes to eat off after that it was the regular cafes and I doubt they would know what any of the kids like.

Its the coaches on the visits having their family at the official visits..there was like 8 kids under 7 at the dinner and game. According to Missy Shafer the other schools they have been at that would never be allowed.

Its Coach Shaffer telling the kids his door is always open. I have heard many stories of teams where the head coach just doesnt spend anytime with the kids. You have a problem see your position coach.

Its when the coaches come to the house and don't mention football the entire time they are there... Or thats what some of the kids tell me ... I make them talk football

Its Coach Lea running an all inclusive faith night every Thursday. I havent heard of any other coaches doing that for the kids at any school...thought it could be possible I just havent heard of it.

Its Coach Shafer having the kids over his house for a BBQ and to use the pool..I would bet Coach Harbaugh isnt doing that this summer.

There are probably 100 more example I know of and 100 more I have no idea about...I guess the best way to sum up the family atmosphere is when you talk to the coaches and tell them you are worried about your son heading off to college and they tell you they will take care of them for you...you believe it. When the coach say to you they are going to have a hard time adjusting to life without mom or dad but Im here to guide them and pick up where you brought them ...you feel ok letting them go. And when you tell them your kid might need help with something and they tell you they already know and they will help them through it... you know they really will. Its about feeling like your kid is going to stay with a family member who will look out for them and guide them to the next stage of life when you are just far enough away to not be able to do it yourself. It truly does feel like a family.

John, your post should be titled "Why my Son Chose Syracuse". You nailed it.

The rest of us thank the 3 of you for spending so much time with us during the recruiting cycle. In my 50+ years of following Syracuse University Sports, this has been a great experience.
Its great to be here! Thank you guys for being here to share all the information you guys have. Especially early on in this process all the info that was shared from stories of players and coaches to tailgating and hotel info. Where to eat who to buy apparel from. You guys have made this much easier. When I first decided to read here I was just looking for info on who the coaches where looking at what the positions of need were. When I seen a few people questioning Shy's list of offers and decided to chime in, I had spent along time wondering if it was the right thing to do. I was worried I may get the your kid sucks response..lol. With the exception of very few things I would say I got everything I was looking for and alot more. So it is you guys that need to be thanked.

The rest of us thank the 3 of you for spending so much time with us during the recruiting cycle. In my 50+ years of following Syracuse University Sports, this has been a great experience.
By giving us a peek through a window that is usually curtained, these folks have made the offseason a lot more informative and enjoyable.

Its great to be here! Thank you guys for being here to share all the information you guys have. Especially early on in this process all the info that was shared from stories of players and coaches to tailgating and hotel info. Where to eat who to buy apparel from. You guys have made this much easier. When I first decided to read here I was just looking for info on who the coaches where looking at what the positions of need were. When I seen a few people questioning Shy's list of offers and decided to chime in, I had spent along time wondering if it was the right thing to do. I was worried I may get the your kid sucks response..lol. With the exception of very few things I would say I got everything I was looking for and alot more. So it is you guys that need to be thanked.

I_love_you_too.gif

I just want to preface this by saying I don't generally like when parents post, because they (rightfully so) are a little bit too sensitive to the issues that us as fans/alums have with the program. When we see the program through a prism of wins, losses, good plays, bad plays, you as a parent see it through the prism of a quality place for your child to go to grow as a person and as a student-athlete. And it is understandable that we may - at times - see things differently.

But I would like to also say that your insight on everything has been very helpful to us fans/alums. It's very difficult for us to understand certain aspects of the program because many of us do not have the access. The perspective you share really is invaluable to this board and I am hopeful that Shy becomes a standout in football and in life.

We all want to win very, very badly - and sometimes the energy that we exert comes out negatively. Syracuse does not have a professional sports team, and SU football is treated very much like an NFL team (for better and for worse). There is an extreme amount of pessimism that stems from years of underachieving and disappointment, but there is also optimism prior to every year that this is the year it will turn around. There will be times that we as fans say things about certain student-athletes that do not deserve the criticism they receive, and may come out a little out of context. But even those that criticize do not mean anything personally - at least 99.99999% don't.

Syracuse University is a unique place - a special place - unlike most major D1 programs. It is very much like a family not only within the program but outside of it - I can't tell you how many times I will see someone wearing a Syracuse hat or shirt and say something like "CUSE!" or "LET'S GO ORANGE" and the person will turn, smile and say something right back. Sure, that probably happens within other fan bases but it just feels different with our group. We are a very prideful group and want to relive the glory years very badly. And we are very excited to have your son(s) along for the ride to help get us there.

I kind of rambled, but I hope you get my drift. Try to take things with a grain of salt and enjoy the 4-5 years that these kids are in the program. I am hopeful we're back where we belong in the Top 25 by the time graduation rolls around!

I can appreciate the fans passion. I just think it gets a little crazy. I mean I understand putting time into a team and feeling upset with losses (hell last night down 10 in the superbowl late I was screaming for brady to pick his head up...good thing he listened) But this is kids and 98 % will never play football again after school. I think you will get back to winning the next couple years. You just have to let this staff get a team of their own players together and give them some time to make it happen. I truly believe you have something great in this staff and I do my best to let you people know what they do... Top 25? I am from new england we only win championships

Thanks! That is exactly the type of info I wanted to know.

Very interesting insight. Thank you for taking the time to write it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom