Fans can attend taping of Jim Boeheim's appearance on YES Network's Center Stage | Syracusefan.com

Fans can attend taping of Jim Boeheim's appearance on YES Network's Center Stage

Really great interview. Very glad I went.

The interview covered JB's entire career - from growing up in Lyons through the move to the ACC.

Although I had already heard many of the stories, here are some of the stories that I had never heard, as well as JB's answers to certain questions posed by Michael Kay.

JB played against Tom Coughlin's high school (Waterloo) in hoops. It was unclear to me if he actually played against Coughlin since Coughlin is a couple years younger. JB was also Coughlin's RA when Coughlin was at Syracuse. JB said that Coughlin was one of the quietest, most mild-mannered guys on his floor - something at odds with his demeanor as an NFL coach.

Kay asked JB if he could turn back the clock and change the outcome of one game, what would it be? His answer was the sectional final his senior year against East Rochester - a triple overtime loss. He did say that had he not won it all in 2003, he is not sure that his answer would not have been the 87 game.

In his mind, his biggest recruiting miss was Sam Perkins.

Not sure what year this was but his coach at Scranton moved to the Pistons and offered JB a spot on the team. JB turned down a spot in the NBA because he knew he wasn't good enough to last in the NBA and because he had a good coaching situation at Syracuse at the time.

He clearly has a tremendous amount of respect for Coach K. Kay asked him if he was ever jealous of another coach. JB said that he envied Coach K's "mental approach to coaching". He did not elaborate on what that meant but clearly holds him in the highest regard.

Kay asked him what one coach he would not want to see on the other sideline for a NC game and his answer was Pitino.

His three top collegiate players in the last fifty years are Ewing, Mullin and Carmelo. Interestingly, his first two answers came out without hesitation. He paused and thought for a few before naming Carmelo. While he was thinking, I whispered "Carmelo" to the guy sitting next to me - so I got that right.

Said that the Pearl completely changed the nation's perception about SU. He said that he went out to California before Pearl and kids would have no idea where Syracuse was. After Pearl, he would go out there and baggage handlers in the airport would be telling him, "You're the Pearl's coach."

The one player that he never coached but really would have liked to is Chris Mullin. JB called him the smartest college basketball player he's ever seen.

He said that you cannot be a successful coach unless you are the most competitive guy in the room. And among all the most competitive guys in the room (ie. successful coaches), he called Calhoun the most, most competitive.

Of his early contemporaries in the Big East, he has the fondest memories of Carnasecca. Said he competed like he!! during each and every game but, when the game was over, he was a complete gentlemen each and every time.

Asked to name his biggest overachiever, he named GMAC - called him the toughest player he's ever coached.

He is writing a book with Jack McCallum which is due out next September.

More to come as I think of it...

Thanks.

How many people were in the audience? Did they have a Q&A with the fans?

Thanks.

How many people were in the audience? Did they have a Q&A with the fans?

To be honest, not exactly sure. Through pure happenstance, they put me in the front row and I never turned around. My guess is that, if every chair was filled, maybe 80.

When I got the tix, they said not to wear anything with logos on it but there were a bunch of people in SU gear.

There was no Q&A with the fans. Breaks in taping were short and there was no interaction with the fans during breaks.

The show did take a few fans outside to ask them questions before the show. After the show, one fan asked JB for a pic and he ended up posing for a bunch of pictures.

The "warm-up" guy was from Marcellus.

The interview covered JB's entire career - from growing up in Lyons through the move to the ACC.

Although I had already heard many of the stories, here are some of the stories that I had never heard, as well as JB's answers to certain questions posed by Michael Kay.

JB played against Tom Coughlin's high school (Waterloo) in hoops. It was unclear to me if he actually played against Coughlin since Coughlin is a couple years younger. JB was also Coughlin's RA when Coughlin was at Syracuse. JB said that Coughlin was one of the quietest, most mild-mannered guys on his floor - something at odds with his demeanor as an NFL coach.

Kay asked JB if he could turn back the clock and change the outcome of one game, what would it be? His answer was the sectional final his senior year against East Rochester - a triple overtime loss. He did say that had he not won it all in 2003, he is not sure that his answer would not have been the 87 game.

Not sure what year this was but his coach at Scranton moved to the Pistons and offered JB a spot on the team. JB turned down a spot in the NBA because he knew he wasn't good enough to last in the NBA and because he had a good coaching situation at Syracuse at the time.

He clearly has a tremendous amount of respect for Coach K. Kay asked him if he was ever jealous of another coach. JB said that he envied Coach K's "mental approach to coaching". He did not elaborate on what that meant but clearly holds him in the highest regard.

Kay asked him what one coach he would not want to see on the other sideline for a NC game and his answer was Pitino.

His three top collegiate players in the last fifty years are Ewing, Mullin and Carmelo. Interestingly, his first two answers came out without hesitation. He paused and thought for a few before naming Carmelo. While he was thinking, I whispered "Carmelo" to the guy sitting next to me - so I got that right.

Said that the Pearl completely changed the nation's perception about SU. He said that he went out to California before Pearl and kids would have no idea where Syracuse was. After Pearl, he would go out there and baggage handlers in the airport would be telling him, "You're the Pearl's coach."

The one player that he never coached but really would have liked to is Chris Mullin. JB called him the smartest college basketball player he's ever seen.

