FCS/Colgate Scheduling | Syracusefan.com

FCS/Colgate Scheduling

FloridaFan

2020 Cali Award Winner, Aka FloridaHam
I have been reading up on the old Syracuse/Colgate rivalry and i am wondering why we dont just play them every year as our FCS game. They are a close game so it has a name that some casual fans may be interested in and they are a decent FCS team. Plus its not like bringing in other FCS schools from elsewhere helps recruiting. Just a thought and i am interested in hearing everyone's idea on the matter

Not sure whats in it for us and the risk factor isn't worth it to schedule any FCS team that could make their playoffs. I assume we will play them as much in the future any other FCS school (every 5 years or so.)

BTW I really want to cancel the Cornell basketball series until Buddy is no longer on the team.

Not sure whats in it for us and the risk factor isn't worth it to schedule any FCS team that could make their playoffs. I assume we will play them as much in the future any other FCS school (every 5 years or so.)

BTW I really want to cancel the Cornell basketball series until Buddy is no longer on the team.
Really? I would love to know why. We have been playing those guys for 100 years. Why cancel it because of Buddy?

Really? I would love to know why. We have been playing those guys for 100 years. Why cancel it because of Buddy?

Just a little unfair to a guy at the end of the rotation to have a game where he is the main story.

we played colgate practically 67 years. I think its sad the tradition died of playing them simply cause they went FCS.

Can’t do it yearly as it will be boring for SU fans and Colgate fans aren’t likely to go every year. Make it once in four years and you might get a few people to show up. The other three I would go with Holy Cross (traditional opponent), Fordham (NY State and less scholarships since Patriot League), and Bucknell (just for the heck of it).

Can’t do it yearly as it will be boring for SU fans and Colgate fans aren’t likely to go every year. Make it once in four years and you might get a few people to show up. The other three I would go with Holy Cross (traditional opponent), Fordham (NY State and less scholarships since Patriot League), and Bucknell (just for the heck of it).
SU-Colgate is boring? What do you call SU-Wagner?

Canning SU-Cornell is a terrible move.

They can be in the rotation but it’s not a rivalry.
Colgate/Wagner/Rhode Island/Central Connecticut just rotate tomato cans.

I have been reading up on the old Syracuse/Colgate rivalry and i am wondering why we dont just play them every year as our FCS game. They are a close game so it has a name that some casual fans may be interested in and they are a decent FCS team. Plus its not like bringing in other FCS schools from elsewhere helps recruiting. Just a thought and i am interested in hearing everyone's idea on the matter
The problem playing teams like Colgate every year is they treat you like their Super Bowl and their “rival.” When things don’t go their way teams can get chippy. Colgate pretty much wrecked Ted Gregory’s career in this very scenario. Colgate played extremely dirty in the latter part of the game. Ted was a beast!

You can market the Colgate game if it is every 3+ years. You cannot under that. We can get a decent crowd since Colgate would bring fans.
Does “no hoodoo” bring fans, or do Colgate fans just travel short distances better than fans of other fcs schools do markedly longer distances?

My money is that the fan support is from proximity (which won’t erode), and if you’re going to eat a cupcake, you might as well give announcers something to talk about.

we played colgate practically 67 years. I think its sad the tradition died of playing them simply cause they went FCS.
The series was ended by Colgate. Syracuse wanted to keep playing. It had nothing to do with Colgate deciding to play FCS.

Colgate loved playing Syracuse while they were winning most of the games, but when things changed and Syracuse emerged as the dominant team, they took their ball and went home. It was a very Colgate thing to do.

Sire, I hate to break it to you but all four teams you mentioned -- Colgate, Holy Cross, Fordham and Bucknell -- play their football in the Patriot League. And that's okay with me. I am a Lafayette fan, although if Syracuse plays the Pards or Colgate or whatever, I am 100% Orange.

Sire, I hate to break it to you but all four teams you mentioned -- Colgate, Holy Cross, Fordham and Bucknell -- play their football in the Patriot League. And that's okay with me. I am a Lafayette fan, although if Syracuse plays the Pards or Colgate or whatever, I am 100% Orange.
We should be playing Colgate among a rotation of schools like Albany, Wagner, Stony Brook, Fordham and UConn (when they drop to 1-AA)

Colgate is actually the best value for Cuse as Colgate takes the lowest fee of all schools since they are a 45-50 minute bus ride away.

Thanks to our wins in recent decades we've now tied Colgate in the all-time series, 31-31-5. We have to play them at least once more!
As an SU alum, I like the series because three generations of my relatives went to Colgate.

We should be playing Colgate among a rotation of schools like Albany, Wagner, Stony Brook, Fordham and UConn (when they drop to 1-AA)

Colgate is actually the best value for Cuse as Colgate takes the lowest fee of all schools since they are a 45-50 minute bus ride away.
Mark ahead of his time with the prediction. I for one await the easy FCS win

Open each season in the Dome vs. Colgate. Then a home-and-home with Army. Then a MAC/CUSA/AAC type school. Then a power five school. Then the ACC schedule.

Open each season in the Dome vs. Colgate. Then a home-and-home with Army. Then a MAC/CUSA/AAC type school. Then a power five school. Then the ACC schedule.

View attachment 167065
Army should get a 2-1, and nothing more.

...And they’re lucky (to the extent that they care about my emotional well being) that I’m not not flipping out over that due to the Lambert debacle last year.

...And they’re lucky (to the extent that they care about my emotional well being) that I’m not not flipping out over that due to the Lambert debacle last year.

They are just down the Thruway and everybody says what a great venue West Point is for a game. We should have been playing Army annually since the early days of football.

Army is a historic power in college football...and West Point is a national treasure. They deserve a 1 for 1.

Army is a historic power in college football...and West Point is a national treasure. They deserve a 1 for 1.
I plan on flying up for one of the games at West Point. Looking forward to it!

Unless they bring enough $$ to justify a 1-1 (they don’t), nothing against the military or service academies, but let some other school be patriotic.

There’s almost no upside to playing Army as an equal. Winning is expected. Losing is a big letdown. And, I don’t know what their offense is like, but I’m guessing it’s option-based, making them an injury liability.

View attachment 167065
The ACC Network will dictate a different schedule. Colgate every year would not be good. Any non-top FCS/Yukon type would do (Maine, Rhode Island, Wagner, Stony Brook, etc.).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom