FIFA 2014 World Cup all-purpose thread | Page 51 | Syracusefan.com

FIFA 2014 World Cup all-purpose thread

I finally saw The Two Escobars last night. What a great documentary. It really puts that 1994 WC in perspective. To think the players were in the US trying to play games and fearing for the safety of their families at home...unimaginable pressure. I'm all for James bringing this Cup home for those guys.

AND GERMANY STRIKES FIRST!!! I hope there are lots of goals in this one.

I finally saw The Two Escobars last night. What a great documentary. It really puts that 1994 WC in perspective. To think the players were in the US trying to play games and fearing for the safety of their families at home...unimaginable pressure. I'm all for James bringing this Cup home for those guys.

That whole "Soccer Stories" series on Netflix is pretty awesome. The Two Escobars is my favorite 30-for-30.

images

No doubt we're in a good place as far as qualifying, and that's ultimately the name of the game. We've only "lost" 9 points at home in the Hex since 1998 (1 loss to Honduras, and 3 ties). As long as we continue to take care of business at home, we'll secure our spot.

We'll certainly continue to increase the quality of our "friendly" opponents under Klinsmann. Road games against Belgium, Bosnia, France, Italy, Slovenia, Ukraine, Russia, Scotland, and Austria thus far from UEFA. Can't be long before we play in Spain or Germany.
The USA was the first to ever beat Italy in Genoa when we played them their in 2012. We played in Spain under Bradley right before the Euro 2008 competition. We lost 1-0 in a game we played really tough in. I agree @ Germany seems likely in the near future as we played them at home last year. I also heard the USMNT and Iran are working on a home/home friendly series which would be crazy but if it helped then fine.

I still need to see it

That whole "Soccer Stories" series on Netflix is pretty awesome. The Two Escobars is my favorite 30-for-30.
The 2 Escobars came out in 2010 and when I first started the USMNT was the 94 WC here. That win over Columbia was crazy and remember when Andres was murdered it was my introduction as a kid to really sad things like death. I hope Columbia can get a star on the crest so they can overcome that tragedy.

I still need to see it

It really is well done. Such a tragic story. Escobar was on the brink of playing for Real Madrid and starting what would have been a great professional career. Several of Escobar's teammates actually gave up club soccer in-country after that happened. Including Valderama. All the teams were being run by drug money and kingpins.

Neuer just stone colded blocked Benzema. That was France's shot. Neuer is probably the best or 2nd best keeper in the world. Howard is top 5 but its Neuer or Courteris for me.

Watching partially shaded fields on TV really sucks. It takes the camera a second to adjust.

Neuer just stone colded blocked Benzema. That was France's shot. Neuer is probably the best or 2nd best keeper in the world. Howard is top 5 but its Neuer or Courteris for me.

Petr Cech is still absurd. It's tough to rate keepers that play on top club teams though because they rarely get tested.

Petr Cech is still absurd. It's tough to rate keepers that play on top club teams though because they rarely get tested.
Where is Cech going to go? Chelsea has to give the keys to Courteis. Cech and his helmet will have to be moved.
My top 5 in the world no order.
Tim Howard, Courteis, Neuer, De Gea, Cech.

Where is Cech going to go? Chelsea has to give the keys to Courteis. Cech and his helmet will have to be moved.
My top 5 in the world no order.
Tim Howard, Courteis, Neuer, De Gea, Cech.

It's tough to say top 5 in the world because I don't follow many leagues that closely. My top 5 in the EPL this past season in no particular order would be Cech, Howard, De Gea, Speroni, and Begovic.

Edit~ oh and Cech would look great in Merseyside for a couple years. Mignolet is still a bit green and would do well to learn under him especially as it pertains to taking charge in the box.

Last edited:
Brazil over Chile, Columbia over Uruguay
Netherlands over Mexico, Costa Rica over Greece
Germany over Algeria, France over Nigeria
Argentina over Switzerland, Belgium over USA

Almost the same as Alsacs.
And then it changes...

Columbia over Brazil, Germany over France
Netherlands over Costa Rica, Belgium over Argentina

Germany over Columbia, Netherlands over Belgium ("Battle of the Low Countries")

Netherlands over Germany ("Revenge for '74") *

* I'm a bit biased. I also don't think anyone will get these all correct if they only make one set of picks.
9 for 9

It's tough to say top 5 in the world because I don't follow many leagues that closely. My top 5 in the EPL this past season in no particular order would be Cech, Howard, De Gea, Speroni, and Begovic.

Edit~ oh and Cech would look great in Merseyside for a couple years. Mignolet is still a bit green and would do well to learn under him especially as it pertains to taking charge in the box.
Lloris is the best keeper in the Premier League. De Gea and Speroni? Don't make me laugh harder.

Apparently I overestimated Colombia. That and Brazil came to play.

I also heard the USMNT and Iran are working on a home/home friendly series which would be crazy but if it helped then fine.
That would be great. It would be interesting to see if the US actually went to Iran. I went to US-Iran at France '98 in Lyon. The Iranian fans couldn't have been nicer. Of course, 98% of the Iranian fans were exiles living in the West.

Apparently I overestimated Colombia. That and Brazil came to play.
Columbia really hasn't played anyone good this World Cup. They had one of the weakest groups, then played a Suarez-less Uruguay which isn't very good either.

I don't have the numbers handy but I've never felt Cech was great at penalties.