He said that you cannot be a successful coach unless you are the most competitive guy in the room. And among all the most competitive guys in the room (ie. successful coaches), he called Calhoun the most, most competitive.

Of his early contemporaries in the Big East, he has the fondest memories of Carnasecca. Said he competed like he!! during each and every game but, when the game was over, he was a complete gentlemen each and every time.

Asked to name his biggest overachiever, he named GMAC - called him the toughest player he's ever coached.

Fun report.. Thanks

Thanks! Not that you'd know this, but doesn't MaCallum's son or daughter go to/graduate from SU?

Other recollections plus stories he told that I had already heard...

NC filled a huge void.

JB thought SU had the best team in '87 but Indiana made the plays down the stretch.

He told the story about how he was hired at SU

He told the story about Pitino's Wedding Day and Honeymoon.

He told the story about how he, Juli, Pitino's wife and Pitino all picked their ideal places to live and JB picked Syracuse.

He talked about being against moving to Carrier Dome from Manley and about not wanting to go to the ACC the first time around. He did not want to be the only northern school in a southern league. And he thinks doing so has hurt BC. He now feels that the ACC is an east coast league with a northern component and a number of other ex Big east schools (Va Tech and Miami specifically) and that it is a much better fit than it was originally.

They briefly covered both the probation period and the Bernie Fine case.

He talked about the fact that Carmelo is not Lebron but that he is one of the best scorers in the world but that he'll never get a ring until he gets a Dwayne Wade (Lebron) or a Scottie Pippen (Jordan) or a Kobe (Shaq) and he does not have that second guy in NY.

Had he not gone to SU, he probably would have gone to Colgate to play hoops.

He roomed with Dave Bing and said that he learned a lot from Bing, both hoops-wise and life-wise.

Of all the people he talked about during the show, the sense I got is that the two people he has the utmost respect for are Bing and Coach K.

Bing introduced JB to motown music.

JB took Bing home during college and asked him to get something from the room-off-the-kitchen - which happened to be the embalming room (JB's family lived in the funeral home). He said Bing has never forgiven him for it.

He said that the Duke team that SU lost to in the Regional Finals in '66 was the best team in the tournament and that, if their best player (something - Verga) hadn't gotten sick and been unable to play against Kentucky, that Duke would have beaten Kentucky and Texas Western and Glory Road would never have been made.

He still marvels at how Fred Lewis was able to recruit Bing when Bing was one of the top recruits in the nation and SU had recently come off a stretch where they had lost 29 game sin a row.

He said that Danforth taught him a lot about how to deal with players.

Finally, as he got on the bus at the airport in NO, the host said to him, "This time we're gonna get it right". Looking at him, JB realized it was the same guy who had been their host in '87.

After the game was over, the host said to him, "See. I told you we were going to get it right this time."

Although I've heard the stories about his hiring and Pitino's honeymoon and, therefore, did not provide more detail, I am happy to for anyone who has not heard these stories.

I will not expand upon the Probation or the Bernie Fine case as nothing of substance, IMHO, was said.

Last edited:
This story alone would have been worth the trip:
JB took Bing home during college and asked him to get something from the room-off-the-kitchen - which happened to be the embalming room (JB's family lived in the funeral home). He said Bing has never forgiven him for it.

Meanwhile...this comment is not necessarily a good thing, at least not in terms of off court behavior:
He said that Danforth taught him a lot about how to deal with players.

"He said that the Duke team that SU lost to in the Regional Finals in '66 was the best team in the tournament and that, if their best player (something - Verga) hadn't gotten sick and been unable to play against Kentucky, that Duke would have beaten Kentucky and Texas Western and Glory Road would never have been made."

Little known fact about that 1966 Duke team. The son of Syracuse football legend Phil Allen Sr, *Phil Jr was on that Duke squad.
http://www.fanbase.com/Duke-Blue-Devils-Mens-Basketball-1965-66

Duke beat us 91-81 in that regional on March 12, 1966. Verga had 21 points, long time NBA player Jack Marin had 22, Steve Vacendak 19, Mike Lewis 16 and Bob Riedy 12.

Bing only scored 10 points against the Blue Devils on 4 of 14 shooting contributing 8 rebounds and 3 assists. George Hicker led the Orangemen with 17 on 7 of 20 followed by center Rick Dean's 16, he was four of eight, JB had 15 on 6 of 10 and 3 of 4 from the line, Vaughan Harper 13 on 5 of 12 and Ritchie Cornwall 10, he was 5 of 10. Other members of that team Sam Penceal (6 minutes), Norman Goldsmith (3 minutes) and Frank Nicolletti (1 minute) were scoreless.

The next season Bob Verga averaged 26 PPG.

That 1966 Kentucky team was coached by Adolph Rupp had three All Americans on it, 2nd team consensus AA Louis Dampier from Southport HS in Indianapolis, 3rd teamers Pat Riley from Linton HS in Schenectady and Thad Jaracz from Kentucky's Lafayette High.

That Wildcat squad was known as "Rupp's Runts"

*Phil Allen Jr was a teammate of mine in the over 40 league I started in the Town of Dewitt "Mid-Life Madness". Allen was one of four players in the league to have played in a Final Four. Matt Gant became the starting center at St Bonnie's when Bob Lanier was injured. Chris "Rocket Man" Sease was a starter for SU's 1975 team and Steve Shaw was it's 6th man.

Last edited: